What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Substitute for Foam Insulation?  (Read 2885 times)

Cayman

Substitute for Foam Insulation?
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:00:28 pm »
Hello,

I might have made a mistake by draining and blowing out my Sundance spa for the summer.  The Kansas summers are not enjoyable to me for hot tubbing so I didn't see the point in running it.  I wasn't sure if it was a good idea but a coworker had done so with his for 12 years without issue.  Upon startup I noticed it was leaking and was forced to tear into it. 

Now that I'm finding and fixing leaks I was wondering if anybody has substituted the spray foam insulation with something else that's effective?   Mine is completely full of it and it I hate the fact it makes things so hard to find and repair.  I was thinking about filling voids with plastic wrapped insulation and then sealing the shell with polystyrene foam board...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for anybody's insight.

Hot Tub Forum

Substitute for Foam Insulation?
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:00:28 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Substitute for Foam Insulation?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 06:48:11 pm »
Sure
Retired

Kev B

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 09:46:39 am »
 Just shove r-22 insulation in there when it is bone dry...don't let it get wet, make sure the cabinet is sealed well.

Sam

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 03:26:57 pm »
Yeah, you can just buy that Owens Corning rolled insulation that they put in walls and attics.  Cut it to fit and fill the spaces with it.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 09:38:45 pm »
I'd wrap it in plastic also.
Retired

Cayman

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 10:16:15 am »
Thanks for the help.

After I insulate I was still considering installing foam board in the open sections of the tub frame and then foaming around the edges (if I don't cut it perfect).  I figured this would create a good insulated seal behind the panels.  I am a little concerned about the service panel though.  Does anybody think creating such a tight seal behind that panel might be a bad idea?  I know pumps and electric motors can heat up and wasn't sure if that might become an issue. Hate to spend the time and money only to cause damage to equipment. Thoughts?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 10:16:15 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42