What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance 850 heater problem  (Read 5103 times)

Punxybill

Sundance 850 heater problem
« on: July 15, 2015, 08:42:38 am »
Hi all
       Newbie here. I have a Sundance spa, control is the Sentry 850.  The K2 relay is not closing and the heater does not get the 240 voltage. I moved the wire to the K1 (bypassed the K2) and everything seemed to be working. Questions are what controls the K2 relay and what feature am I missing if I bypass it?  I was told that I need a new board and want to make sure that it is not a sensor related issue.
        Thank you
           Bill

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance 850 heater problem
« on: July 15, 2015, 08:42:38 am »

HotTubLover57

Re: Sundance 850 heater problem
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 06:41:59 pm »
 It sounds like your trouble may be two-fold there. First, a pressure switch can require calibration upon installation. That is to say, depending on the plumbing in your tub, some adjustment may be required to get the switch to function correctly. A pressure switch should be open circuit (no continuity) when the pump is off, and closed circuit (continuity) when the pump is running. If this isn't the case, the heater will not operate. If you need help calibrating your pressure switch, you can call free hot tub support at Spadepot 800-823-3638. They can walk you through the process. Once you've established the pressure switch is operating correctly, you can look at the second concern.

The second concern is the temp sensor. The first thing to ask is where is the sensor located? If it's in a drywell in the tub, it should be reading the temperature in the tub itself. Often times however, the sensor is located on the heater manifold. While this is fine, the sensor will pick up the temperature in the heater, rather than the temperature in the tub. This can result in different readings until the pump can run for a few minutes and circulate water through the heater. While you could have a sensor that's bad, here's what we'd have you try: Power down the tub and locate where the sensor plugs into the circuit board. Unplug it and inspect the pins and sensor plug for corrosion or any signs of moisture (past or presnent). Plug and unplug the sensor 5-10 times to polish the pins the sensor plugs into. This will establish a good connection. Power up the tub and let it go through it's priming sequence and filtration cycle. Once the pump has run for 3-4 minutes, the topside controller should indicate the correct water temperature. If not, we can look at getting a replacement sensor. Spa Depot's technical department can help with this too.

Nessuno

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 08:29:49 pm »
I looked at the wiring diagram and the K1 and K2 relays are in series. I can see why you simple wired to K1 and bypassed K2. I can't tell what controls K2, but I wouldn't be surprised if the temp sensor closes one relay, and the flow switch closes another. The High Limit sensor may play into there some where also. Perhaps you are bypassing the functionality of one of those. You could try disconnecting those sensors one at a time from the board and see if the heater still functions.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 08:35:42 pm »

If you need help calibrating your pressure switch, you can call free hot tub support at Spadepot 800-823-3638.

here's what we'd have you try:

If not, we can look at getting a replacement sensor. Spa Depot's technical department can help with this too.

So, you're an employee for SpaDepot?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Punxybill

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 12:41:26 am »
Thanks guys. Was busy on other projects for a few days. I will get back onto this tub in the next day or so. I did find  high resistance connection (terminal) on the wire that I moved to the K1 position. It was heating up. A new terminal cured that issue but perhaps the hot connection took out the K2 relay prior to moving it.

Thanks again
                                     Bill

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 12:41:26 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42