What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Spring Flair vs Sundance Hamilton.. Help..  (Read 7021 times)

f6487

Hot Spring Flair vs Sundance Hamilton.. Help..
« on: October 31, 2014, 11:58:12 am »
I've been doing my research for a month or two now.  Hopefully I'm getting closer to narrowing this down between two models.  In the Hot Spring Limelight series I liked the Flair.  We wet tested it and we enjoyed it.  Pricing seems to be somewhere between $8500 - $9500 out the door.  With your basics included.  Steps, cover, lifter, panel, chemicals, delivery, etc. 

Recently visited a local Sundance dealer in Cotati, CA and looked at there 780 series.  The 880 series seems like it's in the $10k range and that's over my budget.  But the 780 series had some nice models.  I liked the layout of the Hamilton.  It's just a little bigger than the Flair and looks like it's a little cheaper also.  The initial price was $8695 but he said he could do $8195, plus tax.  That's with steps, cover, lifter, chemicals, delivery, etc.

What I didn't like about the Sundance dealer was they only had the 880 series Optima filled with water.  Not one other tub on the floor was filled because he said it just costs too much money to have them all filled.  I wanted to wet test the Hamilton.  Yeah, I can sit it in and do a dry test but that doesn't do me any good.  He said he tells people to wet test the Optima.  That didn't fly.  I have another Sundance dealer somewhere near me but really don't want to drive all over the county to find a Sundance dealer where I can wet test.

I'm also getting a little crazy from trying to do side by side comparisons of the Flair vs Hamilton.  Jet sizes, heater sizes, filtration systems, vertical pumps vs horizontal pumps.  Can anyone tell me if these two tubs are at least on the same playing field. 

Also, the Hot Spring tub comes with a panel and runs off 220.  The Sundance spa's don't come with a panel.  Can anyone explain that to me.

Sorry for all the questions here guys.  I'm just trying to be as educated as possible before I make a decision and start trying to get the best price I can. 

Lastly, I was wondering which of these two models had a better warranty or are they similar?

Appreciate any feedback..

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:26:30 pm by f6487 »

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Spring Flair vs Sundance Hamilton.. Help..
« on: October 31, 2014, 11:58:12 am »

f6487

Re: Hot Spring Flair vs Sundance Hamilton.. Help..
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 03:48:12 pm »
Anybody?  Can use some feedback..  My local Hot Springs dealer just emailed me saying they are having a zero sales tax special this weekend.  That's an attractive offer..

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 06:04:44 pm »
 Both are decent spa's and offer the same warranty.   Breaker wise the HS has to give you or sell you what they use because it is different than a std GFCI.      Vertical pump or horizontal pump makes no sense.   they are all horizontal unless I am missing something here.    As far as a wet test can't help you there, I do feel the filtration in the Sundance is better than the flair, I also don't like all the interior lights in the flair shell as each one is one more hole in a spa, I would also give the edge to the jets in the Sundance, but that's me.     The no tax is a nice incentive, that being said, it's a very good price on the Sundance. 

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 06:18:40 pm »
I think he was referring to vertical filter vs. horizontal.  Industry standard is vertical, including Jacuzzi. ;)  I would imagine the filtration is going to be fairly equal in those 2 spas.  However, given a choice, I would lean toward a vertical filter.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 06:21:43 pm »
  Doh!  Filter didn't cross my mind..    In that case scratch both and go look at a Jacuzzi  ;D 

f6487

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 11:43:23 am »
Guys,  Sorry about the vertical pump vs horizontal pump question.  I meant filter as you quickly pointed out.  So just so I'm clear.  The industry standard is vertical filters but some brands have a horizontal filter?  Is that correct.

Any other feedback on whether the HotSpring Flair and Sundance Hamilton are on the same playing field.  The Flair is part of the Limelight series and the Hamilton is part of the 780 series. 

It looks like from my research that Sundance is a little lower in price.  Do you agree?  I've heard nothing but great things from people who own both so it's a tough decision.  I need to find a store where I can wet test Sundance models.  Then I'll be able to make a better decision. 

Thanks.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 12:00:59 pm »
 Yes both are on the same playing field for the most part.   The Sundance is bigger at 7'5 vs 7' on the Flair.  While most use vertical type filtration don't let it sway you either way.  Both work very well.    The Flair is a 65 sqft while the Sundance I believe is 120 and also ads the micron filter as well.    Really both are nice spa's, pick a dealer you like and if you can find one wet test the Hamilton.  Again I feel you are getting more bang for the buck with the Sundance.  That being said it doesn't really matter to me which way you go, you are the one buying it.   Good luck to ya  8)   

Chartreux

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 11:25:17 am »
Go to the other Sundance dealer and see if they can let you do a wet test in the tub your wanting to buy. What the Sundance dealer here did for us was ask us to go to lunch and they'd call us when the spa we were considering was filled. Sundance here was very nice and the better of all the local dealers...The dealer here had a pump that they used to move the water from one tub to another.  Hope you get to tryout the Sundance...

Neilg

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 05:12:08 pm »
I'm about to finish my shopping for a tub & found that if the dealer had the tub on the floor, they would fill it for me to wet test.  Wet tested one already & I'm wet testing the other 2 finalist tomorrow.  Two of the three filled an empty tub for me to try.  When I bought my last tub 15 yrs ago the dealers did the same.  If the dealer has it on the floor & won't fill it, I'd be hesitant to go any further with that dealer.  As for wet testing another model, you couldn't assume what a BMW3 driving experience would be by driving a BMW6. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 05:12:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42