What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Importance of a two speed pump and heated blowers?  (Read 2672 times)

MrLobster

Importance of a two speed pump and heated blowers?
« on: May 11, 2015, 07:06:47 am »
Hi All,
We're almost at the point of buying our first spa and have narrowed the choice down to a few models, could use some advice though.

First, do many people use the lower speed setting of two speed pumps?  And is the speed control just down to the spa pack, or do we need a different pump to upgrade from one to two speed?  Getting technical, if it is just the pack that makes a difference, does the pump 3 expansion board for a Balboa BP601 run two speeds?  I've read their spec and sell sheets but so far can only figure out that there is an expansion board available, no clue on the part number or who sells it.  [Edited] Ignore that last bit, I found another sheet that confirmed only BP501 has the expander, the Eurpean BP601 doesn't have the option

Second question is about heated blowers.  Do they make much difference to running costs, and do they make a noticeable difference to the experience?  We don't have the option to wet test the spa with the blowers which possibly rules it out anyway.

We're in the UK, so heat loss and running costs are a bit more of a worry than for the lucky folks in warmer climates.

Thanks in advance,
Lobster
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 07:21:29 am by MrLobster »

Hot Tub Forum

Importance of a two speed pump and heated blowers?
« on: May 11, 2015, 07:06:47 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Importance of a two speed pump and heated blowers?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 08:45:50 am »
Welcome to the forum!  Someone offers heated blowers?  I rarely use my blowers except in the summer time or when I throw in chemicals and want them to disperse.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

MrLobster

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 10:53:43 am »
Canadian Spa have the heated blowers, rated at 900w on the Alberta, but it's not clear if that is the heater rating, fan rating or a combination of both.  Also they pull air from inside the cabinet to get extra warmth.  Can't imagine you would want to have that feature when the weather is warm.

Sam

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 03:36:39 pm »
Personally, I would never get a hot tub with a blower, especially in a cold environment.  They offer no little to no therapy, are loud, reduce efficiency, and create more potential problems. 

MrLobster

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 04:20:16 pm »
Thanks for the info Sam, I hadn't considered the noise they create.  That's another problem with not being able to wet test that tub - no idea how loud it is

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 04:20:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42