What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Care for a spa that is not being used  (Read 3259 times)

sepandee

Care for a spa that is not being used
« on: August 14, 2015, 10:30:57 am »
Hi everyone, I live in Toronto, Canada (hot summers, freaking cold winters). I have a hot tub that's not being used by my tenant. As such, he also doesn't want to pay for the electricity. I've heard that I can't leave the hot tub empty, but if I keep it full and not use the pumps, then the water doesn't get circulated. My original idea was to buy a small external pump that I place inside the hot tub so that the water is moving. But the tiny pump is always breaking, and it barely moves any water.

So I'm wondering how you guys deal with a spa that you might not use for a year or so.

Thanks
Sepand

Hot Tub Forum

Care for a spa that is not being used
« on: August 14, 2015, 10:30:57 am »

Sam

Re: Care for a spa that is not being used
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 01:42:23 pm »
You can and probably should just leave it empty.  You will simply need to follow winterization procedure.  You can google search how to do it, but basically you need to make sure that you evacuate all of the water still in the plumbing and remove the drain plugs on your pumps.

sepandee

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 02:00:45 pm »
THe other problem with leaving it empty is that with all the rain coming in, it collects water and ends up being mucky anyways.

In fact, the mucky spa i have right now was emptied in May, and is now full.

I have a cover, but it's just a soft cover. Won't keep the rain from coming in.

Quickbeam

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 07:40:52 pm »
Couldn't you put a tarp over the cover?

sepandee

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 10:54:31 pm »
Couldn't you put a tarp over the cover?

Yes, I can. I was thinking about that earlier. If leaving the tub empty is in fact not bad for the tub (for some reason someone told me I shouldn't leave it empty as that can damage the tub), then that's what I might do.

Quickbeam

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 11:14:47 am »
Yes, I’ve heard as well that not having water in the tub can damage it. Just not sure if it’s true or not. Two things I’ve heard is first of all that you have to be absolutely meticulous in getting the water out. Unhook all drain lines, etc., etc. This is to prevent freezing and makes sense to me. The other thing I’ve heard is that if the tub is left dry for too long, the seals can dry out. Just not sure about this one. Maybe someone else with more experience can give their thoughts.

Sam

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 04:42:18 pm »
Having an empty spa is not a problem.  What you probably heard was that you can't let the shell be exposed to direct sunlight when empty.  It can cause the acrylic to warp.  It is totally fine as long as it's covered.

sepandee

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 02:26:43 am »
Having an empty spa is not a problem.  What you probably heard was that you can't let the shell be exposed to direct sunlight when empty.  It can cause the acrylic to warp.  It is totally fine as long as it's covered.
My soft cover only covers within the confines of the tub, so if it's empty then the cover falls in and covers the ground but not the walls. You're saying I should get a cover that blocks the whole tub?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 05:45:52 am »
The seals between the pump motor and pump can dry out and be problematic during startup.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 05:45:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42