What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Freshwater III Ozonator Output Broken  (Read 4578 times)

superguh

Freshwater III Ozonator Output Broken
« on: December 08, 2015, 04:24:40 pm »
Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps someone else searching for what I couldn't find or helps me in case there is a disaster.

Tinkering around trying to fix a no heat problem, I broke off the output from my Freshwater III Ozonator. The repairman came and replaced the recirc pump to get it hot again, but said those output valves are not replaceable in the old style (came with my Jetsetter in 2010), so I would need a whole new unit for $300-400. So, he unplugged it and I'm back to tinkering. The recirc now makes an annoying bubbling sound (which goes away if I cap the O3 hose) and from the posts I did find here, I really want that running.

The output hose had become very brittle and coated with white gunk, I guess nitric acid; it was also nearly opaque yellow. I followed the cleaning instructions and ran a cup of vinegar through it which didn't seem to do much. My first thought was to jam the hose onto what was left of the output nozzle (basically just the threaded part), so to soften it up, I soaked the end in boiled water. Unlike the vinegar, the hot water was dissolving the white gunk, so I massaged some out and soon realized the hose no longer had negative pressure. I guess the gunk got swept up and stuck somewhere causing a blockage. Reminded me to work on lowering my cholesterol. I couldn't blow it out, so I dragged the whole thing out to clean, and surprise, the brittle hose snapped in a place where it was deformed from being stuck between a pipe and a wall. Figuring the gunk was all stuck in the side closer to the ozonator, I used a spare 1/4" hose as a jumper that fits around the hose and the threaded output nozzle. Probably not very well because I am still getting bubbling. Is that normal when the ozonator is off? I haven't tried to power it up yet since the repairman really cranked the circuit board cover closed and I started to strip the screw. While I'm waiting to deal with that, happy to take any input. Considering getting some hose clamps if it appears close to workable.

Hot Tub Forum

Freshwater III Ozonator Output Broken
« on: December 08, 2015, 04:24:40 pm »

superguh

Re: Freshwater III Ozonator Output Broken
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 04:26:24 pm »
Looks like the image didn't work

http://imgur.com/dI4JNM4

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 05:59:31 pm »
 If the circ pump is running you are going to get bubbles doesn't matter if the ozonator is on it's the circ pulling air into the line via the mazzi injector.    Can you confirm if the ozonator is even still working?  If over 4 or 5 years old it's probably not.   Spending 400 for a new one is about 300 too much.  You can get a nice Del Zone for a lot less. 

I never understood why people try cleaning the hose, it's like 40 cents a foot for new so why not just replace it and the check valves.   

superguh

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 07:01:16 pm »
To clarify when I say bubbling I mean audibly. Before the circ pump died, there were very small bubbles and no sound, which still happens when I plug the O3 tube.

That's a good point about the ozonator possibly having failed. I would have never noticed, but it will be tough to tell now that I can't be sure of the hose fitting either. If it's kaput, I will just get new hoses and valves with a new unit, but I was trying to get it put back together today and wasn't sure my PVC hose would be a good choice for the whole line.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 08:10:52 pm »
Dump the ozone! My tub hasn't had ozone for about 8 years and I unplugged the stupid thing about 5 years ago.

Plug the hole and don't worry about it. Buy some aquarium silicone or epoxy putty for the hole and it'll cost under $5 to fix.

If you really want ozone then follow Jim's advice - Del makes probably most of the ozone systems out there; JED is another manufacturer that seems to have a nice unit for about $100. If you need an injector - you can get them on line.

Flyonthewall

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 06:43:14 pm »
I'm with you vinny.  I had ozone and started getting lung irritation while soaking.  I had heard other people saying that ozone could cause this.  I uninstalled it and have never had the feeling since.  I don't find the water significantly different without it.  my tub is not big.  in a larger spa, with more soakers, ozone might be more worthwhile.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 06:43:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42