What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Time to buy some spare filters...  (Read 6681 times)

av8r

Time to buy some spare filters...
« on: November 12, 2015, 09:50:51 pm »
So I've cleaned the filters in the new tub once....not very dirty, but I'd like to have 2 spares so I can rotate.  My current filters are 10-2870 Microban coated.  Dealer wants $65 each, but I've found this size online for as little as $65 for 2 and up to $70 each.

Is there a preferred brand or type (with Microban, without, etc) that I should look for?

Thanks

Here's a bunch sold on Amazon:

www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=10-2870+filter&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A10-2870+filter

Hot Tub Forum

Time to buy some spare filters...
« on: November 12, 2015, 09:50:51 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Time to buy some spare filters...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 07:21:38 am »
This has been my experience. Now I will use this disclaimer that my tub has been abused by lack of use and care so my experience may be extreme.

Pleatcos suck, the end caps discolor and don't really release dirt. I also went to unscrew the one that was in my tub and the handle was spongy feeling, not solid. Also, IMO core design matters. My tub's original filters were Unicel and the Pleatco core is too open and it didn't have enough back resistance for a high speed pump to suck in water properly. It may be good for a circ pump but then it didn't hold up for the reasons I stated. My tub uses 2 filters. Oh, on a side note some filters have holes on top for what I'm guessing is for letting the initial air out of the filter - either don't get them or plug them up with waterproof epoxy. They suck air and debris into them and if the water line is close enough to them you'll get the air sucking sound ... Quite annoying!!

You really don't need microban in your tub ... The filters are being sanitized while in used. If you want to super sanitize filters put 4 gallons bleach in a bucket with an ounce of bleach, put the filter in the solution for 5 minutes - few things will be around.

I am trying Filbur filters right now ( I bought 4) they just came in Wednesday ... The jury is still debating. They seem very high quality but they don't screw in as securely as the Unicel and Pleatco did. If they don't pop out then all is well, their core design is close to Unicel and the pump seems to be the same with them. Personally, I would have stayed with Unicel if I could find them, my dealer is long gone (I guess Artesian dealers can't hold up to the big boys lol) and a lot of online places are not selling genuine filters. I did find some that seemed to sell Unicel at $65 a piece but the Filburs are $30.

av8r

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 07:33:17 am »
Thanks, Vinny.  My OEM filters are Wellspring branded filters and of course I can't find them online.

It also seems that while 10-2870 is the part number, there are at least 2 variations of these filters.  Older ones have a shorter threaded nipple which won't fit the newer BF tubs.

Gibson00

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 07:59:22 am »
Hope its OK to piggyback on this thread.  New owner here.  Don't need to replace my filters yet, but dealer says every three months.

These are the filters (two at a time) that came with the tub:
https://www.arcticspastore.com/filters/save-34-automatic-quarterly-shipping-silver-sentinel-open-filter-1998-2008-arctic-spas/

Is there a better alternative, or cheaper alternative that is just as good?
And, if replacing every three months, should they still be cleaned/rinsed during the three month period??

Thanks!!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 08:03:06 am »
I am by no means a filter expert but until your filters become more popular I would say to bite the bullet and purchase a new set from the dealer. They should last about 4 years so you'll have some time.

It looks like Wellspring is a BF name for their system, I'm sure they have it made for them by another manufacturer.

Honestly, you can try an "off brand" filter and it may work great. I have had my experiences with a branded name like Pleatco and it failed miserably. Maybe you can try Filbur or Unicel support to see if they have something for the newer tubs. I'm cynical but I do believe that sometimes people change things up so that you're forced to buy from them.

BTW, it should read 4 gallons of WATER and an ounce of bleach! I sometimes hate my tablet (and lack of morning coffee!!)

av8r

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 08:13:43 am »
I am by no means a filter expert but until your filters become more popular I would say to bite the bullet and purchase a new set from the dealer. They should last about 4 years so you'll have some time.

It looks like Wellspring is a BF name for their system, I'm sure they have it made for them by another manufacturer.

Honestly, you can try an "off brand" filter and it may work great. I have had my experiences with a branded name like Pleatco and it failed miserably. Maybe you can try Filbur or Unicel support to see if they have something for the newer tubs. I'm cynical but I do believe that sometimes people change things up so that you're forced to buy from them.

BTW, it should read 4 gallons of WATER and an ounce of bleach! I sometimes hate my tablet (and lack of morning coffee!!)

I lol'd at the 4 gallons of bleach and 1 ounce of bleach part....I'm thinking...that's a pretty sensitive mixture!  :)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 08:36:20 am »
Hope its OK to piggyback on this thread.  New owner here.  Don't need to replace my filters yet, but dealer says every three months.

These are the filters (two at a time) that came with the tub:
https://www.arcticspastore.com/filters/save-34-automatic-quarterly-shipping-silver-sentinel-open-filter-1998-2008-arctic-spas/

Is there a better alternative, or cheaper alternative that is just as good?
And, if replacing every three months, should they still be cleaned/rinsed during the three month period??

Thanks!!

You shouldn't have to throw away reusable filters. The ONLY time I can see disposable filters being good is if it's the middle of winter and cleaning filters is impossible; Artesian (Unicel) played with disposable filters for a while.

If these are disposable - look into reusable - you'll go broke just supplying your tub with filters!

My statement about the Pleatco, Filbur and Unicel holds true for your case as well except it looks like you don't have screw threads or handles but the filter medium itself would hold true. I do not know anything about your filter but look here: https://www.filtersfast.com/search?w=arctic+spas&asug=&view=list. I just ordered my 4 filters from them and they arrived as Filbur not a knock off and came very quickly. Keep 2 sets and clean 1 set as the other is put into service.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 08:36:20 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42