What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How Not to Sell a Hot Tub  (Read 9524 times)

Racenut

Re: How Not to Sell a Hot Tub
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 07:06:04 pm »
I have been trying to figure out what those white bar things are for on that first picture?   :o

My guess is "Surround Sound" lol

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 07:06:04 pm »

amy2421

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 09:29:10 pm »
That $200 tub looks like it is sitting right next to their trash bin... where it belongs! LOL!

Seriously though, would anyone allow a stranger to wet-test their used tub that they were selling? I can definitely see running it with jets working and heated water...

Topline Mike

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 10:18:55 pm »
I bought used, and the tub was 8 hours away.  I had the lady take a video of the tub running and the path to get the tub out of their back yard.  I took a chance, and it paid off.  A 6 month old tub at 50% off. 

We also did a wet test at a stranger's house.  Very weird, but I'm glad we did it.  Another newer tub at half price.  Found out after wet test it was just too small for my family. 

av8r

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 07:46:39 am »
I bought used, and the tub was 8 hours away.  I had the lady take a video of the tub running and the path to get the tub out of their back yard.  I took a chance, and it paid off.  A 6 month old tub at 50% off. 

We also did a wet test at a stranger's house.  Very weird, but I'm glad we did it.  Another newer tub at half price.  Found out after wet test it was just too small for my family.

Deals are out there.  I found a 9 month old Jetsetter 6 hours away for $4200.  Nearly bought it.

flipflopper

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 10:08:25 am »
Ah, the Jetsetter. Exactly what I'm looking for  ;D
One or two recent models came across my Craigslist in the past year but when I wasn't really serious. They sat for a while even at a good price ($2,500) but I wonder if that wasn't because they were empty and not hooked up.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 10:10:37 am by flipflopper »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 07:07:12 pm »
It's all good information flip flop.

I used to make side money hauling away old tubs (mostly free ones) and refurbishing for sale. Along with service. Got a 7 yo D1 Diplomat once for free because the guy said it leaked and he bought a different tub, I didn't argue. Put about 400 bucks in parts and the same in labor and sold it for 2500. It was full and hot and used by me in my garage when I sold it. I have 100's more examples just like this. If done right it can be lucrative with plenty of buyers and sellers/givers awayers. But alas I couldn't make a living out of it so had to have a real job also (fleet/equipment manager (166 trucks and vans) for a mechanical contractor 25 years). I am about to stop maintaining my actual plumbing license, I never use it and won't ever again. I thought I wanted to be a plumber but really didn't plumb for more than 5-8 years before being offered a different job in a different field. Maybe I was a lousy plumber? Or I hated dealing with poop?

I also cut plenty of tubs up with chainsaw/sawzall and hauled them to the dump! Generally around 40-50 bucks to dispose of a truck full of fiberglass, foam and wood/plastic/stuff. 20-30 bucks for fuel. Steel motors/pumps and heater tubes brought 10-15 cents per pound. If you clean the copper from the motors you can get a lot more but, that's a lot of work. I charge 200-400 for a disposal.

The days of 2 jobs are over at almost 60.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 07:07:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42