What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New owner  (Read 2812 times)

clovett

New owner
« on: August 24, 2014, 12:49:01 am »
I've been looking for months and this is the tub I've decided on.  As you all know there is a lot of junk on Craigslist.  This is a jewel

2007 Sundance.  I believe it's a Marin

I'm building my foundation tomorrow.  I'll start wiring it on Monday.  It needs a circulation pump I'll be ordering that on Monday.  I'm getting a modern Laing pump.

I'm hoping to pick it up by the weekend.

My first task is to use Ahh-Some Bio cleaner to do at least one 24 hour cleanse of the unit once it's up and running.  I hope that removes the bio matter in it as it has not run for almost a year.  I may have to do that several times.  For someone who has done something similar it recommends the water be warm.  Any idea what temperature "warm" is.  Anything else I should do to remove bio material?

For chemicals I am going with the Nature2 Pro Supplies Kit from Spa Depot.  It seems to have everything I need to get started and I would love to run the tub with the minimum amount of chlorine.

I never thought I would own a therapy tub.  This is exciting stuff!

Hot Tub Forum

New owner
« on: August 24, 2014, 12:49:01 am »

Kev B

Re: New owner
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:23:02 am »
 Welcome to the world of therapy and relaxation. When you get the tub going, the first thing I would recommend is to bring the temperature up to at least 90 deg and shock it heavily with granular chlorine.
 Run it for a day or two being sure to turn on high speed jets and regularly turn the diverter (s) valves so water is moving through every single jet. The friction of the water will help strip the "slime" from the pipes and you can use the old filter to help pick up the debri and put a new one in when tub is ready to go.
 After running for a couple of days, then I would remove the filter and add the pipe cleaner....run the hell out of it for 48 hours then drain clean and re-fill and put in fresh filter. You still may get a little debris breaking off after all this if it was really bad, but over time it will be fine. The number 1 key to success is having quality chemicals and being faithful to the maintenance routine

clovett

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 03:13:26 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I'm sure many of the people that have been here for a while get tired of posting to new guys.  I've since found a you tube video from the Ahh-Some company that recommends that the water be hot.  Honestly I'm looking at doing this three times over a week before we use it.  I've been out today pulling up pavers and bushes so I can lay down my 4x6's and level them for the foundation.  Hard work but worth it.  If I can get the foundation finished by tomorrow I can schedule a company to go bring me my tub!

My biggest issue is how to get the vinyl siding off so I can run the 220 under it.  I'll figure that out as I get to it.

clovett

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:42:01 am »
I'll just do updates.  Not sure anyone is reading this but it make a nice log anyway.  When I'm all done I'll post all the pictures in the show your tub section.

Found a company to move the tub.  I think $350 is reasonable for a 30 mile move.  It arrives on Friday!

Almost done leveling the 4x6's.  I had no idea that the red dirt got that hard after 3 inches.  I had to take a Stanley pry bar and chip the freaking dirt out, it's like a huge red brick.  I hate blisters.  By my calculations my foundation will set me back about $220 and a major soak in the tub to straighten out my back.

I also found out I don't have to pull the siding back.  I can just cut that dangly thing off the electric box coming into the house and use one of those knockouts to run armored cable conduit out.  I wanted a 60 amp breaker as I am continuing this run to my shop but I can only find a 50 amp GFCI breaker in the Square D homeline series.  50 amps is enough for this model and if I am in the tub I won't be using anything in my shop.  I'm running copper 6-3 with 125ft from Home Depot at $224 and $90 for the breaker.

Also ordered a new Laing 240v recirculating pump, the new series, for $150.   6 ounces of Ahh-Some for $42 and a Nature 2 setup kit with all the chems I need for $80.

Am I missing anything?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:09:55 am by clovett »

Chartreux

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 06:39:22 pm »
I was out at Home depot today and they do carry the spa 60 amp breaker box...was up on a top shelf...get the 60 amp breaker box, you don't want to under power a spa...Plus, with the 60 amp you can always upgrade your spa in the future...They might have been sold out at Home depot, but they could probably order one for you...and you can check online as well...

clovett

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 07:29:13 pm »
They have one.  I was really set on putting the GFI breaker in my main panel because it would just be much easier.  Wiring it for 60 amps means I get to run the heater while the jets are running.  Wouldn't that use a LOT more electricity?  Usually we will be in between 30 min to an hour for the days we use it. 

My question is do I really want the heater running when I am using it, and how much more electricity is that going to use?  It seems like it would be a waste.  I mean how much can the temp drop in 30 minutes to an hour?  I really don't know.

clovett

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 09:09:38 pm »
Nevermind, I looked up the answer.  The spa comes set for 50 amps.  It requires, from what I can find, a dealer to swap out some minor electronics or set what is there and is configured standard from the factory for 50 amps.  Which means if i run both pumps the heater will not come on but if I run one it does come on.  I like this configuration as it give me control over the heater while I am using it.

It also allows me to use a 50 amp breaker out of my main electrical panel.  The tub only draws 40 amps on this configuration and with #6 copper I'm at 50 amps for the distance I am running.

My problem with a panel is I still have to purchase a 60 amp breaker for the main box in conjunction with the outside box.  Why have two breakers when I can have one.

Chartreux

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 10:48:56 pm »
The 60 amp gfci will be closer to your spa about 5 to 9 feet away as an emergency kill switch, depends on how far away by your State regulations...To protect you and your guests ...
Hope this helps and yes it will also be wired into your main breaker box as well...

clovett

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 07:28:57 am »
After much research last night I've decided on my configuration.  The code is 6ft to 15ft which I will adhere to.  This means a 60 amp regular breaker in my main panel running through minimal water tight conduit to the underside of my house.  From there I run under the house with the wire pinned up to the joists to where it comes out to the GFI box.  From there about 7 ft to the tub through water tight conduit pinned just under my siding on my brick foundation.  I didn't realize how important that is until I read about all the false trips of GFI breakers in the main panel and where the conduit is underground and builds up moisture.  From there I'll take the main panel side of the breaker and run it on out to my shop.

Thanks for the reply, helps keep me honest.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 07:28:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42