What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozonator and Ace Salt System - Using both?  (Read 6004 times)

n.one.one

Ozonator and Ace Salt System - Using both?
« on: December 13, 2015, 04:50:32 pm »
After having a Hot Spring Model D for 31 years I've purchased a Grandee NXT. I ordered the ACE salt water system and the Grandee comes with the ozone system. Originally I planned to have them disconnect the ozone and only use the salt system. After doing some research I'm starting to think about running both salt and ozone.

I look forward to any opinions pro or con but would especially like to hear from those who are running both salt and ozone. Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Ozonator and Ace Salt System - Using both?
« on: December 13, 2015, 04:50:32 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Ozonator and Ace Salt System - Using both?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 04:59:32 pm »
When I was selling Hot Spring I did sell a few ACE systems where the customer wanted the ozone + ACE so it definitely can be done and technically speaking if you purchased a Grandee NXT you already purchased the ozone which is a standard item included from the factory so that cost is already built into what you paid for the spa, dealers are taking advantage by pulling out the ozones and re-selling them retail.

If you are anticipating an above average bather load then I would just have them keep the ozone in the unit.  MUCH MUCH more importantly with the ACE is setting the system up the proper way, you MUST remove all metals from the water (if any are present), balance pH & Alkalinity and make sure you're calcium levels are at/under 75ppm or the system will not work properly

n.one.one

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:19:59 pm »
Thanks for the advice TwinCities. I do understand that using the ACE system requires a very specific effort to keep everything in line.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:07:07 pm »
And test for phosphates.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

kporter

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 11:29:39 am »
We have been instructed that the ozonator must be pulled from the hot tub if ace is being installed. Whether or not this is so we can take advantage of the ozonator I cannot say for sure. but...
Based on my experience in the showroom and at customers homes I would say the ozone effects the aces system ability to hold a residual of chlorine.

chem geek

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 11:54:46 pm »
Ozone will oxidize chlorine to chloride and chlorate.  This happens regardless of whether there is an Ace system or not.  So they are right in the sense that if the Ace system doesn't produce sufficient chlorine then an ozonator can use up the chlorine faster than it is produced so the net chlorine level will be too low.  This would also be true if a saltwater chlorine generator was used that didn't produce enough chlorine, but most are able to provide plenty even if an ozonator is used.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 03:30:53 pm »
And test for phosphates.

this too....VERY important, we remove phosphates during "spa orientation" and have our customers who are on Salt Water (technically the one we sell is a Bromine generator vs. Chlorine with the ACE system but similar principles and operation) using phosphate free filter cleaner

n.one.one

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 11:05:16 am »
Thanks for the information. Monitoring phosphate level came as a surprise and I now intend to do that.

With regard to using both systems there is an old (2005) article about using both ozone and salt systems and it can be found by googling "Using Ozone With Chlorine Generators" . The premise seems to be that the ozone oxidizes and helps reduce the amount of chlorine needed. In theory this would extend the life of the salt cell. I would look forward to any opinions about this theory.

Here is a link to the article: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiJy8zopejJAhWJ5CYKHfiVCL0QFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.waterquality.net%2Fupload%2Ffmarticleso%2FOzone_with_Chlorine_Generators_1.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFr8ZyTGWbGb5ucyTVBdtdgcVcHLA&sig2=59Wmxs2idvJmzKHHIchw5Q&cad=rja
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 11:39:32 am by n.one.one »

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 11:35:41 am »
Thanks for the information. Monitoring phosphate level came as a surprise and I now intend to do that.

With regard to using both systems there is an old (2005) article about using both ozone and salt systems and it can be found by googling "Using Ozone With Chlorine Generators" . The premise seems to be that the ozone oxidizes and helps reduce the amount of chlorine needed. In theory this would extend the life of the salt cell. I would look forward to any opinions about this theory.

As a newbie I probably can't insert a link to the article, but I'll try here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiJy8zopejJAhWJ5CYKHfiVCL0QFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.waterquality.net%2Fupload%2Ffmarticleso%2FOzone_with_Chlorine_Generators_1.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFr8ZyTGWbGb5ucyTVBdtdgcVcHLA&sig2=59Wmxs2idvJmzKHHIchw5Q&cad=rja

I'm not sure about extending the life, I suppose if you are turning the system down on a regular basis it could slightly extend the life just like continually hitting the boost feature can take some life off the cell which I believe is rated for 14000 hours

chem geek

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 05:25:06 pm »
Ozone only helps in situations where there is high bather load.  If you are using the spa every day or two, then yes the ozone helps because it oxidizes some of the bather waste so that chlorine doesn't have to and that lets you turn down the chlorine generator and extend its life.

However, if the bather load is lower, say only using the spa on weekends with not many people and not a long time, then an ozonator will INCREASE chlorine demand so the chlorine generator will have to be on LONGER in between soaks to make up for the chlorine that is consumed by ozone.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 05:25:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42