What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Average age for Hot tub?  (Read 5956 times)

jcmsrv

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Average age for Hot tub?
« on: January 10, 2015, 09:01:09 pm »
Hi Everyone!
We have a top line hot tub that is about 8 years old. Over the last year it started falling apart. The main circuit board kept failing, but could be re-set. The Hot Tub company said that they could not longer get that board, but a custom built board was available for $1,000.00. ??? During the winter while we were away, the board quit, the heater dropped out and the tub froze, damaging piping line under the tub. Once the water thawed, then drained out, the 24 hr. circuit pump failed because there was no water pumping thru it.

We are now looking for a new tub, hoping to find a higher quality with a long warranty. Any ideas?
John

Hot Tub Forum

Average age for Hot tub?
« on: January 10, 2015, 09:01:09 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Average age for Hot tub?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 11:54:44 am »

We have a top line hot tub that is about 8 years old.

"Top of the line", based on whos opinion?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 12:05:11 pm »
Hi Everyone!
We have a top line hot tub that is about 8 years old. Over the last year it started falling apart. The main circuit board kept failing, but could be re-set. The Hot Tub company said that they could not longer get that board, but a custom built board was available for $1,000.00. ??? During the winter while we were away, the board quit, the heater dropped out and the tub froze, damaging piping line under the tub. Once the water thawed, then drained out, the 24 hr. circuit pump failed because there was no water pumping thru it.

We are now looking for a new tub, hoping to find a higher quality with a long warranty. Any ideas?
John

We are going to need more information. What brand?
Retired

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 04:11:15 pm »
pretty weak if they can't even guarantee parts availability for at least a decade...most of the big top brands guarantee parts availability for 15-20 years

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 06:26:03 pm »
I'ma thinking it was a salesman that convinced them it was, "top of the line"....and there's a few companies that will repair or rebuild a board for far less than a grand.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

jcmsrv

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 09:04:41 am »
Sorry, I was trying not to name "names". I bought a Artesian Piper Glen in 2006. The main control board started giving me problems around 2012/2013. It would shut off the heater because of flow switch problems. The switch worked fine, but I changed anyway, same problem. Called my dealer and they informed me that Artesian could not get that board any more, but could have one "built" for $1000.00. I though that was very high. During this time we were away and the control board dropped out the heater and it never came back on. The tub froze a couple of lines, one in a bottom footwell area, that I cant get to. Once the tub thawed and drained, the 24hr. pump failed. A bunch of the jet popped out and will not re-seat. So I am looking for a new tub, checking out Sundance & MAXX.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 10:08:00 am »

John

Let me say, I owned a Dynasty for 8 years, I'm 2 years into a Sundance I really like.  However, I run my own PC service company and I go into a lot of homes.   When ever I notice they have a hot tub, it becomes a conversation starter.   I'd say in the 3-4 times someone has had a tub more than 15 years and it is still in use, it was a Hot Spring tub.  FWIW, obviously that doesn't guarantee they will still build them that well.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

jcmsrv

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 10:43:46 am »
Thank you Wmccall!
I believe you were on this fourm when I was shopping for my first hot tub in 2006. I take some of the blame for the hot tub failure, because I did not get the control board fixed before I went away for 3 weeks (to a warmer place!). So now I am looking for a setup that will allow me to monitor the tubs temp. over the internet. This way I could call my dealer or a neighbor that has access to my house while I am away. I have Sundance/MAXX/Hot Springs dealers in my area and will be looking at all of them. Going away mid-Feb to mid-March and plan on making he purchase when I get back.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 08:03:17 pm »
Yea, I think you could get a few more years but do you want to? The not being able to get a board thing is really what cooked it. That's concerning. The repair might only be 1500-2000?  Even a retrofit control would of been better on the board though. A good tech would of suggested it. Find a new guy if you get a new tub.
Retired

jcmsrv

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 01:25:55 pm »
Hi Everyone,
We have ordered a MAXX 480 with everything. I liked their construction and the fact that the complete tub can be re-built in place. The tub comes with the seating that we like, fits into the same spot as our older one, 5 year parts & labor warranty with local dealer about 15 miles away. The tub also has remote monitoring of temperature, which may keep it from freezing again while we are away.

Thanks to everyone for their input

holleigh

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 07:30:04 pm »
Our Sundance Optima lasted 15 years. My FIL has a Hot Springs that is nearly 20 years and still ticking.

I should say we moved our Sundance once and we also experienced a short that caused a heat pump to freeze. We have replaced the circuit board, heater, water pump and had a few leaks. Our exterior was redwood and it is rotting now so badly the cover lifter literally fell off. Tub still works and we are trying to enjoy every last iota of life. Probably would not buy Sundance again.

Looking at Hot Springs and Bullfrog after thinking we might buy Marquis. Ugh it is overwhelming really so much info... Great thread to start though!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 07:30:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42