What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Please help me with Cost of electrical installation  (Read 13171 times)

amy2421

Please help me with Cost of electrical installation
« on: July 20, 2015, 10:26:43 am »
Hi all,

I am wondering if I can get opinions on how much it should cost for the electrical installation for our new hot tub. I did a quick search and couldn't find any recent answers regarding how much it should cost. Here's how much I was quoted (we are in Ontario, Canada):

$985 to Install approx. 5ft dedicated 50amp 8/3 NMD or suitable cable from main electrical panel to 50amp GFCI outdoor disconnect. Install approx. 65ft appropriate cable from GFCI disconnect to hot tub to supply electrical demands unique to hot tub. (Includes all necessary material to complete job to electrical code) (This includes $120 for the GFCI which is not being provided by the hot tub dealer - I forgot to negotiate it in!)

+ $90 for GFCI protection for light using GFCI device installed to protect circuit. (back porch light is too close to tub location)

+ $180 for 120v Receptacle - 120v 15amp duplex GFCI installed within 5' of disconnect. Includes surface mount box, outdoor bubble cover, 15amp breaker. (our outdoor outlet is too close to tub location, so this is to relocate it further away)

+ $145 for ESA electrical permit for spa/hot tub, includes rough-in, and inspections where required. (Mandatory and this is the cost of the permit.)

Thanks for all advice and opinions!

Hot Tub Forum

Please help me with Cost of electrical installation
« on: July 20, 2015, 10:26:43 am »

dave48103

Re: Please help me with Cost of electrical installation
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 04:38:29 pm »
We paid $400 to run the 50 amp service about 50 feet and install a new disconnect.  Then another $140 to run service outside about 25' and hook up the hot tub. We also purchased a meter to keep track of electrical usage for just the hot tub. He charged $75 to install the meter.

amy2421

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 07:46:28 pm »
That is a large difference! Thanks for your reply.

He also said that he would run 50amp but set the jumper on the hot tub to 60 amp so both pumps and the heater would work. He said that is how they have set up 100's of them... has anyone heard of this before?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 08:55:56 pm »
Hi all,

I am wondering if I can get opinions on how much it should cost for the electrical installation for our new hot tub. I did a quick search and couldn't find any recent answers regarding how much it should cost. Here's how much I was quoted (we are in Ontario, Canada):

$985 to Install approx. 5ft dedicated 50amp 8/3 NMD or suitable cable from main electrical panel to 50amp GFCI outdoor disconnect. Install approx. 65ft appropriate cable from GFCI disconnect to hot tub to supply electrical demands unique to hot tub. (Includes all necessary material to complete job to electrical code) (This includes $120 for the GFCI which is not being provided by the hot tub dealer - I forgot to negotiate it in!)

+ $90 for GFCI protection for light using GFCI device installed to protect circuit. (back porch light is too close to tub location)

+ $180 for 120v Receptacle - 120v 15amp duplex GFCI installed within 5' of disconnect. Includes surface mount box, outdoor bubble cover, 15amp breaker. (our outdoor outlet is too close to tub location, so this is to relocate it further away)

+ $145 for ESA electrical permit for spa/hot tub, includes rough-in, and inspections where required. (Mandatory and this is the cost of the permit.)

Depending on where you are this could be a good price or maybe not. Rates and costs vary across the us.
Retired

Quickbeam

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:00:57 pm »
He also said that he would run 50amp but set the jumper on the hot tub to 60 amp so both pumps and the heater would work. He said that is how they have set up 100's of them... has anyone heard of this before?

That sounds pretty shady to me. If he is going to set the tub to pull 60 amps, then he should be running the appropriate gauge wire. Maybe he has done it before and maybe there have not been any negative consequences, but if there was ever a fire resulted that from this and the insurance company found out you knowingly approved it, my guess is you wouldn't be covered.

