What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance molex connector help  (Read 3405 times)

clovett

Sundance molex connector help
« on: September 04, 2014, 08:20:51 pm »
So I run the tub with cleaner for 4 days.  I developed a small leak on the left side (kinda expected to after moving such a heavy tub that has sat for 7 years in the same location) and the tub shut down.  I checked the electrical circuits and discovered one of the molex connectors from the transformer has been carrying quite a bit of current and is shot.  I need to get a new connector and high current pins.  Anyone know where I can get one of these new?

The tub is a Sundance Marin 2003

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance molex connector help
« on: September 04, 2014, 08:20:51 pm »

wingizzmo

Re: Sundance molex connector help
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:48:11 am »
I just started a demo of my old tub let me look and see if I have one of them on my old sundance I cut it up this weekend .

clovett

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 11:05:06 am »
Thanks but I am really looking for a new one.  The problem is that pigtail carries a lot of current and is a poorly designed connection.  It goes bad after several years and is the number one cause of the watchdog syndrome.  A friend found me a new one.  If I had not found a new one I was going to solder the connector to the lug.

http://thespaworks.com/parts/sundance-spa-parts/sundance-spa-electrical-parts/sundance-spa-transformers/sundance-spa-tran-1

wingizzmo

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 06:25:17 pm »
Ok mine is on a terminal block anyways

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:11:27 pm »
Thanks but I am really looking for a new one.  The problem is that pigtail carries a lot of current and is a poorly designed connection.  It goes bad after several years and is the number one cause of the watchdog syndrome.  A friend found me a new one.  If I had not found a new one I was going to solder the connector to the lug.

http://thespaworks.com/parts/sundance-spa-parts/sundance-spa-electrical-parts/sundance-spa-transformers/sundance-spa-tran-1

I don't know where you heard that a failing transformer connection plug is the number one cause of watchdog, but that is untrue. 

clovett

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 01:18:09 pm »
Can't remember where I read it but yes it didn't specifically say that.  What was said was that the two capacitors and that connector are.  Considering that mine are both discolored and that molex connector is not strong enough for the current it carries that does make sense.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 01:26:51 pm »
Can't remember where I read it but yes it didn't specifically say that.  What was said was that the two capacitors and that connector are.  Considering that mine are both discolored and that molex connector is not strong enough for the current it carries that does make sense.

The bad capacitors were limited to a roughly 2-3 year span. The molex connector is plenty strong enough for the current it carries.  I don't know where you are getting the idea that the connector is not strong enough for the current it carries.  It only carries a small amount of current. 

clovett

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 01:43:33 pm »
Take another look at the above connector.  If that was a chemical thing it would be across the entire molex connector.  When working on power supplies the over current connections always discolor and break down the plastic just like the above photo.  Simply putting high current pins would provide the extra connectivity necessary to make sure that didn't happen.  The connectors simply cost a few cents more which is probably why they were not used.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 01:43:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42