What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Murphey's Law  (Read 6190 times)

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
Murphey's Law
« on: July 11, 2004, 01:38:18 pm »
First of all, I want to thank all of you on this board.  You have been very helpful during this past 6 months of lurking.

I was in a car accident 1 1/2 years ago and decided 6 mos ago that if/when I get a settlement, the money would go towards something that would help my resulting symtoms from the accident.  It only made sense.  I still haven't gotten a settlement, but I'm counting my chickens before they hatch and used or savings.

The spas that we were going to choose from were Artisian, Jacuzzi, D1, Hot Springs,bullfrog, Caldera and Marquis.  

We used our day off to start our initial search. We started at the Artsian Dealer.  He was very helpful and spent a lot of time with us answering questions with no pressure. When we left, we were feeling pretty good about the dealer.  Next we went to look at bullfrog.  This dealer is set up in a "builders showroom" where if you're building a house, it's a 1 stop place that has different dealers selling their wares.  The bullfrog dealer was not there.  It was 2 in the afternoon, all lights were on, but the receptionist had no idea where the guy was.  We waited around, and he never showed.  Bullfrog was out.

Next we went to the Jacuzzi dealer-high pressure sales, but the tub looked nice-set up appt for wet test.  We didn't have good feelings about the sales guy (he knocked other brands and told us he would do all he could to get our sale away from Artesian)  But we heard Jacuzzi was a good brand.  

We went home and made calls to the others listed.
couldn't get through to Caldera-always an answering machine (I'm leary about giving my phone # to salespeople) tried several times over a couple days, same thing.  Caldera was out.

Called D1 dealer to ask what their hours were-only open til 6.  I expressed that we didn't get home from work til about then, and the kid who answered the phone rudely informed me that we would have work something out around their schedule.  D1 was out.

Called Hot Springs, the girl was very helpful, she would have a sales rep call me back.  Sales rep called me back on his way home.  Said he would call me back when he got home, but never did.  Never heard from him again.  Hot Springs was out.

We set appt with Artesian for wet test.  When I got home from work on wet test day, I had a message that something came up and salesman couldn't stay after hours.  We were disappointed but things happen.  We reset the appt.  New appointment was cancelled due to the floor model be sold.  Said we could wet test the Onyx at one of their other stores in a couple days- they needed to set it up.  Called the other store the day of the wet test and the guy said he didn't have anyone to help him move and set up the Onyx- but they had another model- I told them that wouldn't be the same-I wanted to wet test the one I wanted to buy.  Too much hassel-Artesian was out-too bad cause we did like the salesman.

Wet tested Jacuzzi 375.  Very nice, we both liked it and decided to go with 385 without wet testing-almost signed the dotted line but decided to think on it after not getting it for the price we wanted.  He gave us a price of 7800.00 including tax.  We wanted to spend no more that 7500.00 including tax.

Spoke to a friend of a friend who is a repair tech.  He highly suggested Marquis.  Said the dealer here has gotten service awards etc and are very good to work with.  Between his recommendation and everything I've read here, we decided to check them out.  

The salesperson was very helpful answering questions-no pressure.  He wouldn't budge on price at all on Marquis SA Reward for 7718.16 incuding tax, del, steps, cover, lifter, startup chemicals- all the basics (this includes on line coupon).  Wouldn't  throw anything in.   We wet tested and loved it.  In the meantime, Jacuzzi dealer called and said he would for-go his commision and give us the 385  for 7695.00 + tax.  

We then compared warranties and found that the marquis also covers "Unconditionally warrants  the no-fault heater against any failure that requires replacement. Unconditional is defined as.....including but not limited to, water chemistry damage"  Being a first time owner and not familiar at all with chemicals, I liked this.  When I told Jacuzzi dealer that this was a factor- he said he would include the same wording on his warranty.  He can't do this can he?  What about the disclaimers?  Don't all warranties say something like "no other person or entity has been authorized  to make any warranty, representation, or promise."?  Jacuzzi is out-he seems like a snake.  

Sorry this is so long.  There is a part 2.
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

Hot Tub Forum

Murphey's Law
« on: July 11, 2004, 01:38:18 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Murphey's Law
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 02:18:25 pm »
Unfortunately I've never been a tactful person, and I really don't mean to offend you, but I do feel I need to respond to this. So, I'll begin by apologizing for how this sounds.

