What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Narrowed Down - Please help with advice  (Read 15078 times)

sjones145

Narrowed Down - Please help with advice
« on: June 11, 2015, 11:42:47 am »
I've been researching spas for about 8 weeks now and have learned much through forums like this.  We're a family of four (my husband, me, son and daughter).  Primary purpose of spa is to relax and enjoy the therapeutic benefits as well..  some entertaining w/kids & their friends.  I'm thinking of a spa capacity for 6 - 7 persons.

I really liked the Caldera Geneva but the best price that I have (all features, cover, tax) is $10.5K.  That's a bit high.

My target price w/tax, cover, lifter, ozone system, steps is ~$8000.  (we'll need to spend another $1K to run the 230V line)
I think we've narrowed down to the South Seas Spas (748L or 850L) and the Bullfrog (A7L, A6L or R6L). we definitely want a lounger, captain chair and one or two seats with higher elevation.

Please offer up your recommendations on the above, especially Bullfrog.  What is a fair market price in the Houston area?

Thank you
sjones

Hot Tub Forum

Narrowed Down - Please help with advice
« on: June 11, 2015, 11:42:47 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Narrowed Down - Please help with advice
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 12:00:35 pm »
South Seas (Artesian) and Bullfrog are probably on par with each other so I'd question back whether you've tried to set up a wet test with either? Every spa maker has different brands at different price points so while $8k out the door can be a bit limiting there are good spas out there at that level but whichever spa you buy will be in your back yard for the next decade plus so take your time deciding and try to wet test since that will tell you as much as anything.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

sjones145

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 12:03:35 pm »
Hi - I haven't wet tested, only dry-tested both.  The Caldera Geneva we did wet test, though.
I plan to wet-test in next week or so.

really, with running the 230V line, my target total price is $10K (so, spa w/taxes would be ~$8800 - $9000

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 02:12:09 pm »
Hi - I haven't wet tested, only dry-tested both.  The Caldera Geneva we did wet test, though.
I plan to wet-test in next week or so.

really, with running the 230V line, my target total price is $10K (so, spa w/taxes would be ~$8800 - $9000

If you liked the Geneva after a wet test but it was $1500 over tour budget then they should have had a model just below that to wet test that would meet your budget but as long as you are wet testing then you should find something that works because $9k tax included will still get you a good spa.

sjones145

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 02:58:48 pm »
sorry, I meant to state we tested the Cantabria - largest model in Utopia series but too big.
I've sent another message to the dealer to see what they can offer in our price point.  the other models that they had to wet test were D1s -- these were too deep and above $13K.

sjones145

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 05:01:54 pm »
I'm down to final steps:  go back to wet test and make a decision.  I have tried to negotiate and doesn't seem I will get much more off pricing.  Does the below seem to be good market pricing in Houston area:

Caldera Geneva (tax, delivery, start-up, cover, cover lifter II, steps):  $10.5K   (Caldera Palatino would be $8.6K but seems a bit lower quality)

Bullfrog R7L (tax, delivery, start-up, cover, cover lifter, Wifi module, stainless steel jets, ozonator, steps):  $10.3K

South Seas 850L (tax, delivery, ozonator, steps):  $9.5K

I realize this is not exactly an apples to apples comparison and that warranties are different as well.  I'm comfortable with the 3 above models and dealers, now I need to know if these are fair and competitive prices.

Thank you

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 07:48:52 pm »
I would think there is wiggle room in all of them. Get serious now and decide between the three and make an offer about a grand below or ask for extras (filters, chems, extend warr)
Retired

sjones145

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 01:30:36 pm »
ok, two more posts  :)

I've eliminated the South Seas Spas.  Although I read good things, I feel that the quality & class of hot-tub is a step up for the Caldera Geneva and Bullfrog R7L.

I might negotiate a bit on price.  Both sit comfortably.  Now the key question, for me, comes down to reliability & quality.  Is the Bullfrog Jet Pack system really much more reliable in terms of plumbing leakage vs a traditional plumbed style?  I really do not anticipate that we will be switching around the jetpacks on the Bullfrog.  Same question for shell and other engineering of the spas.  Warranty on these two models is more or less the same and I hope I won't have to have an incident during the warranty period.

So - please feedback on the engineering & reliability aspects.  My next post -- which spa I Chose.

Thanks

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 02:32:12 pm »
Both have good reputations and the prices are basically the same so assuming both dealers seem like the kind that will be there for you after the sale, this really should be all about which wet tests better IMO.

Melw1028

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 12:34:33 am »
Can I make a suggestion ? I live in the Houston area too and I am also in the market for one. The Houston hot tub and swim spa expo is this weekend. If
You have time, go to it and check it out at Reliant Stadium tomorrow. I tried a Sundance Chelsea and loved it this weekend but I do plan on going to the show tomorrow o make sure I am comparing all tubs and prices since most all the vendors will be there.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 07:32:56 am »
ok, two more posts  :)

I've eliminated the South Seas Spas.  Although I read good things, I feel that the quality & class of hot-tub is a step up for the Caldera Geneva and Bullfrog R7L.

I might negotiate a bit on price.  Both sit comfortably.  Now the key question, for me, comes down to reliability & quality.  Is the Bullfrog Jet Pack system really much more reliable in terms of plumbing leakage vs a traditional plumbed style?  I really do not anticipate that we will be switching around the jetpacks on the Bullfrog.  Same question for shell and other engineering of the spas.  Warranty on these two models is more or less the same and I hope I won't have to have an incident during the warranty period.

So - please feedback on the engineering & reliability aspects.  My next post -- which spa I Chose.

Thanks

If you got a dealer telling you the jet pack system is more reliable than traditional plumbing systems he's lying to you.
Retired

sjones145

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 01:08:01 pm »
Thanks for the info
We did go to the Expo this am--  only Master Spas so we didn't stay long

Melw1028

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 09:05:19 pm »
I was so mad about only Master Spa being there and advertising it like other brands would be there -What a huge sham.  >:(

sjones145

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 10:31:26 pm »
I agree, ver misleading

We'll probably go with the bullfrog R7.  I like the Caldera Geneva, too.  Both dealers are less than 30 miles and reputable.  The main decision point is the price, Caldera is a little more than $500 than the bullfrog. For the most part, feature by feature, is very comparable.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 07:19:53 am »
Thanks for the info
We did go to the Expo this am--  only Master Spas so we didn't stay long

I was wondering about that when the topic of a show came up.   It sounds like your going about this the right way.  Don't be shy about visiting a dealer multiple times, even if it is just to stop and look again.  Multiple visit might get a deal rolling.  I will also add my family is smaller and I had dreams of hot tub entertaining and it turned out to be far less than we imagined.    I downsized on our 2nd tub.  99% of the time its my wife and I.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 07:19:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42