What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Foundation  (Read 15416 times)

Classic

Hot Tub Foundation
« on: June 25, 2004, 04:51:12 pm »
I am in kind of a time crunch here. I recently bought a Jacuzzi Premium 375 (which is 91" x 91") and am having a deck built around it, I hired a deck guy who has installed spas before, but after seeing the latest installment, I am a little nervous. First they poured a 4" concrete slab, which I thought was great, but now he has to raise the hot tub to match where the new deck will meet it, as the new deck is one step down from my old deck, and a continuation, and the top of the hot tub will be flush with the new part of the deck. So, he put 3, what looks to me like, 1 x 4's one way and then crossways and on top of that he put 3 big, I guess 4x4's (maybe even 6x6's) they look like big thick posts lying flat, and then the hot tub is resting on those, these are spaced one in the middle and one on each end. I am worried as this does not provide a complete surface for the underside of my hot tub and this may not fully distribute the 5,000lb filled weight properly. He said that he does a lot of D1 spas, and this is how they recommend to do it....what do you think I should do? I don't want to ruin the hot tub or void the warranty !!

thanks in advance,

Brian

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Foundation
« on: June 25, 2004, 04:51:12 pm »

autoplay

Re: Hot Tub Foundation
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 04:59:11 pm »
I think you should seek guidance from the spa deceptionist. He knows everything,just ask him.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 05:27:30 pm by autoplay »

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 05:45:16 pm »
Hi Brian
I would suggest four 4x4 or 6x6 and a sheet of 3/4 or 5/8 plywood underneath the spa would be safer support.

I would also use pressure teated wood or use a wood preservative on all the wood including the plywood.

Let us know what you decide

Regards, Zz
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 05:48:19 pm by ZzTop »

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 04:51:40 pm »
Egad.  :o

Check with your dealer on this one regarding what supports will and will not play into the warranty.  

I own a grandee (100" x 91") from hotspring which, when wet, weighs 6k lbs. and was told, in no uncertain terms, that it has to sit on a concrete slab.

I built my own slab, which was 6" thick with a 1/2"rebar grid in it and poured some footers as well, but I was in an odd spot regarding spa placement.

The reason I built the slab was because I was told that for certain models, and the grandee was one of them, *only* a slab or a properly reenforced deck would house the tub correctly.  5000lb is less heavy than 6000lb, but I would still check.

For lighter tubs, I have seen railroad ties used to support the tub, so long as the ties are positioned to hit the "support points" for your tub.  Just make sure it is pressure treated.

Good luck!

-Ed

twok99

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 07:34:05 pm »
With the Jacuzzi ABS pan you will need to have a flat surface.  A thick piece of plywood may be sufficient but you will need it to be treated since it will get wet.

leeni318

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 02:03:17 pm »
just bought a jacuzzi premium j-365...so glad to see you posted twokk..took your advice the last time i was on this message board...and dropped Harrows and went to Dover pools as you suggested...WOW....saved $2000.00.....thanks a ton....to get back to the topic...we too are now in a quandry as to what to do for a foundation....wanted to used brick and someone said..it would ruin the bottom of the tub...husband (who is not that savvy in these matters...) decided to use gravel and then the pressure treated board...i e-mailed jacuzzi as to their advice re..foundations, but have heard nothing as yet...any suggestions for a foundation that is not too difficult to do....thanks ....

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 03:38:37 pm »
The EZ pads are simple enough to install.  
Brewman
Brewman

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 11:13:16 pm »
Screw HARROWS from the New York City Area and New Jersey area...They are rip OfffsThey wanted $7200 for the Jacuzzi J-355 while Dr Feelgoodes from the Bethlehem Poconos area wanted $5995....Big Difference.Johnny Thunders

twok99

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 12:05:29 am »
A jacuzzi on brick would be fine, just as long as it is level and has a good base 2-4 inches stone 1/2 - 1 in gravel, packed real hard.  That would be the most work and most expensive (but it would look the best).  Alternatives could be either an e-z pad or deck, an e-z pad would be the easiest.

Ready2Buy1

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 01:19:15 pm »
We have ours spa sitting on pavers to match the rest our of back yardscape. The pavers are sitting on 4" of screenings that are on top 10" of compacted "modified" stone. The pad is rock solid...

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2004, 01:38:25 am »
Here's what you should have. either 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 or (I used cinderblocks) sitting on the slab. Next you need to have an even distribution so you need wood. 5/8 plywood will not do it. Get 3/4 inch "marine" grade plywood. (about 80 a sheet compared to 25 for plywood) You'll only need 2 sheets.  The marine grade is ment to handle the wet conditions and outdoor life.  My tub sits 18 inches above the deck. The dealer tried to tell me they wouldn't honor warranty because they never saw that method before. I then asked him if sitting on top of deck was ok. He said yes. I said, well deck is usually 12 -16 inch on center with decking material. The cinder blocks I used are 9 inches apart and the Marine grade plywood is stronger that most decking. He conceeded same and finally agreed my installation was acceptable. (BTW it wasn't my idea I got it from a very reputable Sundance dealer) Good luck!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2004, 01:38:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42