You get a day off? Boy, I hope no one calls your business during that time, or you'll be "out" too :-) I know dealers so small that the only way to get a day off, or take a vacation is to close up shop for a couple of days. They're as entitled to time off as you or I, and sometimes (frequently) there doesn't exist the money for added employees.

A business HAS to make money. No one is in business to give everything away. Most spa dealers are very small businesses and do tend to bend over backwards to try and help their customers. Sometimes though this can really backfire. Trying to call and talk to you after hours is "bending over backwards. and sometimes, "oops, I forgot my child has a school play tonight" comes into play.

I know a dealer that only has 2 people in the store at any given time. Her belief is that if you're with a customer, you give that customer 100% of your attention. If the phone rings, and both people are with customers, the answering machine picks up.  

A floor model available for wet testing is ALWAYS going to be sold to the guy with check in hand, rather than saved for someone to try out.

Employees don't come cheap (trust me, I have almost 50). Most retailers can barely afford the ones they have and there's no way they have extras "sitting on the bench" waiting to fill in for one that calls in sick.

You may be dismissing what could be the absolute best spa for you. I would really consider a little more patience, especially on an item of this cost, and the desired therapy you're hoping for.

By the way, you're somewhat right about the warranty thing. However I believe there's nothing stopping a retailer from offering their own "extended warranty, just know that the MANUFACTURER is under no obligation and will NOT back it up. It's only as good as the dealer.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 02:18:52 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Electro

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 02:33:16 pm »
Dr. Spa is right.  It is better to take your time, even though it is frustrating to wait for dealers who seem to not be available when you want them.

Go visit the dealers cold.  They'll give you more attention when you're there.  Of course, some don't.  But, I have found that the dealers whose owners work for sales are the best.

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 03:01:44 pm »
Good advice given above.

Funny how of all the dealers I visited and talked to the rudest one was the D1 dealer. As for the Marquis dealer, more visits and show of interest can be effective at softening up a price that won't budge - if that ends up being one that you want let them know you're serious and tell them about the other tubs that you are seriously considering.

There are plenty of quality choices out there for $7500.
Take your time and wet test, and wet test some more.

BTW, you might be eligible for a tax write-off for your spa purchase with a doctor's perscription - I don't know the details, but something you might want to look into.
e

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
Re: Murphey's Law-Part 2
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 03:12:37 pm »
We went and wet-tested Marquis again.  Liked it even more and ordered it on 6/16/04.  Finally the search is over.  Now is when Murphey's law kicks in.

Salesman said it would be on the next truck- Probably 10 days to 3 weeks.  Pretty quick compared to what I've been reading here.  On day 10 hubby called to see what they knew.  They said it would be leaving on Tuesday the 29 and arrive Friday-call the delivery guys and make appointment cause they get busy-alright!  We'll be sitting it it on the 4th of July!!! Yippee!!  The truck came on Friday and our Tub wasn't on it  :'(.  He said it will for sure be on the next one, but because of the holiday weekend, it will be on Tuesday July 6th.  Called delivery guys- we are the first appt on Tuesday.  Took the day off-got someone to cover my shift.  Mind you, I'm not paid unless I work, but that's o.k. because it will be worth it.  On Tuesday, I waited and waited and waited.  The delivery people were tired of hearing from me, is the truck here yet?, no haven't heard anything.  About 3 pm I got a call.  The truck broke down, don't know where it is or when it will come in.  They'll call me- sounds like Friday though.  Called Thurs just to get an idea.  The truck will come in either late tonight or early Fri AM.  Excitment builds again.  Now, I know that this is only 3 weeks later, but it has been the longest 3 weeks I've ever had to go through.  Hubby is p.o'd .  I keep reminding him that it's still within the 3 weeks that salesman told us.  He's just frusterated with all the problems-it will be here, it won't be here, it will be here, it won't be here.

I took the day off again on Fri.  I was getting a little nervous though, by 11:00 the truck still wasn't here. Sigh.  The call came at about 11:30 it's here, it's here!! Delivery guys said they'd be here at 2:30, and they were.  Nice guys, they set up the tub, did their thing and left.  I filled it with water and waited for my brother in law (the electrician) to come.  He called, bad news can't make it til Sat or Sun.  Damn.  Called the dealer- "do I hve to drain it?"  He said if it's later than Sun then, yes, otherwise it should be fine.  Brother in Law was able to make it yesterday.  (All electric was run previously, ready for final connection)  BIL was here for 3 hours-for some reason, the breaker kept tripping.  Called dealer and they repeated what BIL has already done.  Finally, they said they have a diagram that shows to put hot wire pigtailed with neutral wire (?) BIL didn't have time to wait for me to run and get diagram- left and said he'd come back tmo.  In the meantime, called a different electrician friend.  He came over and followed diagram exactly.  We had 240 all the way to the tub- breaker wasn't tripping anymore.  That was good.  Still, the tub wouldn't work though.  All the testing with the meter was good.  2nd friend says the board is bad.  Sorry, there's nothing he can do.

