What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to choose...?  (Read 8946 times)

jujubee

How to choose...?
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:55:36 am »
So my wife and I are in the market for a hot tub.  We live in the Albany, NY area.  We have visited a few dealers and the brands that they "Sell" include Hot Springs, Life's Great, Sundance, Maax, Thermospa and Marquis.  I have tried to research all of these and of course each dealer claims theirs is the best and will provide a list of reasons why.  After reading many reviews on each brand (not so many on Life's Great), I am more confused than ever...

Some questions I still have are...

1) Salt vs. Fresh water (Chlorine/Bromine chemicals)?  I know salt eventually makes chlorine but no smell and seems less harsh.

2) 100% NO bypass filtering? Hot Springs has some with NO bypass filtering which sounds good but wont that restrict water flow rates as the filter collects particles?

3) 110v or 220v ?  Does this change pump sizes and therefore enjoyment levels due to pressure at jets?

4) Lounge seat or not? (Some claim you [women] float in them and they are not comfortable)?

5) How do you really select a brand?

I would appreciate any feedback.  It seems there is little information about Life's Great spas but they have some good pricing now.

Hot Tub Forum

How to choose...?
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:55:36 am »

Coleman

Re: How to choose...?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 05:26:40 am »
The wife and I are looking also, What I have been doing, read a lot of older post on this forum and use the search function, Take your time in choosing a spa. DONT Ever take a dealers word for something if they are getting a commission!!!! If they make a promise get it in writing! Chose the pros and cons of each spa you are looking at and compare and WET TEST All of them, If the dealer don't want to do a wet test cross them off the list and move to the next one.
Hope this helps a little I am no expert, I have been looking at a spa since last august and finally choosing between 2 at the moment, wet test will decide and what the dealer is going to do for me, hopefully by the end of summer I will have my hot tub

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:06:44 am »
So my wife and I are in the market for a hot tub.  We live in the Albany, NY area.  We have visited a few dealers and the brands that they "Sell" include Hot Springs, Life's Great, Sundance, Maax, Thermospa and Marquis.  I have tried to research all of these and of course each dealer claims theirs is the best and will provide a list of reasons why.  After reading many reviews on each brand (not so many on Life's Great), I am more confused than ever...

Some questions I still have are...

1) Salt vs. Fresh water (Chlorine/Bromine chemicals)?  I know salt eventually makes chlorine but no smell and seems less harsh.

2) 100% NO bypass filtering? Hot Springs has some with NO bypass filtering which sounds good but wont that restrict water flow rates as the filter collects particles?

3) 110v or 220v ?  Does this change pump sizes and therefore enjoyment levels due to pressure at jets?

4) Lounge seat or not? (Some claim you [women] float in them and they are not comfortable)?

I would appreciate any feedback.  It seems there is little information about Life's Great spas but they have some good pricing now.

1. Shouldn't be part of your choice until you chosen a brand/model.
2. Shouldn't be part of your choice until you choose brand/model.
3. Shouldn't be part of your choice until you choose brand/model.
4. Once you choose brand/model and sit in some tubs you can decide this.
5. Kick some tires. Who's in your area? Who have you visited?

Good pricing usually means cheaply build, poorly warranted, un-efficient hot tub.
Retired

dporter22

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 11:44:00 am »
(5)  I also struggled with which brand and ended up choosing the one that had the things that were important to me (build quality, ABS frame and pan, no diverter valves, selectable jets, no-questions-asked warranty, made in the USA).  Each person has to decide which factors matter more to them and choose the brand which has the best combination of those factors.

seabeece2

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 05:49:43 pm »
I would go with any name brand as long as it suits your needs , and I would definitely use a 220v system if available in the model you like.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 06:05:28 pm »
I would go with any name brand as long as it suits your needs , and I would definitely use a 220v system if available in the model you like.

Important depending on your geographical location. Yes.
Retired

MarKee

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:44:26 pm »
My suggestion would be go with the Marquis, HotSpring, or Sundance.  Steer clear of the Life's Great & ThermoSpa.

The salt systems on the HotSpring have had a lot of issues, do a search for ACE Salt System and you will find a lot of complaints, but there are a few people that have had good luck with them.

I'm a Marquis proponent, and I prefer the mineral/bromine system on the Marquis.  Low amounts of chemicals, easy to use, and not possible to break this type of system.

100% no bypass should not be a determining factor, it's likely that all of the spas you are looking at will filter fine.  Some spas pull more gallons per day through the filters, which some would argue is more important than the 100% no bypass.

Have you thought about wet-testing some of the spas?  A lot of people find this to be important. 

Also, make sure you buy from a reputable dealer.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 02:14:05 am »

The early versions did have issues but the current Ace system works very well and is easy to use and maintain. Its an added feature that is worth it to some while others chose the old fashion way which is fine as well.

That's a good question that not many ask. It would be a restriction if Hot Spring used 1 or 2 filters only and/or used the standard paper filters. Instead the filters used are a special type that allows for much more water flow through them and there are as many as 5 filters so that flow is not an issue. Have the dealer show you when you're in the store.

If you're in a moderate climate and/or you have an issue that forces you to go 110V that can be fine but 220v is certainly far more preferable for reasons you mention plus rate of heating.

If you don't wet test I'd suggest you skip the lounge but if you do wet test and the lounge works for you then go with it.

You should visit the dealers in your area and based on the brands you like and the dealers you like you should then wet test your favorite 2 or 3 spa models to see which is best for you.

I thought I knew most brands but that's a new one for me. As mentioned earlier I'd stick with Hot Spring, Marquis and Sundance from your list.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:17:00 am by Hot Spring Ace »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 01:37:39 pm »
Take a look at Hot Spring, Jacuzzi/Sundance, and Bullfrog....the rest are fighting for the scraps

jujubee

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 05:22:19 pm »
Thanks to all who commented.  I think we are going to look at Hot Springs & Sundance and forget the rest.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 08:44:32 pm »
You have it narrowed down to 2 good brands. I think you are underestimating marquis though. Wet test all 3 I think you might be surprised at which one feels the best

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 10:31:17 pm »
I had thought Life's Great spas was also Greatlakes...but looking them up, they're different. Personally I would, run Forrest run, for them. Their site advertises a 10 Star rating from PoolSpaRatings, and I recall a number of us debunked that site a few years ago, tracing it back to the owners and the stores they operated.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 10:47:10 pm »
I had thought Life's Great spas was also Greatlakes...but looking them up, they're different. Personally I would, run Forrest run, for them. Their site advertises a 10 Star rating from PoolSpaRatings, and I recall a number of us debunked that site a few years ago, tracing it back to the owners and the stores they operated.

Life's great is owned by Andrew McClure. His tubs were made by the same people who made dr wellness but I believe they are being made by premium leisure now

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 12:25:59 am »
So are we talking private label...for what tend to be considered over  priced entry level manufacturers?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

MarKee

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 01:18:57 pm »
Wet test the Marquis as well.

I had a friend that brought in Life's Great to sell at shows and I checked in with him 6 months later and he said it was a nightmare.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 01:18:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42