What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1st drain/refill  (Read 7396 times)

skizit

Re: 1st drain/refill
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 08:09:25 am »
The Ahhsome came yesterday. The instructions say to run the the jets for 10 sec after draining. Will this cause any issues since the pumps will run dry and the heater will be on? Our tub instructions say to never run the pumps or heater unless the tub is full. My thought is to take the hose and spray into the jets with the drain open.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 08:09:25 am »

jbequer

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 09:55:32 am »
I used this product with great success and never ran the jets after draining, not sure where you read that ?? I wouldn't do that, just run while tub is full, then drain clean and refill. I did three purges, even with a new tub i had a lot of junk in there from water left inside the pipes while new in the factory. Its pretty nasty what came out of these inner pipes.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:57:35 am by jbequer »

Quickbeam

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 11:49:53 am »
The Ahhsome came yesterday. The instructions say to run the the jets for 10 sec after draining. Will this cause any issues since the pumps will run dry and the heater will be on? Our tub instructions say to never run the pumps or heater unless the tub is full. My thought is to take the hose and spray into the jets with the drain open.

I would NEVER have the power to my tub with no water in it. I'm not a tech., but I just can't imagine running the pumps, or even having the power connected, with no water. I've used Ahh-Some many times and have never done this.

skizit

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 01:28:16 pm »
I used this product with great success and never ran the jets after draining, not sure where you read that ??

It's on the label on the back of the 6 oz jar of AhhSome I just received. So I just called Unique Solutions and spoke with Jerry. He said it was not necessary to run the jets even briefly and recommended following instructions that came in the owners manual for draining the tub.

Jostudly

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 05:15:57 pm »
Funny you say this. I read the same instructions on the back stating to run the jets after draining which I thought would damage the tub. I did this for a about 10 secs and nothing came out of the jets. Luckily there is always a little bit of water still in the jets and pipes so I don't think I damaged anything. I did call Jerry at Unique Solutions as well and I advised him that these instructions should be changed so hopefully they will. How did you make out with the product? Did you get any yellow or brown bio-film after draining?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:18:13 pm by Jostudly »

skizit

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 05:47:10 pm »
I'll be doing the purge/drain tomorrow or Sat depending on the WX here. I'll post the results when I'm done.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:49:27 pm by skizit »

skizit

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 10:34:42 am »
So I added about 3 teaspoons of AhhSome to our tub and ran the jets on high for 30 minutes. I didn't notice any dark matter  but a ring 3-4" tall of bright lime green scum/slime at the waterline of the tub, which I wiped off. I also removed the headrest/pillows as per the instructions from Jerry at Unique Solutions. The same green gunk was on them, mostly the back side. So I've wiped down the tub and rinsed it including the filter area and used a shop vac to suck up the bit of remaining water in the seats and at the base. I'm about to start refilling the tub.

I guess we didn't have as many issues in our plumbing that some have reported on here  but it definitely did clean out some schmutz. I didn't foam up as much as I expected, only about 2-3 inches. It didn't flow over the rim of the tub.

By the way we never noticed any buildup at the waterline except a bit of white oily scum on the top edge of the filter weir. I usually wiped it off when I saw it but left it on this time while using the AhhSome.  It was gone after running the jets for 30 minutes.

AhhSome seems to have worked well for us.

skizit

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 04:57:11 pm »
So it's been 4 hrs since I finished filling the tub. The water has gone from 52F to 86F and looks great. I have a few more chemicals to add, bromine, and stain/scale control to remove a bit of iron and copper and by 8 PM we should be all set to check out our clean tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 04:57:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42