What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Looking at a used coleman  (Read 10892 times)

Debo

Looking at a used coleman
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:31:00 pm »
I am looking to buy a used coleman 471. The dealer says it is one made by Maax. I've seen good reviews for this tub "back in the day" but is it okay to buy one so old? They are charging $3400 which includes delivery. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

Looking at a used coleman
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:31:00 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Looking at a used coleman
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 11:51:48 am »
I am looking to buy a used coleman 471. The dealer says it is one made by Maax. I've seen good reviews for this tub "back in the day" but is it okay to buy one so old? They are charging $3400 which includes delivery. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

How old is "so old"? Does it include some kind of store warranty?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Debo

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 12:29:52 pm »
I am suppose to find out today the actual age. The dealer has to look up the serial number for me. From what I am assuming its at least 7 years old but could be as old as 10 years (based on when Maax was using the Coleman name). No warranty other than if there is a problem within 10 days of them setting it up they will come back and fix it free of charge.

Debo

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 03:47:43 pm »

Just got off the phone with the dealer it's a 2006

Debo

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 07:00:17 am »
Any opinions at all?? Is $3400 to much for 2006 tub???

Topline Mike

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 08:45:09 am »
In my opinion, yes it is.  You can do much better than that.  On the other hand, if you are in love with this tub, I would ask for a 90 day warranty with the purchase.  If the dealer doesn't agree to that, something might be wrong with it. 

Debo

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 06:01:42 pm »
Thanks!! Unfortunately I have called EVERYONE and this dealer is the only one you sells used tubs. Guess there isn't a market for them around here. And it's not possible for me to buy a used one privately cause movers around here charge $800! Oh well I guess I'll pay more but I will ask for a warranty!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 06:17:39 pm »
Thanks!! Unfortunately I have called EVERYONE and this dealer is the only one you sells used tubs. Guess there isn't a market for them around here. And it's not possible for me to buy a used one privately cause movers around here charge $800! Oh well I guess I'll pay more but I will ask for a warranty!

All spa prices are negotiable in some way, especially on an 8 year old used spa. I haven't seen it so it might be a great shape for its age but I think the price should be better and I would not budge on wanting a 60 day warranty and if they truly refurbed it that's not asking for too much for them to honor (there may be some things they exclude but for the most part that's not asking for much).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Isaac-1

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 07:34:23 pm »
Even at $800 charged by movers you might be able to beat that price, or get a better tub for your money buying from an individual.

p.s. just wondering where is here?

Debo

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 07:40:19 pm »
Even at $800 charged by movers you might be able to beat that price, or get a better tub for your money buying from an individual.

p.s. just wondering where is here?

Here is central Florida. I live in a very small rural town called Bushnell

Debo

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 07:41:57 pm »
Any suggestions what a fair price would be?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 08:08:35 pm »
Used, as is, sitting in someone's backyard, I'd go maybe up to $2000.00...and that's pushing the limits, based on condition.  So you'd really be looking at $2800, including hiring a mover. The dealer is just $600 higher....but I have NO doubt they got it for free (or close to), either as a trade in or elsewhere. At $3400, I would expect it to be in immaculate condition! New cover, new cover lifter, new steps, ALL gaskets and seals replaced, new filter, and skirt completely restored to looking like new...maybe even the heater replaced for good measures. Even then, I don't think I'd take it with only a 10 day warranty. 90 days maybe.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 08:55:05 pm »
Agreed, it may have a couple/three more years in it but not a lot more. Getting 10 years out of a middle of the road tub is good. Is paying 1700 a year worth it if you can buy new for 8 grand and get 10-15 years? 6 grand get 8-12 years. Not IMO with that brand.
Retired

Isaac-1

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 09:01:11 pm »
Just my $.02, they are asking over half of new cost for an 8 year old tub, and NOT giving any real warranty with it, would you pay 50% of new cost for an 8 year old car with a 7 day warranty?  Keep in mind hot tubs typically depreciate worse than cars.

Debo

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 09:02:18 pm »
Is Maax not a good brand? I was really interested in it because it was designed by a chiropractor and my husband has a really bad back.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 09:02:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42