What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sunken vs non suncken  (Read 6545 times)

wjmeehan

Sunken vs non suncken
« on: July 03, 2004, 08:17:50 pm »
Ok the wife and I are really getting serious now!

Today we wet tested the Marquis line - we originally thought that we (actually she) would like a lounger.  But after testing the reward and Euphoria we decided that the lounger (reward) with the added bouancy was not as comfortable and the Euphoria without the lounger.  Also the one of the seats in the Reward wasn't as deep as the Euphoria (we're both tall).
We found that with the added boyancy you could stretch out and get the effect of  a lounger.  Bottom line - WET TEST.  We wet tested the Aniversary edition of the Reward, and the standard edition of the Euphoria.  The pumps on the anaversary edition are stronger and we noticed the difference, so we are now thinging of waiting three weeks to be able to test the anaversary edition of the Euphoria.  Tomarrow we test the Hot Springs.

The reason I say we are getting serious (and the reason for the message title) is that we are now looking at our back deck to plan for installation (I know we should have been looking at this previously).  We are thinking of replacing the deck at this point (I think it probably has about 5 years life left).  But if we redo it we are thinking of sinking the tub and placing it on a concrete slab.

QUESTIONS:

What are your thoughts / advise on placing the tub on a concrete pad as opposed to placing it directly on top of the deck?

What design considerations should we take into account for ease of installation and maintenance if we should decide to sink it on the deck?

Hot Tub Forum

Sunken vs non suncken
« on: July 03, 2004, 08:17:50 pm »

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
Re: Sunken vs non suncken
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 09:11:00 pm »
Been there :) ...

The reward was one of the best loungers for me and helped me to realize i didn't want a lounger and the one seat was simply too "short". I preferred the non-SA euphoria because of the whirlpool option and the "pole seat" that pushes 100% of both pumps. The SA euphoria does push 30 gpm more through half of the tub but I didn't notice a significant difference.  

As for sinking the tub, check out thread:
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1087326788

Good Luck!
e

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 10:42:58 pm »
I have a neighbor that partially sunk his. He has about 3 feet deck all the way around with access via a removeable lattice.  He feels he should have put it in the corner because he has found that nobody uses 2 sides of it.

If you partially sink it make sure the access panel can be removed. This may include making a removeable hatch in the deck.  If you have it fully sunk and its in the middle, have them wire an extra outlet under there.  This is for a trouble light/power tools plus the spa techs will thank you if/when needed.

If you place the tub at the corner of the deck, try to make the access panel available behind the lattice of the deck.  Also if you have planned on setting the tub in a specific way (has stairs or notched corner as an example). The access panel may be in the wrong position.  You may have to ask them if the pumps/moter/etc can be moved to a different wall.
Then there is the cover, the cover lifters have to come off.  More work, unless you design your deck like a convertible.  If so send me the details!  LOL

Another consideration would be, in a flush mount the chance of falling in (in my opinion) increase with the cover off.  Also the step in could be a big one, if no steps or stairs are built into the tub.  Whereas above/on the deck it would be like sitting on a chair and swinging your legs in.  Also make sure your deck can support the added weight.  

Hope this helps,

r100rs

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 06:20:47 am »
I like how mine sits next to my exsisting deck and has decks on 2 sides with the others open. I did however wrap railing around the tub to complete the picture. E-mail me for photo's tman192@chartermi.net
Retired

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 01:31:12 pm »
I sank my tub partially into my deck and put into the corner so that no space is wasted there. I previously posted a link to some pics of it.

We discussed this (wife and I) and found that after building a number of temp bracing (seats) at various heights that the mid point was the best for us for several reasons.  Ease of access and egress. The tub at that height can act as a seat to gently lower yourself in and out rather than climbing over.  It is also less obstrusive visually as it is lower than if it were at full height.  Having the tub flush with the deck was definetly not for us as we found it too weird to be seated at the same height as the deck with all of those feet staring at you. It truly was not something that we felt comfortable like you were looking up at everything.

Lots of good recommendations above about access panels and other tid bits.

Placement of the tub is key. Give this issue serious consideration as it will make your spa experience all that much better.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 01:31:55 pm by doodoo »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 01:31:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42