What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: warranty fee/ travel charge  (Read 3592 times)

Coleman

warranty fee/ travel charge
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:11:02 am »
 In my search for a hot tub. When I talked to 2 different dealers both of them wanted to charge me a trip fee for doing warranty work, I am 45 min from both of them. I can understand a trip fee if I did something wrong or I broke something, but I guess I don't understand the logic of something that I paid my hard earned money for with a warranty and the dealer making a profit from my sale. Its not like I can bring the hot tub in for service work.
Do theses dealers not get reimbursed from the MFG? or do they not have that much faith in the product that they sell that they have to charge the costumer a travel charge and get reimbursed  from the MFG?
Can the buyer negotiate the contract when buying the hot tub/ travel charge while the tub is under warranty? And get it in writing.
Can others tell me what you have done on this matter? The brands are Hot Springs/ hot spot and Jacuzzi.
Thanks for your input.
Coleman

Hot Tub Forum

warranty fee/ travel charge
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:11:02 am »

Kev B

Re: warranty fee/ travel charge
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:48:28 am »
 In an effort to make customers for life, I never charge trip fees even though the pay for a warranty call is minimal. I guess it is at the discretion of each company.

castletonia

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:36:11 am »
What the dealer gets in reimbursement from the manufacturer is usually minimal.  I don't charge a trip charge the first year but do after that.  In rare occasions, I have given in writing that there would be no trip charge if needed to close the sale, but not to someone one was a significant distance from my store.

Every warranty I have read states it is at the dealers discretion whether they do or don't charge a trip or mileage fee.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 12:07:55 pm »
In my search for a hot tub. When I talked to 2 different dealers both of them wanted to charge me a trip fee for doing warranty work, I am 45 min from both of them. I can understand a trip fee if I did something wrong or I broke something, but I guess I don't understand the logic of something that I paid my hard earned money for with a warranty and the dealer making a profit from my sale. Its not like I can bring the hot tub in for service work.
Do theses dealers not get reimbursed from the MFG? or do they not have that much faith in the product that they sell that they have to charge the costumer a travel charge and get reimbursed  from the MFG?
Can the buyer negotiate the contract when buying the hot tub/ travel charge while the tub is under warranty? And get it in writing.
Can others tell me what you have done on this matter? The brands are Hot Springs/ hot spot and Jacuzzi.
Thanks for your input.
Coleman

It is fairly common but it varies by dealer, some don't while some do and others do based on how far away the owner is (and 45 minutes is a bit of a drive). Of course everything is negotiable so discuss it further if/when you're a serious buyer. If they won't budge on dropping it maybe you can get them to waive it the first year at least.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 12:15:34 pm »
Over the years, in order to keep the price of a spa as low as possible, many manufacturers have been reducing the amount they pay to deals for doing warranty work. And reducing it quite significantly...to the point, that's it becomes a LOSS for the dealer. Their options are to either raise the retail price of the spa to cover warranty work (which can now make them too much more expensive that the guy down the street), or charge a travel fee. Either way, ANY warranty is NOT free. You pay for it in the cost of the product you're buying...or, in this case, in a travel charge.

FYI, if you were to buy a new car, and it breaks down and needs to be towed to the dealer for "warranty" repairs, the vast majority of the time YOU'LL be responsible for getting it to the dealer. Most products, if they break, you have to return in at YOUR expense to get it repaired.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 06:08:13 pm »
Very good summary Doc......
Retired

Coleman

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 12:21:06 am »

It is fairly common but it varies by dealer, some don't while some do and others do based on how far away the owner is (and 45 minutes is a bit of a drive). Of course everything is negotiable so discuss it further if/when you're a serious buyer. If they won't budge on dropping it maybe you can get them to waive it the first year at least.
[/quote]

Spatech,  Yes 45 min is a drive, but I want to go with a quality mfg, This is what happens when you live in a rural setting. When I get serious on buying a tub I will negotiate the travel expense, to waive the 1st yr I would be happy with for warranty work. I am just trying to be a very educated buyer and not be the guy that the dealer goes Oh Not that guy again when I come in. I also don't want to waste his time till I get serious, My time is just as important to as is his time. I will also have to drive 45 min to the dealer to look at hot tubs also!
Thanks for the info.

Coleman

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 12:23:02 am »
Over the years, in order to keep the price of a spa as low as possible, many manufacturers have been reducing the amount they pay to deals for doing warranty work. And reducing it quite significantly...to the point, that's it becomes a LOSS for the dealer. Their options are to either raise the retail price of the spa to cover warranty work (which can now make them too much more expensive that the guy down the street), or charge a travel fee. Either way, ANY warranty is NOT free. You pay for it in the cost of the product you're buying...or, in this case, in a travel charge.

FYI, if you were to buy a new car, and it breaks down and needs to be towed to the dealer for "warranty" repairs, the vast majority of the time YOU'LL be responsible for getting it to the dealer. Most products, if they break, you have to return in at YOUR expense to get it repaired.
That clears a lot up for me

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 01:34:53 pm »
through discussions with other retailers/dealer its seems the majority of dealers are doing a trip fee, we have one that is very minimal ($50) but I know some other local dealers are charging upwards of $125 for a trip fee which is BS imo

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 01:34:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42