What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: SunPurity by Sundance  (Read 5548 times)

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
SunPurity by Sundance
« on: July 10, 2004, 12:15:36 pm »
Is this the same as Nature2?  If I were to use this in my Cameo, what else would I need chenical wise?  What would I use to shock?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

SunPurity by Sundance
« on: July 10, 2004, 12:15:36 pm »

Electro

Re: SunPurity by Sundance
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 02:14:03 pm »
                  ;D :):) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D ;D

The SunPurity is the same chemically as the Nature2 for spas.  The difference is the shape.  The SunPurity is designed to fit into the Sundance brominator.

The product sold as Nature 2 for spas is not the same as the product sold by the same name for pools.  The pool product distributes both silver and copper ions into the water and is quite effective in sanitation in conjuction with small doses of chlorine, e.g. 0.5 ppm continuously.  For reasons that the manufacturer (Zodiac Pool Care, Inc.  -  see site at www.nature2.com) is unwilling to discuss, the spa product only distributes silver ions into water and is much less effective in sanitation than the pool product with the same name.

Details of the failure of the Nature2 spa product to perform as a sanitizer as advertised can be found on the Roberts Hot Tubs site at http://www.rhtubs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/config.pl
See the Vermonter and Northman (two expert microbiologists) posts and info within the FAQ portion of the site.  Nevertheless, Northman strongly recommends that the Nature 2 spa product be used for its ability to soften spa water and allow for some sanitation when the chlorine level drops.

I have personally contacted the Zodiac manufacturer and received some information on a few scientific studies of the spa Nature 2 product.  The info is non-conclusive about its action as a sanitizer.  However, they quote study results that appear to show effectiveness against some microbes, without studying any real situations with the kinds of microbial contaminants that all spas have.  It is also clear that the manufacturer is unwilling to explain why they made the decision to not include the copper ions,which appears to be the key to any real effectiveness in combination with silver ions.

So, this is a product that may provide some benefits, but you absolutely cannot count on it as a sanitizer.  It does soften spa water and gives water a silky feel and provide at least some residual sanitation.  For about $22-25, its certainly worth a try.

Electro

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 07:49:21 pm »
Thanks Electro

So, I would just need the SunPurity only in my spa and just use a little diclor after each soaking.

Would I still need to use other chemicals like PH up, ph down, etc.

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 07:55:31 am »
Dazed, there is some great info on water maintenance found in the FAQ at www.rhtubs.com

This info has helped me quite a bit.  

OnMedic

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 08:00:52 am »
Hey Gang,

Great post Electro. That being said, is it the same conclusion for Rain Forest Blue, which is the Copper Ion?

Thanks
OnMedic

Electro

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 12:21:01 am »
dazedandconfused,

CalicoskiesNC is right.  See the web site.  Yes, you will need some basic chemicals to adjust the water - pH up and/or down, Sodium bicarbonate from the grocery to increase alkalinity, etc.  Review rhtubs site and go to the FAQ for methods from Northman and Vermonter.  Northman also recommends ozone, in addition to diChlor and Nature2/ SunPurity.

OnMedic, You are correct about RainForest Blue, which I also researched.  The evidence is that its performance in spas is even less than Nature 2.  The amount of actual copper ions that it can dissolve and maintain in water is so miniscule that it is practically worthless.  Note that you may get a lot of copper oxide and other useless chemicals which just muck up your water.  To get enough copper to work by itself requires an expensive ionizer.

Electro

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 12:21:01 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42