What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: draining new tub  (Read 4690 times)

Jostudly

draining new tub
« on: October 12, 2015, 07:03:16 pm »
I bought my hot tub at the beginning of Sept and have been testing the water at the dealer weekly and adding chemicals and bromine every week. Just wondering if there will be a point where I do not have to add every week other then bromine and if I should drain the tub before the winter and refill? Also there are vents on the side of the tub to let excess heat out and to close when it is cold to keep heat in. When is the best temp or time to close of the air vents?

Hot Tub Forum

draining new tub
« on: October 12, 2015, 07:03:16 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: draining new tub
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 07:13:47 pm »
I bought my hot tub at the beginning of Sept and have been testing the water at the dealer weekly and adding chemicals and bromine every week. Just wondering if there will be a point where I do not have to add every week other then bromine and if I should drain the tub before the winter and refill? Also there are vents on the side of the tub to let excess heat out and to close when it is cold to keep heat in. When is the best temp or time to close of the air vents?

Yes you will get to know your water and learn how often it needs to be checked and how often to adjust your water or add sanitizer. It takes a bit of time to get in the groove. In the mean time the soaking is awesome.

As far as your drain and vents, where do you live?
Retired

Quickbeam

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 08:21:52 pm »
Typically people will drain and refill their tubs every three to four months. If you can time it so you are not doing this in the middle of winter that is always best.

Jostudly

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 08:16:12 am »
I also am thinking about draining my tub since I am getting a lot of foam when the air is turned on. I saw at my dealer you can buy a defoamer but was told it does not last too long. Also I bought a deep clean solution to clean my filter however I still needed to clean between each pleat before and after so I told this to the manufacturer and they said not to waste my money as it wears down the fibres on the filter. Seems to me that there are a lot of products out there that the dealers will sell you that are a waste of time.

av8r

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 09:28:20 am »
I also am thinking about draining my tub since I am getting a lot of foam when the air is turned on. I saw at my dealer you can buy a defoamer but was told it does not last too long. Also I bought a deep clean solution to clean my filter however I still needed to clean between each pleat before and after so I told this to the manufacturer and they said not to waste my money as it wears down the fibres on the filter. Seems to me that there are a lot of products out there that the dealers will sell you that are a waste of time.

See:

P.T. Barnum

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 12:45:56 pm »

I'll go out on a limb and guess he simply told you to throw away your filter and just buy another one? gee I wonder why he would say that lol...filter clean works just fine

Sam

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 05:48:29 pm »
Yeah, I'm calling BS on the filter cleaner.  It absolutely does work and is cheaper than replacing the filter.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 06:58:08 pm »
But you can only clean a filter so many times and they do loose some filtering ability and start to restrict flow. The best way is to have 2-3/sets of filters and rotate so they get a good soaking in cleaner.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 07:52:22 am »
Typically people will drain and refill their tubs every three to four months. If you can time it so you are not doing this in the middle of winter that is always best.

Agreed, I stretched my last change till last week which coincided with our first frost.  My water should be good through January. Typically in Ohio we might get a warm spell in late Jan  to mid Feb where I can bring my short hose out and refill.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

amy2421

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 09:05:43 am »
But you can only clean a filter so many times and they do loose some filtering ability and start to restrict flow. The best way is to have 2-3/sets of filters and rotate so they get a good soaking in cleaner.

How often is it recommended to soak the filters in the cleaner? We've had our tub filled for 2 1/2 weeks and haven't cleaned any filters yet.

Quickbeam

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 11:51:27 am »

How often is it recommended to soak the filters in the cleaner? We've had our tub filled for 2 1/2 weeks and haven't cleaned any filters yet.

We have two sets of filters for our tub. If we're using the tub quite a bit, I'll hose the filters down once per week, and then swap them out when I'm doing a water change (usually every three months). My practice has now become that when I do a water change I'll give the tub a cleaning with Ahh-Some, and just throw the filters in the tub with the Ahh-Some. It does a great job cleaning the filters.

So to summarize, I would say you are fine if you hose your filters off once per week, and then about every three months give them a good cleaning with whatever product you choose to use.

Jostudly

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 01:07:05 pm »
Well the deep clean solution that I used did not remove dirt from inside the pleats after 12 hrs of being submerged. So I find it useless if I still need to clean it by hand.

av8r

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 01:44:52 pm »
Maybe post the name of the product you used.

Quickbeam

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 02:05:18 pm »
I know you weren't directing your question at me, but still thought I'd let people know that before I was cleaning my filters in Ahh-Some I used Eco-Soak from Spa Depot, and it worked pretty good. You can find it here: http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Eco-Soak-Filter-Cleaner-32-oz-P778C57.aspx

Lots of other people use a solution of TSP and water.

Jostudly

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 10:30:54 am »
Its called Mineraluxe Filter revive got it from the dealer and a bottle will do 3 cleanings. I put 200ml in enough hot water for the filter to be submerged in the sink.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 10:30:54 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42