What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Double checking -- ozone and circ pump  (Read 6670 times)

wt21

Double checking -- ozone and circ pump
« on: September 24, 2015, 10:57:09 am »
I think I'm leaning to a tub without circ pump and possibly without ozone.

Besides the "in my day, we didn't have those fancy do-dads, and we liked it!" types of comments, what really does ozone and circ pump provide wrt maintaining the water (I understand the arguments for circ pumps around maintenance, quiet, etc.).

If I have ozone and circ pump, (assuming the same bathing hours), do I need to change my water less with O2 and circ? Do I use less chlorine? Because of that, is there less chlorine smell? Do I check the water less frequently? Is the water clearer? Less colored?

Hot Tub Forum

Double checking -- ozone and circ pump
« on: September 24, 2015, 10:57:09 am »

lehacf

Re: Double checking -- ozone and circ pump
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 01:05:25 pm »
I agree on the circulation pump. From what I have heard they are much smaller than regular pumps and run pretty much 24/7/365 and are most likely to fail. For that reason I really like Marquis design which uses regular pumps to circulate water. I don't agree with not using ozone. It works exceptionally well in combination with bromine. You can read more about this at http://www.hottubworks.com/blog/bromine-vs-chlorine-for-spas-hot-tubs/

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 01:22:27 pm »

You can read more about this at http://www.hottubworks.com/blog/bromine-vs-chlorine-for-spas-hot-tubs/

Keep in mind this is in no way unbiased information (and actually...nor is their information completely correct). This site sells bromine, which is more expensive, thereby deriving them more profits.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wt21

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 01:43:24 pm »
Assuming I chose to use Chlorine,

If I have ozone (but not a circ pump), (assuming the same bathing hours), do I need to change my water less with O2? Do I use less chlorine? Because of that, is there less chlorine smell? Do I check the water less frequently? Is the water clearer? Less colored?

lehacf

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 02:33:09 pm »

You can read more about this at http://www.hottubworks.com/blog/bromine-vs-chlorine-for-spas-hot-tubs/

Keep in mind this is in no way unbiased information (and actually...nor is their information completely correct). This site sells bromine, which is more expensive, thereby deriving them more profits.

On the grand schema of things when someone spends several thousand on a tub, does the delta between price of chlorine and bromine really makes that big of a difference. And while HotTubWorks.com can try to sell Bromine it certainly does not mean that folks would buy it from them unless final price is lower.

But, you have mentioned that some information mentioned there is not correct. What specifically are you referring to?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 02:51:46 pm »

On the grand schema of things when someone spends several thousand on a tub, does the delta between price of chlorine and bromine really makes that big of a difference. And while HotTubWorks.com can try to sell Bromine it certainly does not mean that folks would buy it from them unless final price is lower.

But, you have mentioned that some information mentioned there is not correct. What specifically are you referring to?

I stopped reading after "Round 1".  You shouldn't use trichlor tabs in any hot tub unless you want your pumps and heaters to die very prematurely. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 02:54:51 pm »
I think I'm leaning to a tub without circ pump and possibly without ozone.

Besides the "in my day, we didn't have those fancy do-dads, and we liked it!" types of comments, what really does ozone and circ pump provide wrt maintaining the water (I understand the arguments for circ pumps around maintenance, quiet, etc.).

If I have ozone and circ pump, (assuming the same bathing hours), do I need to change my water less with O2 and circ? Do I use less chlorine? Because of that, is there less chlorine smell? Do I check the water less frequently? Is the water clearer? Less colored?

No you don't have to change your water more frequently.  You would still use  the same amount of chlorine with or without circ pump, maybe a bit less with ozone.  Still test water regularly either way, water quality should be unaffected assuming you keep up with your chems

Quickbeam

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 02:56:19 pm »
I agree on the circulation pump. From what I have heard they are much smaller than regular pumps and run pretty much 24/7/365 and are most likely to fail. For that reason I really like Marquis design which uses regular pumps to circulate water. I don't agree with not using ozone. It works exceptionally well in combination with bromine. You can read more about this at http://www.hottubworks.com/blog/bromine-vs-chlorine-for-spas-hot-tubs/

There has been ongoing discussion about whether it’s better to have a circ. pump or not. It’s been argued back and forth and as others have said in other threads, I wouldn’t let that one item determine whether or not I was to buy a hot tub. But I really don’t want to get into that discussion.

I do however want to clear up this misconception that if you have a circ. pump it needs to run “24/7/365”. That’s just not the case. We have the Jacuzzi J-345, which has a circ. pump. We have ours set so it runs 8 hours a day, which is the factory default setting, and it filters just fine.

lehacf

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 03:46:19 pm »
How old is the tub and how many times have you had your pump replaced?

Quickbeam

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 03:48:53 pm »

The pumps never been replaced, nor have we had any problems with it, but our tub is still fairly new. We bought our tub in the spring of 2014.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 06:11:36 pm »

On the grand schema of things when someone spends several thousand on a tub, does the delta between price of chlorine and bromine really makes that big of a difference.

If you actually spend some time reading these message boards... YES, it does seem to be a BIG concern with many many people.

+1 Hottubguy
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 06:48:35 pm »
Even if the pro's and con's aren't equal it should be lower on your priority list than comfort in the tub/dealer, build quality, reputation of the dealer manufacturer.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 07:10:00 pm »

The pumps never been replaced, nor have we had any problems with it, but our tub is still fairly new. We bought our tub in the spring of 2014.

Since Jacuzzi and Sundance switched to the higher flow circ pumps from the Lang's they used for years, the failure rate has dropped dramatically.   They should have done it 11 years ago, least that's about how long I was screaming at them to do it. 

Quickbeam

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 11:15:27 pm »

Since Jacuzzi and Sundance switched to the higher flow circ pumps from the Lang's they used for years, the failure rate has dropped dramatically.   They should have done it 11 years ago, least that's about how long I was screaming at them to do it.

Jim, do you know when they switched to the new circ. pumps? Our tub was purchased in the spring of 2014. Do you know if it would have the new circ. pump in it?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 11:47:29 pm »
 Yes it would.  Do you have the push btn to open the cabinet? 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 11:47:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42