What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Double checking operating costs  (Read 2296 times)

wt21

Double checking operating costs
« on: September 06, 2015, 08:36:46 am »
<edit -- added in some pricing, for anyone who might read this in the future>

We are planning on putting a deposit on our first hot tub today

Just want to make sure I have clear the ongoing costs. My salesman just kept saying "it's not that much"

My research shows electric costs likely in the $35-50 per month range (we are near Boston, MA), just based on the spread I see on this board (we are planning on a circ pump) = $360-600 per year

Drain and refill 4x per year. 400 gallons /7.48 = 53.47 cu ft times our water rate of $6.10=$320 per refill or $1200 per year. edit>>THIS IS THE WRONG CALC. Seems our town rates might be $6.10 per 1,000 gal, so a fill up would only cost $2.44, $7.32 per year, if we are only doing a drain and clean 3X per year. Which amounts, of course, to nothing. The nice thing is up here in Boston, we have 2X for sewer, but I have an irrigation meter for the sprinkler system I can use, which bypasses the sewer charge :)

Topping off as needed - don't know yet, edit>>but given the (newly found) cheap water cost, this will be nothing.

Chemicals - I don't know yet. I'll ask today, but any advice is appreciated. edit>>I was told $50 for a supply that would last 3 months?

Ozone filter materials - ??? edit>> There is some kind of optional CD Ozone cartridge? I think they said it was $69, a few times a year.

Filter replacement - hope to learn that today too. edit>> Dealer said once a year at $99

Are there regular maintenance calls I should budget for that would be out of warranty? edit>> No, and the Sundance I got has a 5 year warranty!!

Anything else?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 03:16:45 pm by wt21 »

Hot Tub Forum

Double checking operating costs
« on: September 06, 2015, 08:36:46 am »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Double checking operating costs
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 10:44:04 am »
Pretty sure that water cost is way off. I'm in mass and my water bill for the year is less then that for my whole house. If your water is that expensive it would be cheaper to refill the thing with bottled water!

wt21

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 11:17:58 am »
Thanks. That's a big help. I found my towns rate but didn't know if it was per cubic foot or per 1000 gallons. Maybe it's the latter

Any thoughts on the other items?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 11:44:48 am »
There are no ozone filter materials.

Water should actually be a savings.  Typically hot tubers take less, shorter showers.  And the used water can be used on plants.  Plus you should only have to drain 3 times a year.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 11:44:48 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42