What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tub Location Restrictions  (Read 8834 times)

Buckeye

• Jacuzzi J-365 Owner
Tub Location Restrictions
« on: July 08, 2004, 09:25:48 am »
After talking with an electrician over the phone yesterday, I was told that "any" electrical equipment such as a hot tub/outlet/fixture/ etc. should be at least 10 ft from my service entrance panal (the box below my meter) to technically meet the National Electric Code.  They are sending a person over tomorrow for an estimate, but this info came as a suprise.  

Now that I think about it, there is a 220V Central Air unit sitting approx 4 feet from it already that, from the way that she's speaking would be in violation too.  It wasn't in violation on our closing papers,  and the house is only 3 years old???

Anybody familiar?

Buckeye   ???

Hot Tub Forum

Tub Location Restrictions
« on: July 08, 2004, 09:25:48 am »

spaguyohio

Re: Tub Location Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 10:35:23 am »
Im not an electrician, but when I got my tub, the dealre told me the gfi/disconnect had to be at least 5 feet from the tub. The reasoning in simple English is so that someone cant be in the tub and getting ready to fondle a live circuit at the same time.  I'd call a few others and see what they have to say.

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 10:47:59 am »
Im not an electrician, but when I got my tub, the dealre told me the gfi/disconnect had to be at least 5 feet from the tub. The reasoning in simple English is so that someone cant be in the tub and getting ready to fondle a live circuit at the same time

It's the same in Canada about this disctance.  And Buckeye, like you my central AC unit has a disconnect not one foot from the unit.  And that was installed and inspected in a 30 year old home by the local utility inspector.

So when it comes to codes and reality, these are two different things. My GFI panel is only a foot from the tub but below my removable step which access the panels for the mechanicals of the tub.  The inspector said, ''well I guess you can't reach that without some effort!'' and signed off on the work.  Hey whatever works for me.  OH! and the dealer also agreed to the panel because I made them aware of it at installation time to not void the warranty.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 04:56:41 pm »
It's the same in Canada about this disctance.  And Buckeye, like you my central AC unit has a disconnect not one foot from the unit.  And that was installed and inspected in a 30 year old home by the local utility inspector.

So when it comes to codes and reality, these are two different things. My GFI panel is only a foot from the tub but below my removable step which access the panels for the mechanicals of the tub.  The inspector said, ''well I guess you can't reach that without some effort!'' and signed off on the work.  Hey whatever works for me.  OH! and the dealer also agreed to the panel because I made them aware of it at installation time to not void the warranty.

Actually the code reads as 5' from the water line, OR separated by a permanent barrier so that the distance of reach from the water line is greater than 5'.

A disconnect CAN be much closer to an air-conditioner since it's not a vat of water you might be sitting in when you reach for the disconnect, and possibly electrocute yourself (a disconnect being quite different than the originally mentioned "service entrance panel").
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 05:47:48 pm »

Anybody familiar?

Buckeye   ???

I certainly never heard that from a dealer when discussing generalities about installation prep.  I wonder if having a sealed unit designed to be outside under the weather (AC unit)  would be different than a large body of heavily treated water.  Having a electrical/electronic background I can see the logic of not having the two close together but I would think any electrical box outside should be built to withstand severe wind/water conditions.

Intriquing question, be glad they pointed this out before delivery day and you poured cement.  Does this effect your installation plans?

By chance to you live in a condo with adjoining walls to neighbors?  I've noticed around Columbus in such cases there are external service panels , but most single family homes, the drop comes into the meter and then through conduit to the main breaker panel.

I've always assumed that fire/rescue people needed to be able to kill power to adjoining buildings in emergencies.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 05:52:48 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Electro

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 02:39:13 am »
H..mmn,

There just might be an error or two among these posts.  Distances of one foot, 5 feet, 10 feet.  It is beginning to look like this is a multiple choice test.  Obviously, it is possible that an electrical inspector could be wrong and not understand the whys and wherefores of code rules.

Electro

OnMedic

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 08:30:58 am »
Yes, here is Ontario (Canada) it is 5'. Must be in line of sight from the tub, and if not have a lockable panel. Underground cable (direct burrial or conduit) must be a minimum of 18" below grade with Red Caution tape running 8-10" down.

You can place your GFCI pannel outside, or you can install it inside with a disconnect outside (same as your A/C) no leass then 5' from your tub as outlined above.

Hope this help! Just went through it and was on the phone a couple times to triple check with the local Electrical Safety Authority inspector.

Cheers,

OnMedic

Buckeye

• Jacuzzi J-365 Owner
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 10:02:24 am »
I think the lady I talked to on the phone had the distance from the meter thing a little messed up.  It's distance from the tub.

I had an electrician stop over for some estimates on Friday.  My first problem was that where I had planned on sitting my hot tub once my deck is built will not meet code.  >:(  Fortunately, I can flip-flop my deck design layout so that the tub and it's planned privacy fence will me on the other side.  My first violation would have been that I would have been placing the tub on a 2ft high deck and it would have been sitting directly overtop of underground electric, cable and phone lines - this is a no-no.
As for some of the other distance questions the only one I'm sure of is that the tub's disconnect must be a minimum of 5 feet of the tub, no more than 50 feet away, and visible from the tub.  I actually emailed a guy who's considered an advisor to the NEC (National Electric Code) and he wasn't sure about some of it ???.
I also learned from my electrician that I couldn't have any outlets (I think lighting too, but don't quote me) within 5 feet of the tub.  This is a good thing to know if your planning for both a hot tub and a deck or patio for it at the same time.
I tried to call my local building department 4 different days last week and nobody picked up the phone.  I also called the supervisor of the city electrical inspectors - Neither have called back  :-Xssholes

Hope this info saves somebody from facing problems,

Buckeye
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 10:08:00 am by Buckeye »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 10:02:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42