What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Viking vs Sundance  (Read 12380 times)

essenz

Viking vs Sundance
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:54:17 pm »
So I have been looking at the Viking Aurora III and the Sundance Capri. Both are very similar is size/layout - 2-3 person.

The best price I have gotten on the Viking is $4500 for everything (cover, delivery, etc.,.) For the Sundance, the best price is $7500.

Now I know the Sundance is a much better unit - its the 880 series. But $3000 more is alot. At the end of the day, they both have the same number of jets and power. Yeah, the Sundance has the dual stage filter, the Viking has just a single filter - but its such a small tub to begin with I'm sure a single filter is fine.

I just want a tub that will last 10-15 years with good owner maintenance over those years. If I can get that with the Viking, then the extra $3000 for Sundance is a waste. Problem is I cant find alot of reviews on Vikings. The local dealer (who also sells Sundance, Coast, and Cal Spas) says the Viking is great and real work horse and will last.

Any input?

Thanks
John

Hot Tub Forum

Viking vs Sundance
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:54:17 pm »

Sam

Re: Viking vs Sundance
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 02:24:10 pm »
The Sundance is a much better spa with a much better warranty and is backed by a better company.  There is no comparison, imo.

Viking uses shady tactics in advertising their "6 year" warranty.  If you read the fine print, you will see that it is prorated to nothing after 2 years.  You will also see quite a few ridiculous exclusions, such as leaking unions.

http://vikingspas.com/warranty.pdf

You can pay for the Sundance now, or pay more for the viking in the long run. 

essenz

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 03:34:40 pm »
Do you think its fair to say that the extra cost of the Capri will ensure 10-15 years of quality ownership.

The way I look at it, if I can get 15 years out of the Capri - that $7500 is really only $500/year - or $41/month. I have no problem paying $41/month. I would hate to buy the Capri and then have the same long term issues I would have gotten with the Viking.

-John

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 04:48:46 pm »
Do you think its fair to say that the extra cost of the Capri will ensure 10-15 years of quality ownership.

The way I look at it, if I can get 15 years out of the Capri - that $7500 is really only $500/year - or $41/month. I have no problem paying $41/month. I would hate to buy the Capri and then have the same long term issues I would have gotten with the Viking.

-John

If you take care of it no reason the Capri shouldn't be the last spa you buy.  Less pumps or heater/parts and cover over the years after the 5 year warranty.     Now that might be said for the Viking but I would put my money on the Capri if it were a bet.. 

Sam

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 06:05:59 pm »
I've definitely seen 15 year old Sundance spas that still work great.  I have never seen a 15 year old Viking.  That doesn't mean there aren't any, or even quite a few.  I'm just not really a big fan of Viking.  If you look at the 2 side by side, you can see a huge difference in the "fit and finish".  Viking is a solid entry-level spa, but over the life of it, the price difference isn't really what it seems.  I think you save a decent amount in energy efficiency alone with the Sundance.

Good luck!

Chartreux

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 07:44:51 pm »
Pick the Sundance Capri and $7,500 is a very good price.....Wow...

essenz

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 10:16:48 pm »
Sold.... Im getting the Capri....

Chartreux

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 02:07:02 pm »
don't forget to wet test the Capri if you can...Sundance Dover is the same size but fewer jets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 02:07:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42