What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coast Lanai Pump Issue 6 Man Hot Tub  (Read 3359 times)

Drummerguy

Coast Lanai Pump Issue 6 Man Hot Tub
« on: October 06, 2015, 11:51:54 pm »
 ::)Yeah so i bought a used hot tub - saw it work in person - runs for 10 minutes and then i get the FLO error message - pump #1 is hot to the touch - pump#2 is nice and cool - runs for 10 minutes and then goes into safe mode ?

Is it time for a new pump ? If it is the pump how will i know for sure - also where to get a good one ?

And last but not least - can i use a different kind of pump as longas the inlet and outlet and horsepower are the same ?

Thx in advance
Please help--any and all suggestions are welcome

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:01:41 am by Drummerguy »

Hot Tub Forum

Coast Lanai Pump Issue 6 Man Hot Tub
« on: October 06, 2015, 11:51:54 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: COAST LANAI PUMP OVER HEAT ISSUE
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:05:04 am »
Or it's just the luck of the draw.   I take it pump one is running through the heater, IE: no circ pump?  Try running it with out the filter see if that make a difference, probably wont.  Might be a bad pressure switch?   Tough thing is it's a coast spa, they use/used special wet ends on their pumps usually red, big metal things with 3" fittings.  If this is what you have they are spendy.  But I believe you can change to a normal type pump with smaller HP and smaller fittings?  Tman any thoughts?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Coast Lanai Pump Issue 6 Man Hot Tub
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 02:49:16 am »
Pump motors normally run very hot to the touch (regardless, what you're describing doesn't sound like a pump issue).

Couldn't one just replace the motor, using the old wet end?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Drummerguy

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 07:23:13 am »
Hi Jacuzzi Jim - pump 1 is correct,it circulates the water as this is a older model - as far as having a red end on it, it does not...I can take a picture if you need me to. I did run it last night when this happened with no filter as i just set it up and i did purge the system by loosening up the ends on both pumps for about 5 seconds each before turning pumps on to allow for any air to escape the system and then re tightened before running pumps. Getting excellent pressure, motor seems to run pretty quiet as well.

Is there a test for the pressure switch i can do to trouble shoot - i am mechanically inclined as well as electronic savvy.

Drummer Guy

Drummerguy

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 08:00:03 am »
UPDATE UPDATE---- I also find out that if it was a bad pressure switch it would say "FLC" and it does not say that.

I got up at 7:45 this morning to check hot tub - pump is still circulating water like it should be all night - i set temp to stop at 100 degrees

The screen is not flashing this message but it says " HL " and in my booklet that came with tub says that this means that the temp has reached 119 in summer or 112 degrees in winter and not to enter water and pull back cover before entering.

I used a electronic thermometer and checked water and i am at 100.7 degrees...

Is this part of a bad switch etc ??
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:30:31 am by Drummerguy »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 10:45:03 am »
 If it's heating I would say no.   Guessing bad temp sensor.  Your system might have a split high limit/temp sensor assembly, is it  Balboa equipment?

Drummerguy

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 02:02:04 pm »
Hi Jim - what i can tell you that it is a Coast Lanai tub - i am not sure on the pump brand -- i am trying to figure out how to post pics on here--pump 1 runs and circulates all the time as it is a older tub as we know the newer tubs have a smaller circulation pump now. So it is holding heat at 102 degrees steadily all day - pump has been circulating on regular schedule.

I reset quick disconnect breaker at side of house - currently no codes as of yet - i am going to try running pumps at same time and report back here in 1 hour...

OK im back - less time than what i thought - i ran the #1 pump which is half of the tub only thinking that may have something to do with it and that it did not....

Ran a little longer this time around 12-15 minutes and then i get the "FLO" light messge on board and then the tub shuts off and quits running...grrrrr
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:51:01 pm by Drummerguy »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 03:03:38 pm »
  Did the pump shut off?  Another thing to try see if the pump runs again after it cools down, each motor has a internal limit switch that will shut the motor down if it gets to hot.   Sounds more like a faulty sensor on the spa.

Drummerguy

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 07:29:11 pm »
Once the tub cools down it heats just fine..

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 07:50:12 pm »
 Not the spa the pump motor?

Drummerguy

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 07:42:04 am »
Hi Jim - yes thats correct-the motor cools down

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 09:03:26 am »
   Sounds like you are having some kind of over heat issue with the motor.   As for a fix on that other than replacing, no idea  :'(

Drummerguy

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 08:33:02 pm »
Yep i rebuilt it today and i am in business now---:)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 09:38:15 pm »
Your welcome.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 09:38:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42