What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Intro and typical "new guy" question about installation!  (Read 1882 times)

caseyh46

Intro and typical "new guy" question about installation!
« on: March 06, 2015, 02:27:28 pm »
Hello all..  Just registered and am trying my best to absorb all of the information here :)

Please forgive me if this has been covered a hundred times but I really did try searching!

My wife and I have purchased a new hot spot rhythm (7x7) and I am working on prepping the pad. I've tried to do as much research via google as I can  but I want to make sure I do it right.

I'm figuring the load at 6000lbs... overkill a bit I know.. but I want it to be safe. The dealer said to plan for 120 lbs per square foot.

The tub will be sunk down into a deck. The existing hot tub has been removed by me because it was in terrible shape however I found that the existing "pad" is in excellent shape. Essentially I need to raise it about 18 inches to please the Mrs. :)

So.. this is what I currently have to work with.  A "nearly spot on level pad of about 4 inches of good gravel"  Yay for small favors!

My plan that I'd like opinions on is this...

Starting from the  bottom:

12x12 x 8" tall pier blocks with an adjustable (for leveling purposes) 4x4 brackets. I was then going to add another 1/2 to 1" of gravel just because it seems like the right thing to do.

I want to make a grid of 12 of these and then use pressure treated 4x4 posts as beams. Thus giving me 3, 4x4 beams spaced no more than 2' apart.

On top of this I would lay 1/2" pressure treated plywood to make the base for the new tub to sit on. I would fasten the plywood to the existing deck just to keep it from sliding around as the tub was installed.

Now from what I can figure based on a 6000lb number is that would give each "pad" in contact with the ground about 500lbs to deal with which I think is really good yes?  Also.. based on the weight limit numbers of the various components of this build it would  seem that it should carry this load without issue.

These things combined should raise the tub the desired amount and provide a nice flat "new" base for the new one to sit safely. Once in place I'll just fill in the gaps in the deck with trim or small steps or something like that. My biggest concern is the correct support of the spa. The gentleman at the dealer was very helpful but overall didn't seem to think it was a huge ordeal to prep a space for it. He mentioned just laying down 3 cross ties and sitting it on them but that seemed just a bit too nonchalant.

Thank you for any advice or opinions in advance. I'm looking forward to trying to take it all in as we go along!

-Casey

Hot Tub Forum

Intro and typical "new guy" question about installation!
« on: March 06, 2015, 02:27:28 pm »

Sam

Re: Intro and typical "new guy" question about installation!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 03:06:14 pm »
Sounds like unnecessary overkill if you ask me.  I would just build a little platform with 4 x 4 posts and 2 x 8 joists. A mini deck if you will, rated for 120 lbs per sq. ft.  That spa that you purchased shouldn't even be 100 lbs / ft.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Intro and typical "new guy" question about installation!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 03:06:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42