What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pump pressure drop  (Read 6076 times)

lehacf

Pump pressure drop
« on: September 23, 2015, 07:52:22 pm »
Hi,

On my Marquis Euphoria that has two identical pumps, pump #1 started pumping about 20% less than the other pump. For testing I have turned identical "Hot Zone" jets which are available over both pumps and turned off all other auxiliary features. Tub is brand new and is about 3 weeks old. It has been drained once. I have checked and ran tub with and without filters and with and without heater, outcome is the same with pump #1 being weaker. Has anyone experienced anything like this and what are the possible causes? Thank you.

Hot Tub Forum

Pump pressure drop
« on: September 23, 2015, 07:52:22 pm »

av8r

Re: Pump pressure drop
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 08:04:43 pm »
Hi,

On my Marquis Euphoria that has two identical pumps, pump #1 started pumping about 20% less than the other pump. For testing I have turned identical "Hot Zone" jets which are available over both pumps and turned off all other auxiliary features. Tub is brand new and is about 3 weeks old. It has been drained once. I have checked and ran tub with and without filters and with and without heater, outcome is the same with pump #1 being weaker. Has anyone experienced anything like this and what are the possible causes? Thank you.

No idea, but if it were me I'd have called the dealer the day it started.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 08:30:44 pm »
Hi,

Did you notice this from when you first got the tub or only after draining and refilling?  If you turn air off to all hot zone jets is the pressure the same?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 09:20:02 pm »
Air in a pump?
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 10:53:06 pm »
Partial clog in the impeller?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

MarKee

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:06:55 am »
How did you try it with and without the heater?

Sometimes pump 1 will have slightly less power because waterfall features run off that pump, but it shouldn't be 20% less.

Are you sure you have the air controls turned on and all of the jets turned wide open?

lehacf

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 07:09:58 am »
If I turn air on to both "Hot Zone" jets the problem becomes less visible (around 10%) difference but still visible. If the air is off then it is more clear that the problem is there. To try it without the heater (just to avoid any weird computer modes) I just lowered the temperature.

Main question for me is, Marquis uses Balboa controller. Interface is pretty restricted and does not tell you much. Is there any diagnostic (technician only) screen that can be accessed to check on status of all major components:
- actual voltage to each pump
- reading from water pressure sensors
- maybe something else

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 09:56:35 am »
 3 week old spa = call your dealer.

av8r

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 03:52:09 pm »
If I turn air on to both "Hot Zone" jets the problem becomes less visible (around 10%) difference but still visible. If the air is off then it is more clear that the problem is there. To try it without the heater (just to avoid any weird computer modes) I just lowered the temperature.

Main question for me is, Marquis uses Balboa controller. Interface is pretty restricted and does not tell you much. Is there any diagnostic (technician only) screen that can be accessed to check on status of all major components:
- actual voltage to each pump
- reading from water pressure sensors
- maybe something else

I think you're expecting far too much from a simple controller.  If you want that data you could build something Arduino based very inexpensively.

lehacf

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 04:04:15 pm »
I am not sure that Balboa board can be described as simple controller, it is quite complex and it seems that it has software instead of just control switches. From that type of board I would naturally expect some advanced diagnostic sections where different readings can be taken so that technicians won't have to open-up skirt to and crawl around with voltmeter.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 05:09:14 pm »
No, we still open up the skirt to take out the bleeder plug on the pump.
Retired

lehacf

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 09:06:39 pm »
Is there a scientific way to measure pressure in different jets in a hot tub? Can anyone recommend any water pressure gauges that would work the best for this application?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 09:18:39 pm »
 May sound insensitive, but why don't you just enjoy your spa and quit worrying about a gauge to check jet pressure.  Or call your dealer and have them take a look.    Guessing your wife may be saying the same?

lehacf

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 06:37:00 am »
I am engineer by trade so this is all part of the process  :)

av8r

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 08:29:35 am »
May sound insensitive, but why don't you just enjoy your spa and quit worrying about a gauge to check jet pressure.  Or call your dealer and have them take a look.    Guessing your wife may be saying the same?

Amen....his posts are all similar.  Maybe find a fun hobby?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 08:29:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42