If it was me, I'd be looking for a new electrian.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 09:04:43 pm »
 On a J-400 series there is no jumper, it's done through the control panel.  Price wise seems high but then this doesn't make sense?

Guessing it's 65ft to the GFCI by the spa then 5ft to the spa?  120 bucks for a gfci breaker is really high, then add the disconnect even more so.   He can put a regular (I would go 60AMP)breaker in the main panel, then do a 60amp GFCI breaker out by the spa 5ft away.  At Lowes for 60 bucks down here I think?

And electrical demands for hot tub?   ???

180 for a 120v GFCI outlet?

Tell him to cap the porch light off till after inspection.  (deal with it later)

If it were me, id get another bid or two!   

amy2421

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 10:02:28 am »
Thanks again everyone!

Jacuzzi Jim, have you ever heard of running the J-470 on a 50amp breaker with the 60amp setting selected?

sksmoker

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 02:23:00 pm »
Hi all,

Please bear in mind that this is primarily a US site, and most replies will be from such experience. There are a few canucks here floating around, myself being one of them. We put our tub in last year. It cost us $1100 for electrical. We got 3 quotes that were within $100 of each other. Everything is much more expensive up here for this type of thing than the replies you are seeing. Just the wire alone is about twice the price from the US. The GFCI box is about $175 more here from Home Depot alone than down south for a 60 amp "spa breaker panel"...

For us, the tub was 10' away and we put the breaker in the main panel, 100 AMP service on our panel. Your costs are not that far out of line from what I am seeing in the prairies for hot tub install. 8/3 or 6/3 wire is really expensive!

The jumper comment is suspicious as others have stated. If you need 60 amp, then wire it for such. I believe for 60 amp you need 6/3 wire.

Our hot tub "required" a 50 amp breaker, but on the inside of the equipment panel it is stamped "39.8A full" so I am assuming that is the max draw with everything on in the tub so it leaves headroom in the electrical connection. I'm assuming it is the case if you need 60A, your tub will not draw that amount but need the headroom on the breaker.

Waterlogger

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 05:17:08 pm »
It varies from site to site. Sounds pretty typical to me.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 07:12:29 pm »
Thanks again everyone!

Jacuzzi Jim, have you ever heard of running the J-470 on a 50amp breaker with the 60amp setting selected?

No, but suppose it might work.   Most spas pull actually less amps then needed.   The 400 series equipment is pretty smart, if there is not enough amps it will say it on the topside as a warning.   80% of the people go 50amp.

I get the Canadian thing, but he seems to be reaming you a bit.   Average cost here in Bellingham is 8 to 1200.00

sksmoker

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 01:47:50 am »
As Jim has stated, you can never go wrong with a few quotes to see the range. 65 feet of cable is a lot of cable!

kingdarb

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 01:21:08 am »
Where are you in Ontario?  That isn't outlandish as far as the going rates here go, but I paid a bit less.  My electrician ran the line inside the house to the hot tub disconnect on the outside, then TEK cable from the disconnect to the tub and did all the hookups and such.  I believe that he used 6 gauge wire for a 50 amp service, which is a bit thicker wire than you were quoted.

I am near Oshawa Ontario.  The electrician that did the work does stuff all around the GTA.  If you want another quote I would be happy to give you his number.  He is a master electrician and can pull his own permits.

Hi all,

amy2421

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 09:14:51 am »
Where are you in Ontario?  That isn't outlandish as far as the going rates here go, but I paid a bit less.  My electrician ran the line inside the house to the hot tub disconnect on the outside, then TEK cable from the disconnect to the tub and did all the hookups and such.  I believe that he used 6 gauge wire for a 50 amp service, which is a bit thicker wire than you were quoted.

I am near Oshawa Ontario.  The electrician that did the work does stuff all around the GTA.  If you want another quote I would be happy to give you his number.  He is a master electrician and can pull his own permits.

Sure, that would be great! I'm in Hamilton so I'll have to ask him if he goes this far west.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 09:14:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42