What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electric cover lifter??? IS there such a beast?  (Read 7657 times)

sue_in_texas

Electric cover lifter??? IS there such a beast?
« on: November 04, 2015, 02:08:32 pm »
I'm trying to find an electric cover lifter.  An internet search didn't produce much.  Does anyone know of one, other than the Covana?

Hot Tub Forum

Electric cover lifter??? IS there such a beast?
« on: November 04, 2015, 02:08:32 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Electric cover lifter??? IS there such a beast?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 02:52:28 pm »
Auto Spa Cover
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 03:44:01 pm »
before I left Hot Spring's I had seen pictures of one they had in development, not sure if it made it into production because I don't see a mention of it on their website, I didn't pay much attention because the retail numbers I was hearing were absolutely crazy for a cover lifter but maybe a current Hot Springs dealer can comment on it.

sue_in_texas

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 03:44:42 pm »
Auto Spa Cover

Do you have experience with this?  Their website is very scanty.

jbequer

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 04:48:02 pm »
If you have a problem with having to lift a spa cover off , get a Cover Crafle 2. It's very easy to get off the spa, less expensive and no motor that will give you problems down the road.
I don't like how high up that electrical cover  has to go to remove cover. On a windy day it's going to cause you problems.

d00nut

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 05:54:43 pm »
before I left Hot Spring's I had seen pictures of one they had in development, not sure if it made it into production because I don't see a mention of it on their website, I didn't pay much attention because the retail numbers I was hearing were absolutely crazy for a cover lifter but maybe a current Hot Springs dealer can comment on it.

Mums the word.  Haven't heard of it coming to the states yet.  I think some dealers overseas sell it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mOoRcgSMZo

It's big money though.  From what I understand, it would be an absolute bear to install (6 hours for a pro to do it the first time)

I think Sue has a Bullfrog, so the Cover Cradle wouldn't work unless she installs metal plates in the cover, which is a pain.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 06:09:04 pm »
I had an idea of building one into a small wood gazebo with a garage door opener driving a cable/pulley system? Custom cover from RH Tubs with four hoist points on top of the corners. Still have to guide it up and out of the way and down with one hand and push the controller with the other. Unless you can figure out how to set the cycles correctly. Then just guide it after you push the button. Could bet substantially cheaper than the currently available powered lifters.
Retired

Robrob

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 01:10:44 am »
They had an electric cover thing at the great escape in Illinois where I bought my tub. It was about the price of the tub (lol!)

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 01:25:38 pm »
I had an idea of building one into a small wood gazebo with a garage door opener driving a cable/pulley system? Custom cover from RH Tubs with four hoist points on top of the corners. Still have to guide it up and out of the way and down with one hand and push the controller with the other. Unless you can figure out how to set the cycles correctly. Then just guide it after you push the button. Could bet substantially cheaper than the currently available powered lifters.

I've thought of this before, basically something similar to a Covana except it uses pulleys/tension which allows someone to easily "hand crank" it up...less issues/cost that way and basically you'd have a "walk on" style cover attached to 4 posts and crank it up and down....I wish I had a good friend who was an engineer  8)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 07:15:58 pm »

I've thought of this before, basically something similar to a Covana except it uses pulleys/tension which allows someone to easily "hand crank" it up...less issues/cost that way and basically you'd have a "walk on" style cover attached to 4 posts and crank it up and down....I wish I had a good friend who was an engineer  8)

I love trains..........
Retired

sksmoker

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 12:31:32 am »
If you find something please let me know. That Covana cost us a fortune!!  :-X

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 04:55:47 pm »
I have to ask ... why do you need a electric cover lifter? Other than having a disability where you can't lift a cover but then I would think you shouldn't be in a tub by yourself.

My cover is less around a year old, is a 6" to 4" thick cover and I am using a 10 YO gas strut assist cover lifter; my last cover was way past it's good days when it got replaced. It can be a little difficult because the struts aren't what they used to be but it is manageable and I would venture to say that a new lifter (or new struts) would bring that cover up without a problem or having a second person on the other side is another solution.

IMO, it's just something else to go wrong when you don't need anything to go wrong.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 05:05:51 pm »
I have to ask ... why do you need a electric cover lifter? Other than having a disability where you can't lift a cover but then I would think you shouldn't be in a tub by yourself.

My cover is less around a year old, is a 6" to 4" thick cover and I am using a 10 YO gas strut assist cover lifter; my last cover was way past it's good days when it got replaced. It can be a little difficult because the struts aren't what they used to be but it is manageable and I would venture to say that a new lifter (or new struts) would bring that cover up without a problem or having a second person on the other side is another solution.

IMO, it's just something else to go wrong when you don't need anything to go wrong.

The main reason is for people who may be older and/or have a disability that makes it tough for them to open the spa cover on their own, its actually a very common concern I hear on the sales floor all the time so I know there is a market for them it's just there doesn't seem to be a cost effective option on the market at the moment (understandably, there is a lot of engineering and moving parts that have to go into building one)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 07:01:03 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 07:01:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42