What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New owner of an Artesian Antigua with Crystal AOP. Tips for water chemistry?  (Read 15459 times)

MrLobster

Thanks for the info Wizard, I'll talk to the local Artesian dealer and see if he can fit the in-line version.  I'm guessing it goes behind the access panel on the side of the tub?  The Nature 2 cartridges fit inside one of the filters but @ease looks too large to work that way.

Cheers,
Mr Lobster

Hot Tub Forum

MrLobster

Since my last post I've found some more info, dropping this here for anyone else interested.  Looking at the manual, the Inline version is accessed from the top side of the spa so little chance it's available as a retro-fit.

Here's a page with links to the manual
http://www.kingtechnology.com/product/atease_in_line_system/

GamblySmurf

Since my last post I've found some more info, dropping this here for anyone else interested.  Looking at the manual, the Inline version is accessed from the top side of the spa so little chance it's available as a retro-fit.

Here's a page with links to the manual
http://www.kingtechnology.com/product/atease_in_line_system/

Yeah, the inline system looks pretty nice. It seems so convenient that I am mostly looking at tubs that have it.

The Wizard of Spas

The in-line system is only offered on Artesian, Caldera and Marquis.  If you do not have one that is ordered in that way, you have to go with the floater. 

GamblySmurf

The in-line system is only offered on Artesian, Caldera and Marquis.  If you do not have one that is ordered in that way, you have to go with the floater.

Does the in-line system work better than a floater, or are they pretty much the same?

The Wizard of Spas

Apples and Oranges:  No option if you didn't order the aforementioned brand with the system built in.  The cost will be approx the same but if I was offered I'd take it in-line.  However, if I didn't have a new Artesian/Caldera/Marquis ordered with one, I'd still take the floater over a chlorine or bromine or Nature II system, and I sell all four types of sanitizers. 

Note:  "In-Line" means there is a chamber plumbed into the shell itself.  This is not something that can be added post-sale.  Thus, you will need the floater if you already have a hot tub.  In-Line is only available for yet-to-be-ordered tubs from the three brands I mentioned. 

htnj

So got a question; my new Pelican Bay has the AOP system and I see the box when I take the cabinet panel off.
However, how do I check\replace the bulb?

I don't see anyway of opening that AOP box unless disassemble it completely.

The Wizard of Spas

The whole thing must be replaced- There is no bulb to replace.  Only downside to it.

htnj

The whole thing must be replaced- There is no bulb to replace.  Only downside to it.

Hmmm...when we bought it, the dealer said bulb life was like 20k hours (~ 3 years) and it's only a $40 part to replace.  I guess the entire module is that price?
Is there any way to tell if it's functioning or not?

BullFrogSpasMN

Hmmm...when we bought it, the dealer said bulb life was like 20k hours (~ 3 years) and it's only a $40 part to replace.  I guess the entire module is that price?
Is there any way to tell if it's functioning or not?

just to clarify....If you have a UV ozone that requires a bulb typical lifespan on the bulbs is approx. 10-12 months...at that point it will need to be replaced at an approx. $40-$90 cost....the other style is Corona Discharge which will have an approx. lifespan of 2-4 years and at that point the entire unit will need to be replaced, you can get a good corona discharge ozonator online for approx. $149-$199 give or take...here is a site that explains the differences in technical form: http://www.ozoneapplications.com/info/cd_vs_uv.htm

The Wizard of Spas

AOP by Artesian does not have the ability to be changed out in parts.  I asked the manufacturer and they said it had to be changed out completely.  UV/Corona are your more basic types of ozone.  AOP is a different type of ozonator.

BullFrogSpasMN

AOP by Artesian does not have the ability to be changed out in parts.  I asked the manufacturer and they said it had to be changed out completely.  UV/Corona are your more basic types of ozone.  AOP is a different type of ozonator.

similar to Plasma? Dynasty uses a "plasma ozone" which I assume to be a "marketing spin" on a plain old ozone, maybe not though? I rarely sell ozone so I don't care enough to pay attention to all the new marketing terms

The Wizard of Spas

Agreed.  The AOP is like what Catalina Spas used to do with their old Mazzei ozonator- Has a long amount of plumbing so that 100% of the ozone is used prior to it evaporating at the surface.  It is all self-contained though in one kit, as I have tried to get just parts from the factory, to no avail. 

I do not push ozone either.  I am not against it.  But, like my feelings with filters, I know it is at best an assistant to your own personal management of the hot tub's water chemistry.

bud16415

I have a Caldara Geneva with the inline frog system. Last year I stared having problems with the bromine and figured out I was one of the people allergic to bromine. No one else had any issues at all and some used it more than I did my water always tested perfect. I got the bromine out and switched to diclor giving it a daily dose dependent on usage and it is working great. Around the first of the year they finally got the inline ease in stock and I’m about to try it. The main reason I want it is for when we go away for a couple weeks. Other than that I don’t mind hitting it once a day or every other day I think it’s a good idea to keep an eye on it.

One of the problems I had with the bromine was the level thru the inline feeder would change as the cartridge started getting used up. You also have this bromine bank and when you shock you get a huge spike. Might just be me but I had a heck of a time with bromine. Going to diclor by the spoon full after our soak and the next day a very low level when we are in is perfect for me. Plus its cheaper.

Anyone have any thoughts on just using the cartridge when you are away? I have left the minerals in all the time. 

The Wizard of Spas

You're kinda all over the place.  If you are going to the @ease system, you do not shock, save for once a month.  There are two cartridges (not unlike the Frog System): One that lasts 4 months, one that lasts 1 month.  With @ease, pH and alkalinity balance are critical.   pH/Alk is very important on any spa with any sanitation system.  But as there is a reservoir of total chlorine of 10-15ppm but only 0.5-1.0ppm of free chlorine, the chemistry has to be good to maintain a steady sanitizer flow.

Additionally, this chlorine is completely different:  It is not a DiChlor (I forget what the actual active ingredient is) but it is slow release.  Also- The mineral cartridge is a different formula than what Spa Frog/Nature II is made of. 

Thus- You have your cartridges in your in-line feeder, have your pH and alkalinity balanced, and you leave it alone.  You check your pH and alkalinity regularly and replace the cartridges accordingly.

That is all.

Does that make sense?  I hope it does.  Good luck moving forward.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42