What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Opinions on Hot Spring cleanliness of water..is it all that?  (Read 13195 times)

Tsmith

Opinions on Hot Spring cleanliness of water..is it all that?
« on: April 06, 2015, 09:18:26 pm »
Hi there,
First time hot tub shopper looking for a few opinions.  I've narrowed down some choices on hot tub options between two very reputable brands, Hot Spring and Marquis.  The Hot Spring dealer keeps pushing the cleanliness of their water quality.  I understand the concept, its all filtered..every bit of it through their design.  But should I let this really sway my opinion at all if I flat out like the layout of the other guys better?  I'm getting the feeling they may just be trying super hard to get the sale, so can I get some opinions?  Is the design of the High Life line at Hotsprings really that much better than a more traditionally filtered unit with footwell intakes for the jets?  Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Opinions on Hot Spring cleanliness of water..is it all that?
« on: April 06, 2015, 09:18:26 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Opinions on Hot Spring cleanliness of water..is it all that?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 09:44:21 pm »
 While yes all the water in a HS spa goes through a filter, it's really cool.   The kicker is so does everybody else's spa  ;) Difference is you have 3 to 5 filters to clean instead of one or two.    What you have to look at it water turn over and FWIW filters don't kill bacteria in the water.    HS builds a nice spa and so does Marquis.   Don't let things like that get to you, figure out which one you like, what one fits your budget and which dealer you feel will take care of you best and go with it.   

Tsmith

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 09:56:08 pm »
So are you saying that because the water turnover is higher in a Marquis spa, their water is just as clean as a HS spa?

kporter

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:54:29 am »
I think he is saying do not let the filtration be the deciding factor for you. Both have good filtration and the water will be clean when maintained properly on either brand. I am partial to Hot Springs but it is all about the right configuration (seats, jets, depth etc) for you, reputable / reliable brand, a dealer that supports you and their product. IMO.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 11:02:27 am »
While yes all the water in a HS spa goes through a filter, it's really cool.   The kicker is so does everybody else's spa  ;) Difference is you have 3 to 5 filters to clean instead of one or two.    What you have to look at it water turn over and FWIW filters don't kill bacteria in the water.    HS builds a nice spa and so does Marquis.   Don't let things like that get to you, figure out which one you like, what one fits your budget and which dealer you feel will take care of you best and go with it.

But that's just not true. The other spas out there have a bypass, Hot spring doesn't. If you're saying the other's filtration is adequate or more than adequate then sure, that's fine but to say ALL the water goes through the filter on other brands is not accurate.

TSmith, the no-bypass filtration system is really great at keeping the water clean but a Hot Spring spa is about much more than that feature alone and your decision needs to be based on much more than that as well.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:14:16 am »

But that's just not true. The other spas out there have a bypass, Hot spring doesn't. If you're saying the other's filtration is adequate or more than adequate then sure, that's fine but to say ALL the water goes through the filter on other brands is not accurate.

TSmith, the no-bypass filtration system is really great at keeping the water clean but a Hot Spring spa is about much more than that feature alone and your decision needs to be based on much more than that as well.

So your saying that in say a 400 gallon spa, with pump 1 running in low speed turning over say 120 gallons an hour that some of the water is not getting filtered?     LOL..

Budule

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 03:44:50 pm »
bottom line , as soon as you get in the tub , there is poop in the water...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 04:07:29 pm »
"a 400 gallon spa, with pump 1 running in low speed turning over say 120 gallons an hour"...

A 2 speed pump, running on low speed, is going to move more like 700 to 1000 gallons an hour.

In addition, most "bypass" filters have  a spring loaded bypass. What this means/does is that when the pump is running in low speed, the force of the spring keeps the bypass CLOSED (ALL water running through the filter). When the pump goes into high speed, THEN the bypass will open, allowing water to bypass the filter, hence, increasing the pressure at the jets.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 04:10:20 pm by Dr. Spa™ Ret. »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

MarKee

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 05:12:25 pm »
I think the more important thing is how many gallons per day is being filtered.  The Marquis filtration will filter quite a bit more water per day.  Also, the bottom suctions on a Marquis are plumbed in to the filter housing, and the water that is pulled in through the bottom is forced in to the filter.

I also like the automatic 1 hour "Smart Clean" filtration cycle on the Marquis after you get done using the tub that automatically kicks on.

Both are good tubs and will filter the water well, I would base your decision more on wet testing each model that you're interested in.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 06:32:48 pm »
The reality is with Hot Spring Highlife and NXT its setup so that when people are in the spa and the pumps are running and sweat, hair and other less pleasant things get in the water the spa is set up so that 100% of the water goes through the filters, no other spa is set up in that manner and it works great. Others will filter more later in the filter mode to make up for that difference which also works well as we see with other Hot Spring spas like Limelight and Hot Spot.

To the original poster I think your next step is to wet test the models you're considering and see how each works for you.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 07:05:13 pm »
I agree with HSA, put filtering way further down your list as long as your choosing a quality brand.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 08:06:45 pm »
The reality is with Hot Spring Highlife and NXT its setup so that when people are in the spa and the pumps are running and sweat, hair and other less pleasant things get in the water the spa is set up so that 100% of the water goes through the filters, no other spa is set up in that manner and it works great. Others will filter more later in the filter mode to make up for that difference which also works well as we see with other Hot Spring spas like Limelight and Hot Spot.

Sweat really, and others will filter more later in filter mode?     I swear to goodness you guys are brain washed at spa school..   LOL 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 09:42:29 pm »
Wet test, wet test, wet test. You have it narrowed down to 2 tubs. To say one filters better then the other is asinine. They have two different systems which work for each tub. I think when you wet test the marquis you won't be disappointed!

Tsmith

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 10:01:28 pm »
I loved the marquis wet test you are right.  I can't wet test the Aria because the local dealers won't fill it.  Best I can do is wet test the vanguard.  I prefer the seat layout of the marquis for more than 2 people but love the Jets...of the Hot Spring Spas. The layout of the Aria is good two for 2-3 people.  Argh.  I could drive possibly drive 4 hours to try and wet test the aria but all the local dealers are in cahoots and won't allow wet testing of one!  Now that's asinine if you ask me.  Sitting in it dry it seems comfortable enough with plenty of footholds to keep from floating away.   The only thing I didn't like about the vanguard was the footwell was too wide and didn't allow for that.  The Wish has the best of both worlds, small footwell with footholds but a layout where 4 people could comfortably sit.  I expect we'll rarely have four folks in the tub but it sure would be nice to have that comfort.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:05:02 pm by Tsmith »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 10:09:24 pm »
I loved the marquis wet test you are right.  I can't wet test the Aria because the local dealers won't fill it.  Best I can do is wet test the vanguard.  I prefer the seat layout of the marquis for more than 2 people but love the Jets...of the Hot Spring Spas. The layout of the Aria is good two for 2-3 people.  Argh.  I could drive possibly drive 4 hours to try and wet test the aria but all the local dealers are in cahoots and won't allow wet testing of one!  Now that's asinine if you ask me.  Sitting in it dry it seems comfortable enough with plenty of footholds to keep from floating away.   The only thing I didn't like about the vanguard was the footwell was too wide and didn't allow for that.  The Wish has the best of both worlds, small footwell with footholds but a layout where 4 people could comfortably sit.  I expect we'll rarely have four folks in the tub but it sure would be nice to have that comfort.

The wish is a cool tub plus right now is spirit of a wish month with marquis. There is a $600 coupon on marquis website for that tub. Anybody who comes in my store and wants to wet test something I have in stock I will always fill it and allow it. Really not that hard to do

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 10:09:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42