What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Looking at a used coleman  (Read 10896 times)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Looking at a used coleman
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 09:50:39 pm »
Maxx is lower middle of the road. The chiropractor thing is hype.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 09:50:39 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 11:02:52 pm »
Have you wet tested this spa???? More importantly, has your husband? Just because "it was designed by a chiropractor" (what a load of sales crock), doesn't mean it will be any better than anything else. Maax is generally a middle of the road spa...though, the pros consider things more like durability and fit and finish when judging quality. Comfort is purely a personal preference.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Debo

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 07:37:30 am »
Have you wet tested this spa???? More importantly, has your husband? Just because "it was designed by a chiropractor" (what a load of sales crock), doesn't mean it will be any better than anything else. Maax is generally a middle of the road spa...though, the pros consider things more like durability and fit and finish when judging quality. Comfort is purely a personal preference.

I am taking my husband there today to see it but I don't think we can wet test the tub but I will for sure ask. If he likes it the. I will also negotiate the price but I am honestly NOT good at this! All your advice has definitely helped me and will hopefully give me more courage while negotiating!

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 08:44:10 am »
I agree with Tman.  You would be much better off buying a new, quality tub.   If this tub lasts you only two or three years, what will you do then?   Service is not cheap and it would cost you to have the old tub removed.  There are many good spa manufacturers. Check the threads here and you will get an idea of what is available.   What ever your final decision, good luck!

Debo

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 09:17:44 am »
I agree with Tman.  You would be much better off buying a new, quality tub.   If this tub lasts you only two or three years, what will you do then?   Service is not cheap and it would cost you to have the old tub removed.  There are many good spa manufacturers. Check the threads here and you will get an idea of what is available.   What ever your final decision, good luck!

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, a new tub is not in my budget at all right now. Unless I want to buy Laguna Bay at the "blow out" price of $2800 :-/ Ugh, I never knew this process would be so stressful!

Debo

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 09:36:08 am »
What about a 3 yr old Marque Mirage? There is an older couple selling theirs. They are asking $3,000 but I'd probably offer them 2,000. Any advice on this tub?

rosewoodsteel

Re: Looking at a used colemanP
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 09:37:28 am »
Perhaps saving more money for a tub that will last a while is the thing to do?   Just saying.   Hot tub repairs can get expensive, fast.   If two years is all you want from this tub, than go for it.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 09:45:12 am »
What about a 3 yr old Marque Mirage? There is an older couple selling theirs. They are asking $3,000 but I'd probably offer them 2,000. Any advice on this tub?

Marquis is an higher end product. If it has been well maintained that could last you another 8-10 years. See how this works? Per year the Marquis will be about 1/10th the cost of that Maxx
Retired

Debo

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 10:27:35 am »

Marquis is an higher end product. If it has been well maintained that could last you another 8-10 years. See how this works? Per year the Marquis will be about 1/10th the cost of that Maxx

Awesome. I have looked at this model online and I definitely like what I see. Would I be "low balling" them by offering $2000?

Isaac-1

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 11:24:37 am »
$2,000 might be a bit low, but remember some people just want the tub gone for whatever reason, I have found such negociations start better if you don't start at a round number, maybe start at $2,100 and see where it goes from there.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:26:28 am by Isaac-1 »

Debo

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 12:17:41 pm »
We're going to wet test the marquis now!! Excited! Wish me luck! Thank you all for your valued advice!!

Debo

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 04:44:42 pm »
Ok so the tub was actually a 2009 model and the lady wasn't to keen on coming down on the price. The dealer had told her to sell it for $3500. So I ended up spending $2700. Still way cheaper than the older coleman I was looking at.

My question is, my electrician is planning on straight wiring the tub with a 240v. Is that even possible? The tub has a plug attached to it.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 04:59:56 pm »
From the 2009 owners manual;

Convert 120 Volt to 240 Volt
120 Volt spas may be converted to operate on 240V, 50A. All connections
must be made by a licensed electrician.

1. Disconnect the power by unplugging the power cord from the receptacle,
removing the cord from the terminal block on the circuit board, and storing it
with your owner’s manual.

2. Locate the white wire connecting J11 to J32 on the circuit board. Remove
the wire and discard.

3. For 50A operation, move dip switch 10 to the OFF position.

4. Install 240V power as indicated in the 240 Volt section.

5. Rated 240V, 60Hz, 50A, three wires (#6 copper) plus ground (#8 copper),
[4 wires total].
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Debo

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 05:04:25 pm »
From the 2009 owners manual;

Convert 120 Volt to 240 Volt
120 Volt spas may be converted to operate on 240V, 50A. All connections
must be made by a licensed electrician.

1. Disconnect the power by unplugging the power cord from the receptacle,
removing the cord from the terminal block on the circuit board, and storing it
with your owner’s manual.

2. Locate the white wire connecting J11 to J32 on the circuit board. Remove
the wire and discard.

3. For 50A operation, move dip switch 10 to the OFF position.

4. Install 240V power as indicated in the 240 Volt section.

5. Rated 240V, 60Hz, 50A, three wires (#6 copper) plus ground (#8 copper),
[4 wires total].
Thanks!! Do you think I over paid??

Isaac-1

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2014, 04:04:03 am »
It is all about condition, if it has been sheltered from the elements and everything works I think you did fairly good, not a steal, but not too bad either.

ps you may want this www.marquisspas.com/documents/2009/09_OwnersManual.pdf
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 04:08:09 am by Isaac-1 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2014, 04:04:03 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42