What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: pH and Alkalinity Out of Control  (Read 1878 times)

who4ever

pH and Alkalinity Out of Control
« on: September 06, 2014, 02:00:33 pm »
I have a 400 gallon Jacuzzi spa.  Been using the Reserve/Renew system.  I find it impossible to keep the pH and total alkalinity within proper ranges.  I was so disgusted, I drained it and started from scratch.  Added alkalinity up, then Reserve and Renew as per directions.  Immediately my pH is off the charts high (over 8.2) and the alkalinity was low (80.)  This is what always happens.  I would lower the pH with dry acid and raise the alkalinity with Alkalinity Up.  Both would respond immediately.  The next day, both numbers were right back where they were.  I don't know what to do any more.  Can anyone help?

Hot Tub Forum

pH and Alkalinity Out of Control
« on: September 06, 2014, 02:00:33 pm »

chem geek

Re: pH and Alkalinity Out of Control
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 03:48:05 pm »
Leisure Time Reserve is sodium bromide while Lesiure Time Renew is non-chlorine shock (MPS).  The Renew is acidic so should not only keep the pH in control when you use it but would tend to drop the TA over time as well.

The pH will tend to rise in spas because of carbon dioxide outgassing because the water is over-carbonated.  This occurs more quickly when there is aeration such as from spa jets, but even running the pump increases the outgassing compared to still water.  Is your spa not covered?  If not, then there will be more outgassing as well.

What you can do is to target a lower TA level (as low as 50 ppm if necessary, but with your Renew usage I don't think you need to go that low) and you can use another pH buffer that won't be a source of rising pH.  You can use 50 ppm Borates which you can add from boric acid.  For 400 gallons, you'd use 15 ounces (about a pound) of boric acid you can get from DudaDiesel or The Chemistry Store.  Another pH buffer alternative is a phosphate buffer, but that creates a precipitated mess if you calcium is high.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:37:57 am by chem geek »

who4ever

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:26:51 am »
Thank you

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:26:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42