What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Pad age old question...Pavers or Concrete Slab?  (Read 3788 times)

ski bum

Hot Tub Pad age old question...Pavers or Concrete Slab?
« on: October 08, 2015, 02:59:17 pm »
I'm debating which way to go. 

Benefits to Pavers:
-Less expensive as I can do it myself in a day or so.
-Less permanent...if we move and want to take out the pad, or move it to another location in the yard.
-Looks better, even though it will only be as big as the footprint of the tub.

Benefits to Concrete:
-More stable, less likely to settle over time.
-Less work, as I would dig the hole and have the concrete guy do the rest.

I've got quotes for the work, with me digging the hole to size, for $980 for a 8'x10' pad.  On the other hand, I've priced out the materials from Home Depot for around $405 (for base, sand, pavers, and edging).  We are getting a Hot Springs Flair (which is 7'x7') and does not require a concrete slab, but is recommended by Hot Springs.  Do these prices for install seem typical?

Am I missing any major benefits or concerns with either option?  What would you do? 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:18:55 pm by ski bum »

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Pad age old question...Pavers or Concrete Slab?
« on: October 08, 2015, 02:59:17 pm »

CheetoGuido

Re: Hot Tub Pad age old question...Pavers or Concrete Slab?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:06:32 pm »
Hello Ski Bum,  we actually just went through this ourselves and we decided with the concrete.  We figured that for a couple hundred dollars more we wouldn't have to worry about any issues with settling and it was a lot less work on our part and we could concentrate on running the conduit and other landscape drainage needs we have.  I too prefer the look of pavers but I am going to do a concrete stain after 28 days and hope it gives me a more finished look.  We did a larger patio for a table and chairs, so the total price of materials and delivery was getting high.

dougga

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:33:48 pm »
I just finished a paver-install.  It was a fair amount of work.  The pad is larger than the tub so I have a little patio on one side of the tub which I enjoy.  The level of work required to get the pieces in is quite significant, but the expense of removing or moving it is trivial.  I think I would go concrete if I were to do it again, but even writing this, I'm not certain.  One thing that can be said for pavers, is there are a load of options and styles.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 05:27:01 pm »
What about stamped concrete. Tons of options there to include a paver look.
Retired

ski bum

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 06:30:23 pm »
What are people paying for concrete work?  Price per sq. ft? 

My quote for an 8'x8' pad of $980 did not include digging the hole on a very flat backyard spot.  Comes out to $15/sq. ft!

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 06:45:35 pm »
What are people paying for concrete work?  Price per sq. ft? 

My quote for an 8'x8' pad of $980 did not include digging the hole on a very flat backyard spot.  Comes out to $15/sq. ft!

Paying that much because there is no money in a job that small

JustAnotherNewbie

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 07:55:24 pm »
We are renovating our backyard and was originaly going to put in a pad then install paver around  and thought the yard. Concrete was about $10  a sq. ft. Pavers about $13. The wife made the executive decision to go all pavers for the extra $300. Which of course I agree, because I have been properly trained 

ski bum

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 12:14:31 pm »
For those of you doing pavers, what are you doing for base and leveling sand thickness?  Reading up online, it sounds like 3-4" of the crushed base stone material, and 1-1.5" of leveling sand under the pavers. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 12:14:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42