What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need custom cover, lightweight for indoor hot tub  (Read 3937 times)

Brittany

Need custom cover, lightweight for indoor hot tub
« on: May 09, 2015, 01:30:15 am »
My hot tub is in the garage and will never go outside and therefore have any direct UV, rain or inclement weather exposure.

I am a wheelchair user and have limited strength. The cover I have is ten years old, and while it is cracked and has no vapor barrier, it hasn't taken on any water. It weighs in around 40-50 pounds. I'm glad I took it with the hot tub because I know I absolutely can't lift it on my own. 

There are a few types of covers I have researched on the forums, YouTube, and various small retailer websites. Tonneau, rolling cover (made with angled wood and flexible foam), a DIY cover made from slats and tarps, retail aluminium covers, and the industry standard 4-2" cover like I already have. While each has its benefits, they all have a serious down side. Anything which will deter me from using my spa is a bad thing, as the spa is the only way I get circulation in my legs outside of my air machine (full leg cuffs to prevent a pulmonary embolism- the kryptonite of everyone in a chair/bedridden.)

Here are the downsides as I see them:

Standard cover- too heavy for me to initially unfold. Once folded onto a good lift, it won't be a problem. Most are overkill for what I actually need.
Tarp/Soft Cover- too unwieldy and unstructured. This likely involves me getting wet or water on the garage floor, and I still have to find some way to hang it up. Many use an air bladder also, and reaching always has the potential for a fall.
Rolling cover- I could see this working if I store it on a set of L-brackets mounted off the side of the tub. The issue here is to keep as much moisture in the tub as possible.
Aluminium cover- cost prohibitive

My goal is simply to keep the water in the hot tub. The average user needs to protect their tub from the elements, and a majority of users have no problem with a bulky or heavy top.

The design I have in mind is a cover constructed much like a standard cover but without the thickness and weight (and likely strength due to the structural supports in the cover.) What I have in mind is a 1-2" flat cover, with dual vapor barriers (since it is inside, I can foresee prolonging the life of the cover far longer than 3-5 years) and marine-grade vinyl. With the proper lift, I can imagine this design functioning for many years to come.

I've seen other spa owners use a spa blanket, and while it sounds cost effective, it also sounds like I would take a bath every time I wanted to get in the spa.

My husband is an engineer and I'm very mechanically inclined (we met through our mutual interest in cars) so I can make any of the covers except the vinyl cover just because I can't do much sewing right now. I'm totally open for suggestions and ideas for something new. What's surprising to me is the limited number of designs on the market, but I won't let that stop me from finding something to work well for my needs.

Hot Tub Forum

Need custom cover, lightweight for indoor hot tub
« on: May 09, 2015, 01:30:15 am »

Kev B

Re: Need custom cover, lightweight for indoor hot tub
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 10:41:56 am »
 I would probably just get a thick foam thermal blanket and be done with it...you will lose steam regardless of what cover you get. If you need a spa hard cover, you can get a 3" flat hard cover with 1 pound density foam which will be very light. Also, you can consider a cover lifter with gas shocks.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Need custom cover, lightweight for indoor hot tub
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 10:41:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42