What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water/Chemical levels questions!!!  (Read 6471 times)

chem geek

Re: Water/Chemical levels questions!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 12:20:35 pm »
The World Health Organization (WHO) Free Available Chlorine (FAC) limit for swimming pools as described in this link is as follows:

It is recommended that acceptable levels of free chlorine continue to be set at the local level, but in public and semi-public pools these should not exceed 3 mg/l and in public and semi-public hot tubs should not exceed 5 mg/l. It is recommended that total bromine does not exceed 4 mg/l in public and semi-public pools and 5 mg/l in hot tubs.

The EPA limit is based on drinking water standards and is 4 ppm as shown in this link.
This discussion from NCCEH in Canada describes maximum Free Available Chlorine (FAC) of 5 ppm or 10 ppm depending on the province/territory or other source.

The states of Florida and Wisconsin allow FC up to 10 ppm in their state codes.  Florida's code specifically states the following:

2. Disinfection – Free chlorine residual shall be 1 milligram per liter (mg/L) to 10 mg/L, inclusive, in conventional swimming pools and 2 mg/L to 10 mg/L, inclusive, in all other type pools such as spa-type pools and interactive water fountains; bromine residual shall be 1.5 mg/L to 10 mg/L, inclusive, in conventional swimming pools and 3 mg/L to 10 mg/L, inclusive, in all other type pools. Except that, the following maximum disinfectant levels shall apply to indoor conventional swimming pools: 5 mg/L free chlorine or 6 mg/L bromine.

The reason for the lower limit indoors is that typically CYA is not used indoors (even though it probably should at low levels such as 20 ppm).

The reason for such variations is that none of these agencies have an understanding of the chlorine/CYA relationship.  CYA significantly moderates chlorine's strength.  In pool water at cooler temperatures, 10 ppm FC with 50 ppm CYA at pH 7.5 has the same active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) level as 0.09 ppm FC with no CYA while at hot spa temperatures of 104ºF, it's equivalent to 0.51 ppm FC with no CYA.

This is the main reason why commercial/public pools and spas with > 1 ppm FC and no CYA (typically indoors or spas, but sometimes outdoor pools) are much harsher on swimsuits, skin, and hair.  So if you have CYA in the water, say from using Dichlor, then you shouldn't worry about higher FC levels being unsafe.  The FC would only come into play if you were to drink the water in large quantities.  Drinking water standards limit FAC to 4 ppm assuming drinking 2 liters of water every day for a lifetime.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 12:20:35 pm »

sksmoker

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 12:36:18 pm »
Vinny - The Aquafinesse kit they sold me actually came with another free bottle of the spa tabs and a floater device, looks like a little blue and white UFO.  I just didn't bother to use it, stuck with the tiny plastic container placed in the filter cover that they recommended on delivery, since, again, it seems to be keeping the levels pretty stable.  Is it bad/unhealthy to have the chlorine level on the slightly high side of the 'good' range on the test strips?

Thx

I would use the floater. You can control the water flow over the puck much better that having it by the filter imho. I have the floater with the mini tabs, and I have mine open about 1/8". Plus you can stack 8 or so pucks in there so you don't have to worry about running out for awhile. The pucks are really acidic so your PH will drop with the constant addition of acid from them. You want to find the balancing act of having it open enough to keep chlorine in the tub but not so much that is makes your water go crazy. With my 440 gal tub at 1/8" open on the floater I keep about .5ppm in the tub with no extra addition of chlorine. i could probably put it a bit lower, but I just haven't tried it. My wife and I use the tub about 5 times a week for 1-1.5hrs at a time @ 100(summer)-102F (winter). That should give you some idea of chlorine demand. I go through a stack of mini tabs in my floater about every 2-2.5 weeks which I think is acceptable. I do not have an ozonator in my tub either.

I balance my water twice a week because I am crazy (mainly) to keep my water in line. Mostly I use borax to push up the PH as it drops the most. Sometimes I adjust TA and PH with baking soda as well. I use the BBB method but with the floater of mini pucks ph will drop so a bit more attention is needed.

just my 2C

Gibson00

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 12:44:57 pm »
Thanks, might give the floater a try.  The mini holder I'm using has been consistant, but maybe its keeping too high a level.  Even when starting with new water yesterday, my pH was still high, and my TA low.  So I added some baking soda to up the TA, then some adjust down to try to lower the pH.  Things look OK this morning.  :)  Just got an email saying my taylor kit is in the mail.  :)

Quickbeam

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 05:03:31 pm »

sksmoker,
Just curious where in Canada you are located? We are in the Vancouver area.

I'm in South Sask. About 24hrs drive from Vancouver :)

My wife is from Moosejaw.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 05:03:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42