What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Lifting a Spa with a Crane  (Read 9594 times)

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
Lifting a Spa with a Crane
« on: July 15, 2004, 12:19:21 pm »
Hi all!

I will be driving to the dealer and picking up my spa in my flatbed and then having a crane lift over my house to my backyard.

Anything I should know when lifting via a crane?  Can anyone who has used a crane shed some light on what they have learned?  Things to look out for?  Proper way to lift? etc etc

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Lifting a Spa with a Crane
« on: July 15, 2004, 12:19:21 pm »

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
Re: Lifting a Spa with a Crane
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 12:30:28 pm »
Hi all!

Anything I should know when lifting via a crane?  Can anyone who has used a crane shed some light on what they have learned?  Things to look out for?  Proper way to lift? etc etc

Thanks

Dazed does this mean you are actually going to buy a spa?

Rule one - don't drop it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 12:32:58 pm by ZzTop »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 12:35:30 pm »
Hi Dazed!

My crane delivery couldn't have gone any better.  Be sure someone is where they can tell the crane operator how close to the target he is (my guy was on my roof).  Be sure to have the guys take the spa off of the pallet and have the crane remove the pallet, otherwise they will have to break it down (or they did in my case, didn't think about the pallet).  It wasn't that big of a deal to break the pallet down, but it would have been easier if the crane had just lifted it back over the house.

Otherwise, I would recommend a crane delivery any day!  Be sure and take pictures, it is really an awesome sight for a tub to be suspended over your house.

Oh yeah, I scheduled my delivery fairly early in the morning, so as not to be too much of a spectacle for the neighbors.  I did draw a crowd, though.  We were all quite impressed.  And remember to breathe through the whole process, found my husband holding his breath because he was just sure they were going to drop it on the house!!!

Good luck!  Please let us know how it goes!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 12:35:52 pm »
Definitely don't drop.

My dealer does all spa deliveries by crane.  They use two slings, a big crane and lift from the front to wherever.  Go to www.nespas.com for a couple of delivery pictures.  A crane operator and a helper with two way radios place it on the money.  Nice way to go.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 12:45:24 pm »
Hi Dazed!

Be sure and take pictures, it is really an awesome sight for a tub to be suspended over your house.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  The pictures will be fond memory, but if you can see the pictures of how it went for other people, it might help you put yourself at ease.  At least until lift off time.

You didn't mention, how experienced is the crane operator?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 12:46:37 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 01:16:24 pm »
We have done it many times - haven't dropped one yet!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 01:16:41 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 06:42:00 pm »
Listen for very loud bells. This is the sound most cranes make when the alarm goes off telling them they have over extended and about to tip over. If you hear this sound......... RUN!!!!!!!! AWAY form the crane, and spa  ;D ;D

Now before you think I'm just kidding around (which in fact I am), I have a video of just such a delivery...... anyone out there able to convert video to a mpg or avi format?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

OnMedic

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 09:51:23 pm »
Doc, I would love to see it!

I think that a multi thousand dollar purchase is worth the extra couple of hundred for proper delivery and set-up. Just my opinion.

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 10:09:45 pm »
Hope he gets a spa,you can only shop so much.JohnnyT

saz

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 08:36:20 am »
would just like to say thanx to dazed for starting this topic. We're havign ours craned in too, and I was imagining the same things....crane dropping tub on house etc! But this has put my mind at rest!
saz

OnMedic

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 08:42:35 am »
Pay the money for the Pro's to deliver and install. It is all their responsibility then until is sits where you want it! No sleepless nights leading up to the delivery!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 11:42:11 am »
...anyone out there able to convert video to a mpg or avi format?

Send me the tape - I have a friend who works at the local Community-Access Cable Studio, and he can dub it onto a DV tape (may be a little loss of quality, but the studio's equipment is high-end, so it should be minimal) and then I'll blow it into my computer using my studio software and burn it onto a disc.

I could cut it down to a short clip that could be posted.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

sobe

• Sundance optima owner
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 05:32:49 pm »
Can you imagine how many posts there will be from dazedandcofused after he gets the tub!!!!!! If he has 98 so far just contemplating the thought of buying one.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 05:32:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42