What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buy direct or from dealer  (Read 2438 times)

Liam

Buy direct or from dealer
« on: October 18, 2014, 09:00:35 am »
I'm mulling over getting an outdoor hot tub and, to be honest, am suffering from sticker shock at the price a local dealer quoted me (six seater, Sundance, roughly $8000 including delivery, set up and cover w retracting arm).  I see hot tubs for sale online (direct) for much less.  I am completely new to this, and perhaps naive.  I'd just like to get a sense from the more seasoned folks out there: is it better to buy direct or to go through a dealer?

Hot Tub Forum

Buy direct or from dealer
« on: October 18, 2014, 09:00:35 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Buy direct or from dealer
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 10:46:45 am »
Buy direct you get a better price. Buy from a dealer you get better support. Buy direct you get a better price. Buy from a dealer you get a reputable brand their expertise has chosen as one of the best. Buy direct you get a better price. Buy from a dealer you get the ability to look at it and test it, dry or wet. Buy direct you get a better price. Buy from a dealer you get to look inside and see how it is constructed. Buy direct you get a better price. Buy from a dealer you get a service guy if needed coming from the local dealer. Buy direct you get a better price. Buy from a dealer you likely get a better warranty that's backed locally.

Weigh those things for both options to help make you determination.
Retired

Water Boy

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 11:03:21 am »
Tman said it well. I honestly believe you will get a far better product as well by buying from a good local reputable dealer. Sundance makes a great spa, and you would be hard pressed to fine one online that would compare quality wise, and with a great warranty. Look at all of your local dealers to compare and contrast. Maybe even go wet test one to get a better feel for it. Good luck in your search.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Quickbeam

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 11:16:16 am »
Hot tubs are expensive. Just no getting around that, but there is also the old adage that you get what you pay for. Shopping for hot tubs can also be a pretty daunting experience. In another recent thread, I posted what the three most important things to me were when we were shopping for our tub. These three things, in no particular order, are the following:

1. Buy a good quality spa made by a manufacturer that's got a good reputation, and preferably has been around a while so you have a good idea of their track record.

2. Buy from a reputable dealer who will give you good service and will stand behind the product they sell.

3. Wet test any spa you plan to purchase and be sure you are comfortable in it.

Given the priorities we had, I don't think any one of these would have been met if we had not purchased from a dealer. Yes, I'm sure we paid more but with that we are pretty confident we got a great spa that will last us a long time, and if there are problems, we have a dealer who we believe will look after us. Really, when you average out the cost difference over the number of years you hope to have the spa, I don't think it will be a huge difference. Certainly it wouldn't have been enough for us not to have purchased from a dealer.

Liam

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 11:44:55 am »
Great advice.  I appreciate it!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 01:32:21 pm »
Buy direct??? Unlikely. Many of these supposed "buy direct" internet sites buy a private labeled or "custom made"  (think lower end) spa from a manufacturer and it's shipped directly from the manufacturer to the curb in front of your house (you are NOT buying directly from the manufacturer). I don't see how this is really that different than buying from a dealer, where the spa is delivered to them, and they deliver it to your backyard... other than the internet spa may be cheaper (and not just cheaper on price).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 01:32:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42