What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First fill using hard well water...what to add?  (Read 3030 times)

av8r

First fill using hard well water...what to add?
« on: October 20, 2015, 09:41:04 pm »
We have pretty hard water here.  I can fill the tub from the supply that's softened, but we also have iron bacteria (which I treat with chlorine injection and a wet contact holding tank) so should I consider using something like Metal Out when filling the tub for the first time?

We don't get much rust discoloration anywhere but the toilet tanks, but do get some scale on shower heads, etc.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

First fill using hard well water...what to add?
« on: October 20, 2015, 09:41:04 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: First fill using hard well water...what to add?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 07:05:41 pm »
We have pretty hard water here.  I can fill the tub from the supply that's softened, but we also have iron bacteria (which I treat with chlorine injection and a wet contact holding tank) so should I consider using something like Metal Out when filling the tub for the first time?

We don't get much rust discoloration anywhere but the toilet tanks, but do get some scale on shower heads, etc.

Thanks

A sequestering agent like metal will help. It's a pain, you have to clean the gunk out of your filter a few times. Or maybe a hose filter like the http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Fresh-Garden-Filter-purpose/dp/B00AXP8B9O or others out there. I would mix both hard and soft water 50-50 See what your readings are when it's up to temp.
Retired

av8r

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 07:34:41 pm »

Thanks

A sequestering agent like metal will help. It's a pain, you have to clean the gunk out of your filter a few times. Or maybe a hose filter like the http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Fresh-Garden-Filter-purpose/dp/B00AXP8B9O or others out there. I would mix both hard and soft water 50-50 See what your readings are when it's up to temp.

Thanks.  I'll test the water prior to filling also.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 07:34:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42