What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coast / NorthWind - Need some additional help  (Read 5855 times)

btrain

Coast / NorthWind - Need some additional help
« on: July 20, 2015, 01:30:05 pm »
Hi All,

After about a month of extensive hot tub research my ideal unit would be a Hot Spring Vanguard or Grandee (I prefer traditional seating layouts). But honestly I can't justify the cost, it's just more cash than I'd like to fork up. So as an alternative I'm looking at the NorthWind brand of spa which I understand is made by/at Coast. I know it's a bit of apples and oranges comparing a Hot Spring to a NorthWind, but $13k for a Vanguard vs. $7k for a NorthWind (NWF model - similar to the Coast Freedom) is quite a delta.

One of my main concerns is quality and reliability. And when I look at a $6k price difference if I buy the NorthWind am I going to be disappointed and wish I had spent the extra money?

Would appreciate any feedback, especially if anyone has experience with NorthWind as owner information seems somewhat hard to find.

Thanks -

Hot Tub Forum

Coast / NorthWind - Need some additional help
« on: July 20, 2015, 01:30:05 pm »

sksmoker

Re: Coast / NorthWind - Need some additional help
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:43:59 pm »
You are going to have a very hard time finding any info on Coast/Northwinds online. They deal with their resellers pretty much exclusively and don't publish a whole lot online. You have to do some guessing or else bite the bullet on going to a dealer. This is my main gripe with Coast. We have a Coast Freedom. Bought it last August. The Northwinds tubs are similar with a few downgrades like controls, control panel, warranty. etc. I would compare the Hotspring Hotspot series more with Northwinds from Coast.

The most important thing is that the tub fits, and you are good with working with your dealer. That goes for any brand of tub. Coast uses pretty typical stuff like Balboa controls, and waterway parts, so I can't imagine Northwinds using much less. Looking at them they have a few less selectable features but if this is your first hot tub, then depending on what you are after, it might be worth trying to wet test it. Also be aware of the warranty difference between Coast and Northwinds as there is a difference.

btrain

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:07:56 pm »
Thanks for the info! Very helpful.

sksmoker

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 01:48:11 am »
Good luck with your search!

Spatime

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 10:53:07 am »
The differences between the Northwind Seris is: no angle iron in the fiberglass shell, different topside controls, smaller pumps, smaller filter, shorter warranty and the tub itself is smaller on the NWF it's 36" and the Freedom is 40" deep.  Might be more but that's all I can think of.  You can get the same jet packages I believe not the same shell colors though.  We just bought the freedom and love it but also thought the price point of Northwind NWF was way better.  Hope that helps

HotTubLover57

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 05:29:59 pm »
Btrain, have you looked at Clearwater Spas? They are also made in the USA and energy efficient, but decently priced.

Belize spas are also made by Clearwater. Very nice tubs.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 05:29:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42