What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Fix-A-Leak  (Read 5811 times)

clovett

Fix-A-Leak
« on: September 06, 2014, 10:12:31 pm »
After moving my tub, a Sundance Marin, 30 miles and putting it back down it has developed a tiny leak.  I say tiny leak as it leaks about 1/2 inch or less per day.  I am assuming it has something to do with the move and that it has been sitting on the same location for 7 years.  Had to stress some things in the move which was not easy on the tub.

I have drained it so I could see the leak water between the foundation and tub dry up.  My plan was to add water to each jet level until it leaked then use the dye method and repair it.  It is full foam and I don't relish pulling all the foam out for a leak this small.

I read about a product called Fix-A Leak which works best for tiny leaks, like the one I have.

So professionals, does it work and should I do it?

Hot Tub Forum

Fix-A-Leak
« on: September 06, 2014, 10:12:31 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Fix-A-Leak
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 10:35:20 pm »
 I doubt the leak came from the move, prolly there the whole time.   Anyhoo leak fix type products don't work well with full foam spa's, it needs air to cure I believe.  That being said for the price it is worth a try, band aid if anything, but it may work.

clovett

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 10:50:16 pm »
That is about the decision I've also come to.  I not only drained my tub I reversed the wet vac and blew the lines out.  I'm hoping that between now and when the product gets here the foam will be dried after being wet.  This should allow a better for a little air around the leak area for curing.

One thing I did notice.  I put the water in cold and didn't kick the heater on for a full 24 hours.  When it ran on cold water the tub didn't leak a drop.  As soon as I turned the heater on it started with this tiny leak.  I'm thinking the hot water causes the leak area to expand, which means it must be tiny.  It also means that to make this stuff work properly I have to run the heater then when it stops drain it and let it sit for 4 or 5 days.  If it works great if it doesn't I'll get a wire wheel and attack me some foam.

Sigh, just want to soak in some water!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 11:13:52 pm »
See if you can get a 110V hot wire knife. For removing big cut chunks to open it up to work. Search hot wire foam knifes. Might be worth it. A must if an occasional repair is a hobby.
Retired

clovett

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:23:38 pm »
I looked into it and decided that if the Fix-A Leak doesn't work I will be removing the foam.  To remove the foam I'm thinking one of these on a drill will rip that foam out in no time.  Then I just vacuum it up with a wet vac.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 11:26:40 am »
I have never heard that Fix a leak does not work with full foam spas. It is worth a try. sometimes it works for a long time.  Sometimes buys you a few months.  Sometimes does not work at all.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

clovett

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 12:36:38 pm »
I also ordered some Plast-aid just in case  :)

clovett

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 08:07:38 pm »
Ok I let the leak dry completely so now I've filled the tub back up but no running any motors or even turning on the electronics.  In 24 hours if there is no leak, I think I can conclude the problem isn't a crack in the hull.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 08:31:43 pm »
 It's a Sundance, very unlikely a crack in the shell.  Not saying it can't happen, but  I have seen only one on a Jacuzzi in 13 years.   You have a water feature on it?   If  so check there first. 

clovett

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 08:33:29 pm »
What's a water feature?

clovett

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 01:54:46 pm »
I measured and without the tub powered on I am dropping about 1/4 of an inch a day.  Going to power it on, heat it up to 102 and put the Fix-A-Leak in.

BTW when I turn on the air blower do bubbles go through every jet?

clovett

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 06:54:08 pm »
Ok the fix a leak did not work, hey it was worth a shot.  Time for the Plast-Aid

That being said before I start tearing out foam does anyone have a pipe diagram for a 2003 Sundance Marin?  I tried to get one from Sundance and they thought it was like "top secret".  It's just pipes.  It would be nice to know where to dig so I don't remove foam I may need later.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 07:25:00 pm »
 Start from the back, stick your hand or a wooden dowel into the foam when you find a wet spot there you go.  You will usually be able to tell where the leak is as the foam should be really saturated down low. Where ever you see a jet, there is plumbing/hoses on the other side.  What I meant by a water feature is a waterfall or something like that.    Best advice is to pick a spot and start digging/probing. if it's bone dry then the leak is not there, move to the next section or corner.  Hopefully it's not a suction that may require the spa being flipped on it's side to fix.    If the spa is heated the warmer the water the closer you are to finding the leak.   

clovett

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 04:54:16 pm »
That's part of why I wanted a plumbing diagram.  I know from some tubs have pipes on the bottom.  Sundance says this one doesn't and all pipes wrap the tub so I am hoping that even if it turns out to be suction I can dig it out.  I'm not sure I can turn the tub over by myself.

Thanks for the tip on the hot water.  I had not thought of that.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 04:54:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42