What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying a Spa Out of State  (Read 2788 times)

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
Buying a Spa Out of State
« on: July 10, 2004, 10:22:15 pm »
If I were to buy out of state, do I pay sales tax for that state or the state I live in?  Can I not pay the dealer sales tax and just claim it on my tax forms?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Buying a Spa Out of State
« on: July 10, 2004, 10:22:15 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Buying a Spa Out of State
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 10:55:32 pm »
If you were to walk into the store and buy it and pick it up yourself, you would pay sales tax in the state of purchase. If, they deliver it to you in a different state they likely shouldn't charge you sales tax.

If you call and order it and they deliver it to you out of their state, they should not charge you sales tax. It is though YOUR responsibility to report the purchase to your own state and pay them sales tax.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 01:32:20 am »

If you call and order it and they deliver it to you out of their state, they should not charge you sales tax. It is though YOUR responsibility to report the purchase to your own state and pay them sales tax.

Take this seriously. In CA, there are nice little forms to use to pay these taxes - though very few people use them. People assume that if you buy something from out of state you just get it tax free. Fine. Just hope you don't get audited.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 01:32:20 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42