Called dealer this A.M.  They said the techs don't work on Sundays (understandable)  and they don't know what the techs schedule is tmo.  They will call tmo A.M. to let me know when they can come out.  I just hope I don't have to take another day off work.  Hubby is furious to say the least.  I just hope that when he finally gets to use it,  all will be forgotten.   Sigh.....
Minnesota Consumer

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 05:18:58 pm »
It is amazing how stressful these things can be.

Give my regards to Murphy, I have encountered him many times in my life so far . . .

Given time I am sure things will turn out just fine

Have Faith,

You soon will be up to your neck in hot water, and just relaxing   Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Zz
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 05:38:19 pm by ZzTop »

IonHeaven

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 05:51:22 pm »
I hope you'll let me know how thing work out, as well as how quickly you forget all about the problems once you are soaking in your hot bubbly tub!

I too have faced problems with several dealers and my Marquis dealer has me pretty annoyed as well. If you like, you can read my recent post 'Dealers can't sell me a Hot Tub'.

I'm still leaning mainly toward Beachcomber, though I'm considering giving Marquis one more chance since I hear such great things about the tub...but concerned about his service if he could care less about my sale.

Let us know how things work out! IonHeaven

IonHeaven

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 05:52:37 pm »
I hope you'll let me know how thing work out, as well as how quickly you forget all about the problems once you are soaking in your hot bubbly tub!

I too have faced problems with several dealers and my Marquis dealer has me pretty annoyed as well. If you like, you can read my recent post 'Dealers can't sell me a Hot Tub'.

I'm still leaning mainly toward Beachcomber, though I'm considering giving Marquis one more chance since I hear such great things about the tub...but concerned about his service if he could care less about my sale.

Let us know how things work out! IonHeaven

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 09:46:42 am »
Hey Ruby!  They say patience is a virtue. But I know that when we are speaking about a spa virtue is sent packing out the door 'cause ya want it now.  Hang tough, you will soon be in your spa surrounded by warm water.

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 05:16:17 pm »
Thanks DooDoo- your right.  People tell me all the time how I'm the most patient person thay've ever met- and yes, it did fly out the door with this whole spa thing!

The good news is that techs were out today-two of the nicest guys I've ever met.  They even made my hubby happy again, and not so quite p.o.'d at the whole situation.

The bad news is that a relay switch on the board was broken near where the wiring goes in and they had to change out the board.  They said they don't know yet if it will be covered under warrany until they send it to marquis and they make the decision whether it came that way or if my friend of a friend electrician did it.  If it's not covered, it will cost us about 500.00- I'm not gonna get excited until the time comes. (That's the patient me coming out).

I don't know if there is a trip charge involved- they didn't say anything about it- is that something they bill you for later?

But the bottom line is- MY NEW MARQUIS IS UP AND RUNNING!!!! At 9:00 pm we figure it will be about 95 and ready to hop into.  Unfortunatly,I won't be getting home from work until about 1:30 though.  I figure everyone will be in bed sleeping and I will have a nice quite spa to myself.  MINE-ALL MINE!!!!!!  (unless the forecast is right and we get storms)---Of course, this will probably be THE time that the weather man is right!  Wish me luck.
Minnesota Consumer

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 08:49:52 pm »
Good luck, Ruby!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 08:27:26 am »
aaahhhh---spatopia....
Did I say I was having issues?  I don't remember.

It's all I could think about while I was working.   I couldn't get in quick enough when I got home last night. I had forgotten how great those jets felt from the wet test.  My 17 yo daughter was still up when I got home, so she joined me.  She had been in earlier with her Dad, so she was my jet tour guide ( now try this one- you're gonna love that one, etc)  Stayed in for about 1/2 hour.  Went to bed and slept like a baby.  
Minnesota Consumer

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 08:58:31 am »
amazing is'nt it Ruby. And the bonus is you get to say hello to the kids that used to not want to be with you.

Enjoy!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 08:58:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42