What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1st drain/refill  (Read 7397 times)

skizit

1st drain/refill
« on: November 15, 2015, 09:40:52 am »
We got our hot tub in early July and for the most part have been able to keep the water fine. We had a couple of brief somewhat cloudy periods that we were able to correct. I balance/shock weekly and clean the filters monthly. Our tub is 250 gal, has ozone and we use bromine.

We plan to drain and refill our tub soon before winter hit here in NH and I'm wondering if we should add and circulate anything before we drain the tub to clean the plumbing. If we do I'm guessing we will need to refill and flush the tub before a final refill. We are on a shallow well and must fill the tub gradually over several hrs.

thanks,

max

Hot Tub Forum

1st drain/refill
« on: November 15, 2015, 09:40:52 am »

Jostudly

Re: 1st drain/refill
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 10:22:24 am »
I used Ahhsome to clean the plumbing in my tub and it works great. Gets rid of all the biofilm in the tub that was left from water testing at factory. Also I recommend you buy a 2nd filter and clean weekly. Enjoy your new tub.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 10:40:17 am »
If you're not having issues then since you're on a well you may want to think about how using 500 gallons will affect your well (have you had enough rain or is the water table high enough to accommodate all the water). If the answer is yes, then I certainly would get Ahh-some and do as Jostudy said.

skizit

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 11:08:46 am »
Thanks, I'll try Ahh-Some  just to be sure. I've already pulled a few jets and they seem completely clean. Any recommendations on how long to run it for and rinse it, etc other than the directions on the pkg?  I looked up the instructions online and it seems they just recommend (purging) running it through all the jets, piping before draining for .5 hrs and then just to rinse and wipe out the tub prior to refilling. They don't seem to suggest you refill and flush out with clean water before draining and refilling again.

We do have a shallow well/spring that has never gone dry in 30+ years we've been here but I filled it the 1st time for 20 minutes, wait 20 minutes etc and it took about 2 hrs doing it that way. If I could skip the purge/drain/refill/drain/refill again step that would be great.

Jostudly

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 11:15:40 am »
No need to drain a second time. If there is anything left in the pipes you should see it the next time you drain the tub.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 11:30:52 am »
I say see how once you put the ahh-some in how gunky the water gets in order to determine how long to keep it in there. I used it on my neglected tub and had to use 3 doses of the product to get the tub clean. Running for 1/2 hour may be enough; you might also want to add enough whatever to boost the bromine level higher then normal while you are cleaning the tub just to kill whatever might be growing (if anything). I wouldn't drain and refill twice, once should be good enough - don't forget to run the pumps with the refill water to purge that stuff out of the lines.

skizit

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 11:37:07 am »
I'll orders some today, I want to do this drain/refill before it gets to cold. One last question,  2oz for $30 or 6 oz for $50, does it have a shelf life once opened.

thanks for the replies

Jostudly

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 06:02:19 pm »
No there is no shelf life and you would be better to get the 6oz to save money. The 2 oz will get you 3-4 drains.

Bigralphy

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 10:49:56 pm »
I just did a purge with ahhsome but had nothing but major foam.  No scum or buildup of gunk anywhere.  The tub was new in May and I did the first change in July without ahhsome.  Water has always been clear and I was expecting at least some gunk with the ahhsome but I was very disappointed.

skizit

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 07:04:11 am »
I'll be changing the water this weekend and report on my results with the Ahh Some

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 07:39:43 am »
Congrats, keeping small tubs clean and clear can be a challenge.  I did the flush and fill only twice in 10 years. I'm guessing a normal refill will be just fine to get you through to the spring thaw.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bigralphy

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 07:48:03 am »
Thanks skizit I'm looking forward to hearing your results.  I hope they are better than mine.

av8r

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 08:46:00 am »
I just did a purge with ahhsome but had nothing but major foam.  No scum or buildup of gunk anywhere.  The tub was new in May and I did the first change in July without ahhsome.  Water has always been clear and I was expecting at least some gunk with the ahhsome but I was very disappointed.

While I understand what you're saying, I'd be pleased that my tub *didn't* have all the crap in it as you never get it all out no matter what you do. 

apexmike

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 11:37:41 am »
^ Agreed, not a bad problem to have.  8)

This is a great thread, I am looking for a product to clean out my spa that sat with cracked piping for 3 yrs, now repaired and wanted to find a product to clean out any gunk/mold/bacteria hidden in the endless piping.

I just ordered it and will also post my results!

Mike

skizit

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 01:43:41 pm »
Congrats, keeping small tubs clean and clear can be a challenge.  I did the flush and fill only twice in 10 years. I'm guessing a normal refill will be just fine to get you through to the spring thaw.

It's  just my wife and I using it 10-15 minutes most days but occasionally our daughter and 2.5 year old granddaughter come over to visit and love our tub. The Ahhsome is to arrive from Amazon tomorrow. I'm taking  a sample of our filtered well water to the local spa shop for testing tomorrow and to pickup any supplies I may need to balance it. The initial sample we had tested at the place we bought the tub from came back low on PH, not surprising given it's a spring.  I'd use them but they are 2hr away.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 01:43:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42