What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gaskets  (Read 1932 times)

clovett

Gaskets
« on: September 19, 2014, 05:23:38 pm »
Ok so I've ripped foam out of my tub where the water was and as I went in it's not leaking there.  I pushed in with wooden dowels to see if I can find water, nadda.  I don't want to rip out all my foam and it hit me, this tub sat without water for a year and the gaskets may have dried out.  It leaks if the water is running or not and the PVC looks pristine.  The leak is tiny like 1/4 inch of water per day.

So what are the chances that one or more of the gaskets around the suction inlets and / or the light lens is allowing water to leak.  Can I use 100 percent silicone to seal it since there is no real pressure on these gaskets?  I mean a tube is like $6 and a little time to do it right, but will it seal in a hot tub and hold.

Hot Tub Forum

Gaskets
« on: September 19, 2014, 05:23:38 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Gaskets
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 07:16:21 pm »
It's best to take the nut loose from the back and get your silicon under the front jet face if you can. You need to remove enough foam to get some slack in the lines. It will work if done right. New gaskets would be better but is harder. How old is it and what kind of shape is it in?
Retired

clovett

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:36:27 pm »
It's in great shape and is 10 years old.  It was inside it's entire life until now.

I realize it would be best to take it off from the back but I am trying not to do that if possible due to the amount of foam that would be removed just to find the leak.  I used wooden dowels to "poke" areas other than directly on the bottom of the tub and I can't find a wet spot.  So I'm thinking it may be a seal or seals around the three returns and/or the lens on the tub that have dried out due to having had water on them for years and then dry for a year.  The leak is so small and those are large gaskets.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:36:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42