What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Temperature loss over a week (UK)  (Read 2671 times)

MrLobster

Temperature loss over a week (UK)
« on: October 22, 2015, 10:23:08 am »
We had some power issues last week - the line out to the garage that also powers our tub was tripping the RCD, so the tub was without power for six days before we had it fixed.  Total temperature loss was 15c (27f), which seems a little high for a modern tub.

Over the week I only lifted the cover twice, for under a minute each time, so shouldn't have made much difference.

The weather here hasn't been great - ranging from 4 to 14c (40 to 58f) while the heater wasn't running, but the loss is more than I expected.

My cover has clips on the corners which I generally don't fasten.  Would it make much difference if I did use them?

Cheers,
Mr Lobster

Hot Tub Forum

Temperature loss over a week (UK)
« on: October 22, 2015, 10:23:08 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Temperature loss over a week (UK)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 04:32:10 pm »
We had some power issues last week - the line out to the garage that also powers our tub was tripping the RCD, so the tub was without power for six days before we had it fixed.  Total temperature loss was 15c (27f), which seems a little high for a modern tub.

Over the week I only lifted the cover twice, for under a minute each time, so shouldn't have made much difference.

The weather here hasn't been great - ranging from 4 to 14c (40 to 58f) while the heater wasn't running, but the loss is more than I expected.

My cover has clips on the corners which I generally don't fasten.  Would it make much difference if I did use them?

Cheers,
Mr Lobster

The clips won't make much of a difference but the brand of tub will.
Retired

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 07:21:23 pm »
Here's a thread from many years ago from something I did: http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6728.0.html

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 08:37:04 pm »
Here's a thread from many years ago from something I did: http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6728.0.html

Good thread Vinny 10 years ago. Almost the same as more recent BF threads. Remember Tom? I stayed in touch with him and Arctic for a long time.
Retired

MrLobster

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 05:58:16 am »
Thanks Vinny and Tman. I see you were both in that other thread too.

My tub is an Artesian, so I'd hope it would hold the heat well.  After some more research it looks like a 4f/2c loss per day isn't actually too bad, the original article I'd read suggested 2f/1c was usual for a well insulated tub in winter.

Once I worked out the cost of re heating the tub I stopped worrying about it. I lose far more having an hour in there late at night several times a week.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 05:58:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42