What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Brand New to Hot Tubs - Any Advice Appreciated  (Read 5860 times)

Levelheadsteve

Brand New to Hot Tubs - Any Advice Appreciated
« on: December 29, 2014, 03:05:17 pm »
Hi,

I live in the Sacramento area and my wife and I have begun looking at hot tubs.  We'd like to purchase within the next month.  I have been to a few showrooms.  There are two that have been in business for over 30 years.  One sells both D1 and Marquis.  The other sells Hot Springs.  We want a 7 foot (or 8 foot) tub and are trying to stay in the $6,000 - $7,000 range (including cover, lift, steps etc.) ...the lower the better of course.

The D1 tub we've seen is the Dream with the UltraLife tub material.  Does anyone have experience with this material and is it really more durable/better/easier to clean etc... than acrylic?  It isn't very attractive like the nice acrylic tubs are, but the lifetime guarantee with the UltraLife is nice (I know after seven years it is up to the customer to get the tub back to the manufacturer for repair).

Any recommendations?  Any pros and cons to acrylic vs. the UltraLife?  Any other good manufacturers to consider?

I've been reading many of the posts here in the forum and it has been very helpful already.

Thanks,

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

Brand New to Hot Tubs - Any Advice Appreciated
« on: December 29, 2014, 03:05:17 pm »

richierich

Re: Brand New to Hot Tubs - Any Advice Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 04:07:38 pm »
The manufactures that you have looked at are all top notch. You should add Sundance, Jacuzzi, Caldera to your list. A wet test is necessary for valid comparisons. You might find after researching that upping the budget a little will get you into the top line of a given manufacture. Good luck in your search and remember to have fun in the process.

Levelheadsteve

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 04:11:23 pm »
Thanks Rich.  I'll look at those brands as well.

D1 claims to have the only ozone system that can operate while the tub is in use.  Is that a big positive vs. the other brands?

richierich

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 05:41:43 pm »
D-1's ozone chamber system is pretty cool and I imagine it works well but ozone systems in the other brands of tubs work well also. Remember that it is how comfortable you are when soaking in the tub, how the jets feel and so forth. Ozone helps maintain the water but is not a necessity. Find a tub that you are comfortable in and a dealer you like and you are home free. Well not really free but you know what I mean. ;D A tub from any of the brands mentioned will be a quality tub.

Sam

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 02:57:40 pm »
I'm a big fan of D1.  They build a great product.  The other brands mentioned are also solid.  Wet test, and see what feels best to you. 

I'm not a fan of that ultralife material, but I wouldn't really factor that into my decision. Their ozone system really is the only one that operates while the spa is being used (that I know of).  I'm not sure that really means a whole lot, but it is absolutely true.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 03:37:52 pm »
Thanks Rich.  I'll look at those brands as well.

D1 claims to have the only ozone system that can operate while the tub is in use.  Is that a big positive vs. the other brands?

Welcome to the forum.  I think you have received good advice so far.  The only thing I will add is ozone is the lowest factor in my decision.  I believe both of my tubs has UV-type ozone emitters.  They supposedly last a year or two before a bulb needs replaced.   I kept my first tub almost 10 years and my 2nd one is just past two years old.  I assume even on my current tub the bulb is probably not working, but I can't tell the difference on with or without ozone on either tub.  I don't mean this to take away from any good tub that has it, its just not high on my list of important things.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Levelheadsteve

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 06:54:58 pm »
Thanks for all of the input.

I visited my local Cal Spas dealer today and I had low expectations.  Turns out, he has a great reputation in this area (I checked with friends and online) and has some nice tubs in stock.  Any opinions on Cal Spas; especially for models from the past five years or so? I have done a search, but most threads are fairly old.

Sam

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 11:24:59 am »
Cal Spa is a shady company and their hot tubs are notorious for shoddy workmanship.  Their sales guys have gotten really good at making excuses.  The company here says, "That was old ownership.  They have gotten much better since the company changed hands.  No problem".

You can get a blinged out spa with all kinds of bells and whistles for less than more reputable brands.  They will tell you, "This is a $15k spa, but right now we have a deal and it's only $7k".  It is actually a terrible spa that you can always get for $7k.  They use sleazy used car salesmanship.  It is not some special deal you are getting.  It is a spa that offers a lot of features for a low price because it is cheaply made.

People want to think that they got an amazing deal.  Cal Spa's sales tactics play to that.  Ask anyone who owns a Cal Spa and they will tell you how great of a deal they got.  In actuality, they are just cheaper spas.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 02:11:13 pm »
Thanks for all of the input.

I visited my local Cal Spas dealer today and I had low expectations.  Turns out, he has a great reputation in this area (I checked with friends and online) and has some nice tubs in stock.  Any opinions on Cal Spas; especially for models from the past five years or so? I have done a search, but most threads are fairly old.

Any my opinion is probably old as well, I no longer have a cal spa dealer here.  The components used in the tub seem pretty ordinary and available to almost anyone.  They used the same type jets that I had in my old Dynasty tub and those wore out quickly.  The fact your dealer has a good reputation should be helpful.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Levelheadsteve

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 11:05:26 pm »
Thanks everyone for all of the input. Just waiting now on getting an estimate on the electricity and getting it run. That should be done soon. We hope to have something delivered and running during January.

Does anyone have input on the Hot Springs Flair and HS in general?  They look really nice and our local dealer has been in business since the 70's, which is encouraging.

Thanks!

Sam

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 11:58:56 am »
Thanks everyone for all of the input. Just waiting now on getting an estimate on the electricity and getting it run. That should be done soon. We hope to have something delivered and running during January.

Does anyone have input on the Hot Springs Flair and HS in general?  They look really nice and our local dealer has been in business since the 70's, which is encouraging.

Thanks!

Hot Spring is widely considered to be a top tier manufacturer.  The Flair is a nice spa.  Wet test it if you can.  If it works for you, you can't go wrong.

Levelheadsteve

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 05:50:06 pm »
Thanks Sam. I'm looking forward to wet testing the Flair tomorrow.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 05:50:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42