What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Optimal gravel base  (Read 10382 times)

newtubbub

Optimal gravel base
« on: March 15, 2016, 10:24:11 pm »
Alright, I know that there have been debates about what the "best" base is - but I have decided to use a pea gravel base for now (planning on redoing my entire back yard next year).

I've read various topics about how much to layer/type of layering to use. Looking for some input on my specific situation before I get started. First off, my house was built in 1984 - my wife and I recently bought and remodeled it, so I'm not sure what the history of it is in terms of excavation and so forth.

From what I have gathered, it's best to do 4" of depth. The first 2" with leveling decomposed gravel, then a layer of weed barrier and then finish it off with 2" of pea gravel (looking at pea pebbles to be more specific).

Thoughts? Is it overkill? My ground is pretty un level so I have a lot to do to level things out.

Hot Tub Forum

Optimal gravel base
« on: March 15, 2016, 10:24:11 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Optimal gravel base
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 10:24:19 am »
Add some sand, cement, water and mix thoroughly and you should be fine.   ::)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Topline Mike

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 11:56:29 am »
What Dr Spa said, concrete. 

Unless you're placing the hot tub with a crane, you can't move it around the pad without disturbing the pea gravel.  If it's just a temporary thing, it could work. 

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 02:38:24 pm »
the "best" base in concrete, no arguing that...only reason to do any other surface would be to save money...do it right or do it twice! :-)

richierich

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 05:47:57 pm »
Since pea gravel does not compact, it would not be a good choice.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 06:32:46 pm »
Class 2 limestone 6-8" compacted with a plate compacter every 2 inches. On top of that build a treated 4x4 and 3/4 plywood platform. No more than about 10" on center for the 4x4's. top it with 3/4 treated plywood. As good as concrete and better in northern sub zero climates. Easier to adjust than concrete when it moves. Not if it moves when it moves. Frost does weird things to concrete up here.
Retired

skizit

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 07:07:22 pm »
We dug down 15" to subsoil, plate compacted 3/4" crushed gravel, 3 X 3" lifts. Then geo-textile road fabric followed by 6" of washed 1.5" stone,  compacted in several lifts. On top we put  a  pavilion, started dead level, still dead level.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 01:20:10 am »
I threw down a frame on the bare dirt, leveled it, fitted it half way with concrete, threw in a bunch of wire coat hangers for reinforcement, mixed and poured some more concrete, realized I was about 2 bags short, so threw in some chunks of old Broken concrete, finished it off with the remaining concrete, skreeted it off, and my hot tubs (2 actually) been sitting there fine and dandy for 26 years.

Take THAT Tman hahahahahahahahha (seriously, that's what my hot tub sits on.

To anyone that, unlike me at the time, DOESN'T get free hot tubs, I DO NOT recommend doing it "my way"!

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 06:35:41 am »
I threw down a frame on the bare dirt, leveled it, fitted it half way with concrete, threw in a bunch of wire coat hangers for reinforcement, mixed and poured some more concrete, realized I was about 2 bags short, so threw in some chunks of old Broken concrete, finished it off with the remaining concrete, skreeted it off, and my hot tubs (2 actually) been sitting there fine and dandy for 26 years.

Take THAT Tman hahahahahahahahha (seriously, that's what my hot tub sits on.

To anyone that, unlike me at the time, DOESN'T get free hot tubs, I DO NOT recommend doing it "my way"!

Yea your in a part of the country that has people who would DIE if the temp got below 60 aren't you?
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 10:23:18 am »
more like 65

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 10:23:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42