What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: High TDS after 1 week. Help!!!!  (Read 3918 times)

altheastamps1

High TDS after 1 week. Help!!!!
« on: March 11, 2015, 10:36:21 pm »
I recently purchased a USED 2007 Sundance Chelsee spa. I wanted to go with the Cleanwater Blue symptom as I have sensitive skin.

We didn't do a system flush prior to filling tub. The filters were new and the shell was cleaned with spa cleaner.

I filled the spa with softened water that passed through a neutralizer and has some soluble iron/tannins. My base stats are as list below
TDS=300
pH=7.4
TA=70
Calcium= 75

At Startup, I added:

oxyspa=2.5 tbs
diclor=1.5 tsp
Cleanwater Purge=18 ml for metal sequestering
Seaclear clarifier=22 ml
Cleanwarter Blue=22 ml

We have been adding 1.5tbs of Oxyspa (MPS) after each use as instructed

After a couple of days I retested the pH and found it was above 8 and TA=150. I added multiple doses of spa down and acid magic over multiple days with no change in pH/TA.

Today, I had my TDS checked today, since the pH wasn't budging, and it was 3,000 after 1 week of 2 people using it 1-2 times a day.

What could account for this? There was a fair amount of white chips in the water after starting up the spa. I cleaned the filter 2 times to remove residues. Could it be from left over residue from the previous owner driving up the TDS?

Any advice would help, this is my first spa and I am totally frustrated. So far not as relaxing as I had hoped.

Hot Tub Forum

High TDS after 1 week. Help!!!!
« on: March 11, 2015, 10:36:21 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: High TDS after 1 week. Help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 07:34:54 am »
Welcome to the forum.  I'll leave the real answers to people with more knowledge, I'm just the zoo keeper.   This comes easier after a while.  How many people are using your tub. Guidelines are guidelines and not rigid requirements. I learned that when I got my 2nd tub, its holds about 75 less gallons than my first and our daughter moved away so I had to cut my dichlor use quite a bit.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 07:36:34 am »
I recently purchased a USED 2007 Sundance Chelsee spa. I wanted to go with the Cleanwater Blue symptom as I have sensitive skin.

We didn't do a system flush prior to filling tub. The filters were new and the shell was cleaned with spa cleaner.

I filled the spa with softened water that passed through a neutralizer and has some soluble iron/tannins. My base stats are as list below
TDS=300
pH=7.4
TA=70
Calcium= 75

At Startup, I added:

oxyspa=2.5 tbs
diclor=1.5 tsp
Cleanwater Purge=18 ml for metal sequestering
Seaclear clarifier=22 ml
Cleanwarter Blue=22 ml

We have been adding 1.5tbs of Oxyspa (MPS) after each use as instructed

After a couple of days I retested the pH and found it was above 8 and TA=150. I added multiple doses of spa down and acid magic over multiple days with no change in pH/TA.

Today, I had my TDS checked today, since the pH wasn't budging, and it was 3,000 after 1 week of 2 people using it 1-2 times a day.

What could account for this? There was a fair amount of white chips in the water after starting up the spa. I cleaned the filter 2 times to remove residues. Could it be from left over residue from the previous owner driving up the TDS?

Any advice would help, this is my first spa and I am totally frustrated. So far not as relaxing as I had hoped.

Next time try just the dichlor. Skip everything else. Use a little after every soak.
Retired

Sam

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 02:37:32 pm »
Sounds like there was a lot of buildup in the plumbing.  I would do a system flush and start over, assuming that you are getting an accurate TDS reading.  Even without the issues I would do a system flush on a used spa.  I am also a believer in doing so once a year on any hot tub. 

altheastamps1

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 03:18:26 pm »
So I did a little test in 2 different 5 gallon buckets.

Bucket 1= my water (warm)+ adjusted diclor
Bucket 2= my water (warm) + metal purge product

my pH dropped in both buckets from 7.2
Bucket 1=6.8
Bucket 2=6.2

I wondering if the water got acid, started dissolving everything. TDS spiked up giving me a faulty pH reading of above 8 a couple of days later. Any thoughts?

Interface

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 08:32:17 am »
I must be dyslexic since I read "High STD after 1 week..."  Maybe this hot tub thing isn't for me  ;D

Quickbeam

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 11:51:47 am »
I must be dyslexic since I read "High STD after 1 week..."  Maybe this hot tub thing isn't for me  ;D

That's funny!

Waterlogger

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 07:04:26 pm »
3000?! I would check the TDS meter.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 07:04:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42